Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
My battery(Optima Yellow Top) was dead, would not hold a charge. Anyway, long story short, I was heading to the lake and stopped at the local car parts store, which covered the replacement under warranty.

They did not have a Yellow Top or Blue Top, so gave me a red(which I was informed would be fine for the marine application).... Today, while researching it on WW, it appears that is not the case?

I don't have a big stereo system(stock SAN). We run it quite a bit while sitting, not running.... Did yesterday without issues....

Am I in trouble....or in the end, is the Red going to work fine...???
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-29-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Been using a red top for two years now, only 1 amp running tower speakers. Never had any problems.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
While it is not as suited as the Blue or Yellow top it will work... but its not ideal. I'd try and get it exchanged for a Blue or Yellow top. Ideally Yellow as I find these the best for multi-batt setups... though I'm sure some will disagree as I know the Blue's have a strong following on here.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-29-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
get yellow/blue, they are deep cycle and red is a starting battery. Deep cycles are made to be drained down and charged up many times where as starting batts are not. It will work but will not last as long for sure.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for their input....

Well, that is not the best news....but at least gets me through the season and then maybe I will just buy another yellow top and run them together(assuming this is not an issue?).....
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-29-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
if im not mistaken the biggest difference in the blue to yellow is the battery terminal. the yellow just has regular battery posts and the blue has both a battery post and a stud wingnut configuration on it. 55amp hrs 870cca's each

(Message edited by seaswirlmike on July 29, 2008)
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Don't let it run all the way down - they are almost always unrecoverable if they're totally flat. Same for yellow tops as well, not sure about blue though - probably is though.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-30-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
I pulled this from their web site:

QUESTION
What is the difference between an OPTIMA deep-cycle and starter battery?
ANSWER
The OPTIMA deep-cycle battery utilizes a different chemistry for the active paste material on the plates, and a slightly stronger acid. This chemistry change allows for a much longer life in cycling applications, with only a slight reduction in power.

I think you'll be fine, it sounds like the Yellow or Blue top deep cycle with give you a longer draw but have a bit less staring power.

I have been running a Blue top Starting battery in my boat for the past 3 years with no issue and a Red top in my Jeep Wrangler for at least 6 years.