Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (whistler)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-27-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
Anyone have any good suggestions on how to keep Mud Daubers out of a boat in storage? They seem to be worse in the middle of the summer, one every few weeks is OK....but they were having a party this past week in my boat. For the most part they are entering under the cover around the holes in cover that accomodate the tower. Thanks
Old    mendo247            07-27-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Id offer some advise but i dont have any idera what a Mud Dauber is lol. Is it a duck?
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-27-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
COOP.... OHHHH the joys of living in Texas.. Chiggers, mud daubers, and mosquitos big enough to fly away with a small dog.... You havn't lived until you have been attacked by chiggers. If satan were microscopic, he'd be a chigger.

Mud daubers (also commonly called dirt daubers) look like yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, etc... But they dont sting. They fly around gathering mud to build structures to lay their eggs in. Harmless, but a pain in the A$$.

I wonder if they make those bug zappers with big enough mesh for them to get through? Of course, then you'd have to clean up the bug guts after they explode if you have it under your cover... You could always put a towel down...???

Just an idea, I really have no clue... Maybe move out of Texas where they don't have all the hell bugs.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Like a wasp or nasty fricken bee.

Using a black or dark colored boat cover ensures that nothing can live under it in the summer. It gets really friggin hot under there. But if it's indoors, it won't do you any good. And probably won't help in the winter.

What about those yellow bee traps?
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
ive never heard of them called mud daubers. we always call them dirt daubers. and C.R. is right. chiggers are the devils way to get us back for livin in gods country. the south!

but i have no clue how to get rid of dirt daubers. never had a problem with them too much.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2008, 4:23 AM Reply   
I just got done cleaning a dauber nest out of the threads of my skylon board rack mount!! These things get everywhere. There is no cure.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-28-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Just keep knocking their nests down. Hopefully they'll get the point
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Rene, I live out on Lake Houston,( my baot stays on a lift year round) My last baot could have been considered soem sort of science experiment. I had all kinds of weird and very large bugs partying in my boat pretty much year round. A buddy of mine turned me on to this cheap insect spray ( Demon WP) I spray it every 3 months around my dock and I've noticed a huge decrease in the animal/insect life in my new boat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEMON-WP-Great-Pest-Control-Ants-Roaches-Insects-Bugs_W0QQitemZ200241008226QQihZ010QQcategoryZ75582 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Rene - Adam is right about keeping the Daubers away. Use Demon Max or XP liquid or Demon WP sourced from a insecticide pro. Spray the roof, poles, lift and dock with the spray. You will need to re-apply about every 4 weeks during the heat of summer, but you will see a HUGE decrease in mud daubers and even spiders.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEMON-EC-MAX-16oz-Lasting-Roach-Termite-Pest-Control_W0QQitemZ380049503613QQihZ025QQcategoryZ75 582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The spray is fairly safe, and could be sprayed lightly around your cover with no harm to the fabric. The spray will work as a deterrent to the pests, and keep them from coming near your dock space. Only your neighbors will hate you, as they build their extra nests near their boats instead.

(Message edited by flackpack on July 28, 2008)
Old     (whistler)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I also have to spray inside my boathouse to control insects. My biggest issue is spiders, but the stuff also works for wasps, etc. I use VIPER, and you can get it at TSC. It has a residual effect for 90 days. It may have the same active ingredient that others have mentioned.