Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Looking for feedback. When you guys are looking to buy a used boat, what is the hour range that you look for? and the boat your looking at is very well maintained and is "immaculate" condition.
thx
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
As far as hours goes, it really all depends on how the engine has been maintained. Older boats are naturally going to have more hours on them. Mine has 800 hours on it and runs like new...Just do your research and ask questions!
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-23-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
I've heard two trains of thought.

1. Look for low hours as it will still have life.

2. Look for more hours as its evidence of use and lack of inactivity. E.G. engine compressing valve springs for a long (year) period of time.

Of course assuming proper care and maintenance I prefer #2.

T
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-23-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
I would say if the boat has been used 15-20 hrs a year would be ideal on the low end.

If the boat has been used more than 100 hrs a year I would say then you would be getting on the high end but as long as they were maintained you should still be fine.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
thx! I put on about 160 hrs last year, brand new, 06 and very well maintained. I use my x30 2 -3 times a week. Just thinking with the hours racking up, sell and buy again?????
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-25-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
my 06 has over 400 hrs on it. That is pretty high for most boats. If you like the boat keep it dont sell it.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Mike, that thought has crossed my mind as my boat has 800 hrs on it right now. Honestly though as long as you maintain them they will run a very long time.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
In the past, I had thought about buying a 1 year-old boat from the Aquatic Center in San Diego. They buy new boats every single year for wakeboarding lessons and camps and all, but they put about 1000 hours on the boats each year and then sell them. I always wondered how bad it'd be to get a boat w/ 1000 hours that were all put on in one year. They do maintain them well, supposedly. From what I heard they were selling their 211's for about $40,000.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
I have to say my whole family has boats and the one thing i have seen over the years is the people who use there boats regularly(100+hrs a year) have very few problems. the other half of the family the gets little useless than 50 hrs a year) always seems to be fixing something. this has me thinking that a boat that is used regularly and taken care of well is a better buy in my opinion. my old man has a moomba with just over 1500 hrs. changed all the fluids every 50 hrs and followed the mant. schedule and that baby runs like she just came off the floor. jmo.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
thanks for the input. A well driven & maintained boat definitely is a better option.