Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 4:45 AM Reply   
Hello everybody,

I'm enjoying surfing since two year, but it is a pain in the neck to obtain the good wave.

II'm having trouble to understand how exactly I have to weight the boat, so I need some assistance ;-)))

Do someone have the same boat, and know what is the best set up ? Or even with another boat of course :-))))

Just for your information I have the standard rear locker ballast and center ballast and wedge. I have additional Fly High sac (1x 1100lbs, 1x 750lbs, 2x 265 lbs).

Until last year I had only the 1100lbs, I was using it in the rear locker (surf side) with center and rear locker standard ballast full, but the wave was too short, washy, and with the wedge it was even worst.

So I bought the additional sacs, and my idea was using them like this :

Standard ballast full except non surf side, 1100lbs in the rear locker surf side, 750lbs on the seat (surf side) and 2x 265 lbs in the bow.

Do you think the set up is good like this, or do I have to do things in another way ?

And what about the speed ?

Thanks a lot for your comment !
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-19-2014, 5:04 AM Reply   
Not 100% on this but I believe your Vride hull is the same as my hull? We surf port side, I run 900 rear locker, 500 in center floor, 500 in the bow, 300-400 on surf side seat depending on how many people are sitting there, wedge down. Wave is great. How fast are you going? Faster will make the pocket longer. We run between 10.3-11.5. Check your speed with gps on your phone, your speedometer could be way off, mine was off by 2.5mph before I calibrated perfect pass.
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 7:34 AM Reply   
Thanks Jack.

About the 500 in the center floor, it is what I have as standard ballast. Are you putting one more 500 on top of that or not ?

I run around 10.5, but I didn't check with a GPS.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-19-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
I just threw a wakemakers 550 pound center bag in there, no additional. I run a 500 pound sac in the bow though. I am actually going to try without wedge this weekend, seems to just make the wake really tall but last time we tried there wasn't any push. It seems to be a trial error thing with this surf stuff
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-19-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
I had issues with my 210 wave being short and while they are obviously different hull's, adding weight to my bow extended the wave. This most be done in moderation though as you definitely want more back end heavy for surfing. Bow weight "should" lengthen your waive, and firm it up a bit. I have a 400lb fly high (v drive sac) that I put in the bow. I try and wedge towels under it so it will primarily lay on the side we are surfing. This made a pretty big difference and after reading your post it looks like your adding weight from the belly back, not the bow back. Try weighting the bow a bit and leaving the rest as you had it. You surely have enough weight with the 1100, 750, and the smaller sacs as well, plus factory ballast. Just play with it and don't forget to weight the bow. You'll get better results IMO
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-19-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
The faster you go the longer the pocket gets as well so don't be afraid to play with the speed
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 11:55 PM Reply   
Jack,

what will be the maximum speed in your opinion ?

I heard that too much speed will be definitely not good, and it will be hard to stay in the wave.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-20-2014, 8:10 AM Reply   
I honestly don't know. I still can't ride ropeless & we play with the speed. Seems 12 is too fast, 10.3 used to be the sweet spot but since I upgraded my PP gauge I haven't been able to find it. Wave looks dialed though, I think I just suck
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-22-2014, 10:55 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I tried the new set up over the weekend, end the wave was pretty nice.

I will still try different set up in the coming week, and when I think I have the best one, I will post a picture of it and I'm curious about your comments :-)

Enjoy the new week !