Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Xtreme_Aviator)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-14-2014, 5:42 AM Reply   
Tons of valuable information on this site, hoping to pull some out on a somewhat related topic.

I am looking to sale my wakeboat and get into a bay boat. Epic just started making bay boats that are well setup and very good on the eyes. They are only a few years old, but being from the wakeboarding community, I know Epic is not anywhere near new. They are also priced right.

I have always heard that Epic is very well put together and loved by it's oiwners. Can I get some feedback from Epic owners or those close to Epic.

Any issues with your boats, wiring quality, solid hull, cosmetic issues, hinges, etc?
Have you dealt with the manufacturer for any warranty issues? How did they treat you?
How are resale values?
Favorite DFW dealer?

Helpful nformation is greatly appreciated.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-14-2014, 6:10 AM Reply   
Apparently there is another Epic Boats company. These guys are building a proper 3 piece hand layed skiff in St. Pete. I thought you might like this read.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ld-thread.html
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-14-2014, 7:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Apparently there is another Epic Boats company. These guys are building a proper 3 piece hand layed skiff in St. Pete. I thought you might like this read.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ld-thread.html
Epic the wake boat manufacturer also makes a bay boat though. http://epicboats.com/p-8299-22sc.html
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-14-2014, 7:28 AM Reply   
Epic-Marine, nor Epic Marine (Toyota) - now defunct, are not Epic Wakeboats. I don't believe anyone that ever owned an Epic Wakeboat thought bad about the purchase. Like all manufacturers, they have had to do a few warranty repairs for a few owners, but I can say the 07 23V I own is very sturdy and has treated me well. If you search out some of the threads you will read it is a decent boat that produces a very good wave and wake and few of them come up for resale. Everyone who has ridden in or behind the boat absolutely loves it. I believe Epic was the first to use SeaDek, to have permanent large ballast, quick fill ballast, use a drip-less shaft seal, hull designed flow to enhance the wake, transom audio, and has great free-board to prevent sinking your boat through owner-operator error. If you are a boat snob, then you can find problems in anything, except your favourite brand.

Best advice: drive it, ride it and compare. Remember, most of the parts and components that go in the boat are the same parts that go in other boats.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-14-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
I have a 21V and have logged around 30 hrs. on it and love the boat. Very well built machine. I have had a few warranty issues and between the factory & dealership they have taken great care of me. I use Rockwall Marine for service & repairs. They have a good selection of the bay boats you are looking for. I have been in one and they are super nice boats. I like that Epic uses the Resin infused process for there boats. It makes the boat alot lighter and cuts down on the cost of towing. Go test drive one I bet you wont be dissapointed. Good luck on your search, post up when you get one!
Old     (Xtreme_Aviator)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-14-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
Help me understand this.
http://epicboats.com/p-8299-22sc.html

What is the history on the Epic company?

This is the boat I am talking about, which is made at a plant in Louisiana, by the same parent company that makes what I thought was Epic wakeboard boats. Supposedly some guy in Texas dreamed this new bay boat and seems they are selling their way into the market by offering a perceived great value. They are using the same process as the wakeboard boats, fiberglass infused hull. As far as my research, no other company uses this process. The boat ends up being much lighter, which means faster. It's either that other companies can't do it or that this process is inferiror.

I understand that you generally love what you own, etc, and that every company has their own set of small issues. But from my experience in life, some companies work harder for the customer than others. Some have major dislikes that 90% people dislike, while the 10% owners ignore. What about Epic boat brand?
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-14-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
They started center console boats a year or 2 ago.

Story... This is the short-story.
They started in Kelowna, BC (or was that just the testing?), literally at the wrong time for the boating industry. Had a hull manufacturer in California (I believe it was the same company that did hulls for Centurion) do the first large layups and production runs with the honeycomb resin infused hull . Moved to Louisiana during the recession. Made some Electric wakeboats and a few other products. They make a real effort to have their boats available for regional college events. A 23V was highlighted in on of the Shark movies a few years ago with a pro rider going big, until the shark got him!

Some people can't get past the blunt nose. Not intended to flame, but there are a lot of big 3 homers on this site, some that don't even own one of them. Just look at many of the threads that cone and go. All of the newer boats are a great choice, as long as you can live with your own choice knowing the strong and weak points of all of them. For example, I really like my friends Supra, but I hate the bags (on the floor, on the seats, in the storage) needed to surf it. Everyone make choices, especially with the older ones. If you want a console boat, I am sure it is as well made as the wakeboat series.
Old     (Xtreme_Aviator)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-14-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help so far.

I'm not far from the Rockwall dealership, but until earlier today, didnt realize they sold them. I will go check them out.

Always worry when something seems to good to be true. Wondering if this resin infused honeycomb hull is legit or if it has quirks.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-14-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
I havent had any issues out of mine hull. They say its stronger than fiberglass but I havent seen anyone with an EPIC boat that has hit any underwater dangers yet. I have always woundered if I hit something what the procedure would be to fix the resin infused hull. There is another EPIC dealer in dallas off of 183 & regal row. They have a good selection of bay boats as well. Im not sure what the name of that dealership is but they might be a little closer to you!
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-14-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
I have. I ended up reforming/building the right rudder mount. However, I believe that area is all fiberglass and epoxy, at least it is now. The honeycomb process is used in a lot of advanced structures for the aerospace industry. It is a sandwich design and there is no doubt it increases the torsional stiffness. You do have to attach things in some areas with some care. Repairs can be conventional, depending on what you are trying to rebuild. The boat is very solid.