Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
this is for sale locally from a trusted source. it wasn't used for riding. supposedly only used a few times for a different application.

it's a grinch pro, but it's missing some of the exterior housing, and from what I can tell...it looks like the fairlead was mounted differently for what they were using it for. can someone confirm this? I wouldn't think it would make sense to have it top mounted like this...but I could be wrong.

also, the round plastic housing for the ignition is cracked...but it still seems functional. I haven't seen it run yet.

see attached.
Attached Images

Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-02-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
What are they asking?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
they aren't asking anything yet. it's basically a pricey paperweight for them, though. I am playing telephone with my buddy, who is employed by the owner of the winch. at one point, my buddy said that the owner mentioned somewhere in the $1k range.

I'd be curious to know if the fairlead woudl need to be re-mounted, and if I could buy replacement parts for the exterior housing.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2014, 8:23 PM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-03-2014, 6:56 AM Reply   
Offer them 500 bucks if it runs. I wouldn't get close to $1000 considering you can buy a built working winch for around $1000. The fairlead has been relocated but that looks like an easy fix. I know these winches cost nearly $3000.00 new but thus thing looks abused.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-03-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
yeah, I guess at this point the better question would be, what would it be worth to buy for parts? I am gonig to have to either source the rest of the exterior housing, or try and have something fabricated. also, the ignition switch needs replaced. so far, I haven't heard back from distortion as to whether they sell replacement housing.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-03-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
You don't really need the housing for it to work. If it was me I would get it as cheap as possible and keep it cheap. Is that duct tape on one of the spool walls? An ignition switch can probably be picked up at an auto parts store.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-03-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
yeah, that's duct tape, not sure why it was there...it's not holding the spool together, if that's what your'e asking!!! that would probably be a bit of a red flag!
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-03-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
skynard, have you used one of these particular winches before?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-03-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
No, I am actually building my own now. I have only used and had experience with 2 other home builds.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-14-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Out of all the winches that you can buy ready to go the three distortions (grinch) I've ridden we're the crapiest. Way overweight, one couldn't keep the chain on and non releasing spool was a pain when trying to swim to the start spot. If I had to own a grinch I'd take all those covers off.
I agree; offer them 500$ but no more.
Also curious to know what "other application" it was used for outside of board sports.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
i still say build your own. here is a shot from the other day
Attached Images