Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-07-2014, 10:08 PM Reply   
I want to kill two birds with one stone and get a helmet that I can use for both sports... Does anybody have any ideas.. I'm looking for a helmet that will fit comfortable and have decent looks and of course protect me from injuries?? Please give me your opinions
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
Bern would be my choice, but any good snowboard helmet with a liner won't hold up long getting wet. Triple 8 and others make "shell" type helmets that would work. One big thing to me is ear protection, I could care less how it looks, but companies seem to have quit making options with ear protection in wake helmets. To me ear protection is more likely to come into use than the actual helmet.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
Although I use a TSG helmet dedicated to snow (Arctic Kraken), my 17-year-old uses my TSG wakeboard helmet and loves it. She uses the TSG Evolution and it's got flaps for your ears (to prevent ear drum impact) that double to keep your ears warm on the slopes. Of course, she uses it on the water when she hits rails too.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
TSG looks great! I was not aware of their options.
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-08-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Although I use a TSG helmet dedicated to snow (Arctic Kraken), my 17-year-old uses my TSG wakeboard helmet and loves it. She uses the TSG Evolution and it's got flaps for your ears (to prevent ear drum impact) that double to keep your ears warm on the slopes. Of course, she uses it on the water when she hits rails too.

What is the difference between the snowboard helmet and wakeboard??? And is the insulation hard to dry out?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-08-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
The wake helmet it all waterproof, so there is no drying out of the insulation. None of it can get wet. The difference as far as I can tell is warmth. The waterproof foam doesn't provide as much warmth and the ear flaps don't really keep your ears warm. Also, you don't have a goggle clip on the back of the wake helmet.
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-08-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
The wake helmet it all waterproof, so there is no drying out of the insulation. None of it can get wet. The difference as far as I can tell is warmth. The waterproof foam doesn't provide as much warmth and the ear flaps don't really keep your ears warm. Also, you don't have a goggle clip on the back of the wake helmet.

Alright I appreciate that
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-09-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
I just bought a Bern helmet for both sports. They are loved by snowboarders and you can get a water liner for wake boarding.
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-09-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeventures View Post
I just bought a Bern helmet for both sports. They are loved by snowboarders and you can get a water liner for wake boarding.

Where did you get it from and what was the price on it?
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-09-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
I need some more opinions on this top because wakeboarding season is coming up! And Defiantely need a helmet. I would like to kill two birds with one stone
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-10-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
Bern Watts Hard Hat may be an option. it has a summer and winter liner.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-10-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
FWIW, I wear a helmet for snowboarding but no helmet for wake. I only ride boat. My opinion is if you get one for both you'll be sacrificing function and will end up ditching your in between helmet and buying one for each, which is what you should have done to begin with. The liners and flaps for a snow helmet aren't meant for water. A water helmet won't keep your noggin warm without a beanie underneath, which will significantly change the fit of the helmet, further defeating your efforts. And, as others have already pointed out, a water sports helmet lacks the goggle strap clip. You could wear goggles with the strap underneath, but that just looks silly, and will even further change the fit since, if you recall, you already need to wear a beanie underneath.

Just do it right the first time.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-10-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
You could wear goggles with the strap underneath, but that just looks silly
I don't know about that... Seems like Olympic Slopestyle medalist Nick Goepper does just fine with goggles under the helmet... Just sayin.

That said, it wouldn't be hard at all to glue on a little clip. On my helmet, the "clip" for the goggles is just two snaps and a piece of elastic between the two. Wouldn't be that hard to retrofit.

That said, there's really not that much insulation in the liner of a snow helmet. The pads are only there to pad the hard foam of the helmet from your head.

And it doesn't take much to say warm. I wear a super thin Serius Thermax Balaclava and I've ridden with that in temps of zero to negative farenheit.

If warmth was that big of an issue, it would be pretty easy to throw on a helmet cover.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-10-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have a Smith Variant helmet with the built in speakers for snowboarding and love it.

I have whatever cheaper style Pro line (?) helmet that OWC sells for riding cable.

I would suggest getting a helmet specifically for each sport.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-10-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I have a Smith Variant helmet with the built in speakers for snowboarding and love it.

I have whatever cheaper style Pro line (?) helmet that OWC sells for riding cable.

I would suggest getting a helmet specifically for each sport.
Great point! I LOVE the skullcandy speakers in my snowboard helmet. nice to have tunes while riding for me. I have a cord that clips on my jacket that has a volume dial and a push button mute button that I can do with my gloves on. That way I can be social on the chairlift easily. I also have some Outdoor Research touch tech gloves so I can use the touchscreen on my phone with gloves still on. I love me some gadgets!!!
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-11-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I don't know about that... Seems like Olympic Slopestyle medalist Nick Goepper does just fine with goggles under the helmet... Just sayin.

He rides great. He looks silly.