Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-28-2018, 11:21 AM Reply   
Apologize for the double post here and at Centurion Crew, but I figured it might be tough to get a response this weekend. I’ve been away from the wake scene for a few years (kids will do that to you), but we’re ready to get back on the water.

I’m in the process of closing a deal on a 2006 C4 Avalanche in very nice condition. Before I do, I have a couple questions as I’m hesitant to trust anyone in a used vehicle transaction. This is being sold by a guy in Rancho Cordova, CA who both services and buys/resells boats. We’ve agreed on a price and will be lake testing this week followed by him taking me through the boat mechanically. At this time of year, a third-party presale inspection is tough to come by without waiting a couple weeks minimum.

1) I’ve read that the boat history reports are essentially a waste of money—is there anything else I can do to verify that nothing major has happened to the boat? Can my insurance agent look for past claims based on the HIN?

2) Many of you have talked about the Enzo sac that sits in the rear locker and then goes forward under the port or starboard seats. In this boat, there’s a bulkhead under both rear seats that divides the under-seat storage from the locker. Is that standard? Edit: Is this just the front edge of the hard tank?

3) Anything I should be looking for when it comes to red flags that there was some previous major issue (like accident or sinking) with the boat that’s been covered up?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...It’s always appreciated.

Tony

Last edited by h2ohangtime; 05-28-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old     (prorider17)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-31-2018, 11:45 AM Reply   
The Avy C4 is a kick butt boat, especially for surfing and rough water riding. My lightning C4 is based on that boat's hull, but is slightly smaller and narrower. Couple things to think about:
1. Is it a storm 1, 2 or 3? 3 has the most options. If you have hard tanks in the rear, I'm assuming you probably have the hydraulic center tab and all the goods. Likely a storm 3 which is good.
2. I have no idea if you can lookup past incidents with a boat's HIN, but it's worth a call to your insurance company to ask.
3. I would need a photo, but it sounds like your tanks are filling that opening. To run an enzo sac, you would need to remove the hard tank.

When looking at the boat, look for cracks in the tower, gel coat and underside. Check for water leaks around the prop shaft. Make sure it idles well, holds speed correctly on the perfect pass, etc. Go through the whole list of buttons to ensure everything does what it does. Check for corrosion around the motor mounts, engine block, v-drive, as well as, under the driver helm.

Does it have the black scorpion 330 or the standard Mercruiser? The scorpion was an upgrade and worth it.