Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-25-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
this will be my third year wakeboarding. I had been riding behind a Yamaha jetboat and for this year we got an Axis A20. With a real tow boat now, im looking to improve/take my riding to next level. Check out the vid and leave feedback, hoping to add more pop and distance to jumps.

We picked up the Axis on Saturday and I went for a quick set:

line was short I think 50/55
speed: around 20
ballast were not full, I'm thinking around 1500lbs
no wedge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE5e4ETN1PQ

Alex
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
You'll here it a thousand times, and that still won't be enough! 'progressive edge'. Here's a great vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckkf840HZE4
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2016, 11:48 AM Reply   
another thing to think about...just like you 'wait for the boat' to pull you up and out of the water, you also wait for hte boat to pull you back into the wake after edging out. looks like you're turning into the wake. instead, coast out and flatten off your edge...then wait for the boat to pull you back in, then you gradually apply more and more heelside edge pressure by resisting the boat's pull, and edging progressively harder.

if you do this, and also think about extending your legs before you hit the lip...not in the same instant...you'll discover the all important POP>
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-25-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
Not that it will help your technique but, Why No Wedge???
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-25-2016, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Not that it will help your technique but, Why No Wedge???
That was my first ride on the Axis on Saturday..quick set since water was cold(49*). I will def use the wedge this weekend.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-25-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by naptownwake View Post
another thing to think about...just like you 'wait for the boat' to pull you up and out of the water, you also wait for hte boat to pull you back into the wake after edging out. looks like you're turning into the wake. instead, coast out and flatten off your edge...then wait for the boat to pull you back in, then you gradually apply more and more heelside edge pressure by resisting the boat's pull, and edging progressively harder.

if you do this, and also think about extending your legs before you hit the lip...not in the same instant...you'll discover the all important POP>
Thanks Jack, I appreciate the input. Yes I know I need to work on edging for sure. I'm hoping now with a new boat I can actually focus on my riding...it was painful riding behind the Yamaha.
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-25-2016, 5:18 PM Reply   
One thing it appears your doing that I also had a big problem doing was not standing tall into the wake. I would bend my knees and absorb the wake so that it limit the height of my jumps and made it much harder. As soon as I learned to stand against the wake I could hit it with half the force and go twice as high.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-25-2016, 6:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadssv View Post
One thing it appears your doing that I also had a big problem doing was not standing tall into the wake. I would bend my knees and absorb the wake so that it limit the height of my jumps and made it much harder. As soon as I learned to stand against the wake I could hit it with half the force and go twice as high.
yes, you are correct. It seems that I sort of stand too soon..legs are bent and never fully extended into the wake.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       04-26-2016, 4:13 AM Reply   
A good site for info and you can post your videos for review is learnwake.com

Check it out.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-26-2016, 4:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
A good site for info and you can post your videos for review is learnwake.com

Check it out.
I will, thanks!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2016, 7:06 AM Reply   
I made this video last year for a friend that was leaving early up and absorbing the energy of the wake by bending her knees when she should be pushing off. You can see her absorb the wake, and me pushing off of the wake, and the difference in the result.

Last edited by jarrod; 04-26-2016 at 7:07 AM. Reason: edit
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-26-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I made this video last year for a friend that was leaving early up and absorbing the energy of the wake by bending her knees when she should be pushing off. You can see her absorb the wake, and me pushing off of the wake, and the difference in the result.

Excellent, thanks Jarrod. That's exactly what I;m doing now and not pushing off. How long have your friend been riding? Is she pushing off the wake correctly now?
I'm also riding a 2015 CWB reverb this year, I like it thus far..awesome board
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2016, 7:35 AM Reply   
She's doing better. She's been riding for 2 full seasons. She can do wake to wake 180s both ways and couple grabs.

Great board. I love the reverb.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-27-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
She's doing better. She's been riding for 2 full seasons. She can do wake to wake 180s both ways and couple grabs.

Great board. I love the reverb.
yes, I watched some of your other videos, great stuff man.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       04-27-2016, 10:53 AM Reply   
Hey J, Great videos.
Just curious what speed and rope length you are running at?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-28-2016, 9:20 AM Reply   
A few years ago I brought my rope back into 70' after going to camp and riding with Schweene, Conor, BG and the team there. It took way too long for me to figure out that 70' is my place. I also ride very slow at 22.2, so the wake is wide like it would be at 75-80 feet. I learn new stuff at 65 and 21mph.