Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-15-2013, 7:41 PM Reply   
Also, who repaints a Malibu and brands it Glastron?!?! The guy I had to share the lake with on Saturday, that's who. I'm minding my own business, towing a buddy behind the old i/o...upgrade to a real wake boat sooner than later I promise. Until the incident we are just out having fun, not power turning, tubing or anything annoying, and we're sharing the good riding spots. Then this guy, parked on the beach in his "glaston" branded wakeboat (actually a fairly recent model Malibu..why?), while I'm towing a rider, flys out into the riding area, cuts me off, does 3 dounuts, and re-parks at the beach. I make one more pass and this time he leaves the beach, jumps my wake(way too close to my rider), more dounts, and reparks. I could barely contain myself. We left without much confrontation because it seemed confrontation is what they wanted and I'd rather leave than get hyped up even more. It was close to sunset anyhow and seemed the way to go especially when there were 6 or 7 of them and two of us. When we left, they didn't start riding, just stayed at the beach. WTF.

Now that I've ranted I have a few Q's:

- Would you have called lake patrol? Could they have done anything other than hassle them?
- This was on Percy Priest Lake. Are you on here Mr. "Glastron"?
- Anyone know why you would re-brand a boat like that? Stole it? Bought a stolen boat? Just quirky? On drugs?

One positive note: Earlier in the day we taught a brand new rider, a newish rider cleared the wake in control a few times, and my wake to wake 180's were better than ever. Also, I did't get a concussion trying 3's Not much compared to any of the tricks in the pics and and videos I see on here but a great day in the books for us.

- Cheers (unless your own a malilston, then you should loan me your boat in penance. You can ride my I/O next weekend).

-
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-15-2013, 9:14 PM Reply   
the reason the guy was being a doosh was because he had his nice boat beached. every time you would ride by it would send rollers rollers his way, possibly beaching it more, making damage, making him have to monitor his boat. so mama bear gets protective and goes do donuts, messes up the water to make you leave so then he doesn't have to babysit baby cub. since the first fly by didn't work he had to get even more dooshy.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-15-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
call me an instigator but I love and hate when this happens. Story time! Ive had a beached boat do this and two fisherman boats as well in my boat life time. when I saw this move being played we brought in our rider, wait a bit (for them to settle down or go back to the beach) nonchalantly kinda idle towards there area, then when we got close enough we crank up Boy Georgie's "do you really want to hurt me" and then circled the fisherman at about 15 mph (nasty rollers) a few times while we wave as if we're best friends. same thing to the beached boat scenario but that one was even funnier. THEN we leave and find another riding spot. ya I instigate sometimes...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2013, 4:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
call me an instigator but I love and hate when this happens. Story time! Ive had a beached boat do this and two fisherman boats as well in my boat life time. when I saw this move being played we brought in our rider, wait a bit (for them to settle down or go back to the beach) nonchalantly kinda idle towards there area, then when we got close enough we crank up Boy Georgie's "do you really want to hurt me" and then circled the fisherman at about 15 mph (nasty rollers) a few times while we wave as if we're best friends. same thing to the beached boat scenario but that one was even funnier. THEN we leave and find another riding spot. ya I instigate sometimes...
You, sir, win this thread.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2013, 4:25 AM Reply   
I've had fisherman troll "casually" into my line before, because there's totally so many biting fish at 100 feet deep in the middle of the lake right? Because they can't take the rollers. The solution is easy, hold the line, chances are its a lot worse to go thru my rollers close rather than the 750+ feet away you were when they were broken up, yea that's what you get for causing trouble, plus it's fun to see the look on their faces when a couple close rollers dip the bow in and whatever ass-hat was running the trolling motor gets his shoes wet. Then they usually run up your butt while you have a rider in tow, they get really mad when they have to power down from 65mph to go thru your rollers.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-16-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
the reason the guy was being a doosh was because he had his nice boat beached. every time you would ride by it would send rollers rollers his way, possibly beaching it more, making damage, making him have to monitor his boat. so mama bear gets protective and goes do donuts, messes up the water to make you leave so then he doesn't have to babysit baby cub. since the first fly by didn't work he had to get even more dooshy.
Hadn't thought about that. If he is dumb enough to beach a boat on the rocks he may be dumb enough to not own an anchor.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-16-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
Post a pic of the Glastron Malibu
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Post a pic of the Glastron Malibu
This!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Calling the cops and reporting a drunk boater that is threatening skiers and other boaters is a good way to get the heat out. They will come out and put the guy through the full shakedown. Otherwise doing what DC mentions can be fun. If the other boat is back on shore, I like to throw a triple up roller at them. It takes some skill to have the V hit right where they are, but if it does, hilarity ensues.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-16-2013, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hilarious. Wish I could've been there to see this.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-17-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
I failed to take a pic. I know, 1,000 lashes for that. Pretty sure it was an '07ish LSV. The Glastron emblems were exactly where Malibu is normally written.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
Always amazing to see how people act like they own the lake and mess up the day for people trying to have a good time. If they don't like rollers being thrown their way maybe they should not be out, do they get out of control as well when the wind causes white caps? I would like to imaging this guy gets in a rage when the winds kicks up a bit and does donuts in retaliation to crappy weather.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-17-2013, 2:13 PM Reply   
You never call the cops!!! They will end up hassling you too. There are plenty of other options. Since they were parked on a beach then you can do what was mentioned above and throw triple up rollers at them. If you can time it right and the vee converges right at them it will be epic I promise. Another option for the less skilled driver is move everyone to the side of the boat that would face this ass hole then drive by at about 9 to 12 mph and throw a surf wake on him. This works even better if you catch him out in the middle so you can just circle him. If the problem is Sumone following you to close then you can *** em up whale wars style!!! Keep sum tangled, floating, dark colored road on board and ready. Simple drop it over the side of your boat and watch as he runs over it and tangles it in his prop. We've had fishing lures cast in front of us, guns pulled on us and the usual bird finger followed by harsh words. It's always just a show for us. Try and enjoy these folks making a fool of them selves. One time a bass boat parked and started fishing our line that we had been pulling all day so we just kept riding. He threw a unopened Gatorade bottle at my rider but missed by a mile. Next pass I slowed down and my rider scooped up the Gatorade. Chugged most of it then threw it Back INTO his boat and yelled thanks for the drink!!! He flicked us off and then left. It was great. Then sumtimes you'll have the jerk that will take off in front of your boat trying to mess your water up. In these cases if your riding cut outside the wake and work on tricks over there rollers. Make sure they see that there rollers have been fun. Good luck and for real find the comedy in these situations and enjoy them. It makes them even madder.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-17-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
Good job on walking (driving) away. I don't think I could have done that.
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-18-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
I agree with Joe Jones, NEVER call the cops. They always get peeved when they get called out and they try to make it worth their time by writing as many tickets as possible.

I have done the throwing rollers, start surfing, and such. I have just started driving up to them, and telling them to their face they are being douche-y. I have done this a couple times with tubers, power turners, and people trying to get to close to film or watch. If that doesnt work, then I always pull out my phone take a picture and say something to the effect of, "Smile, this is going to make it easy." They useally leave or understand.

The thing that angers me the most are tubers with kids about 8 to 12. For some reason they believe that they own the lake and everyone should bow to them. So they are in a sweet ski/board cove, and cutting off everyone in the cove ruining the water, believing they have the right, because they have kids. Every time I go up and politely let them know that they are being rude, and ruining it for everyone, and could they just go outside the cove, so they could block others from coming in, I always get yelled at. They go off on me telling me I am rude, and an ass. Its not until I tell them that what they are doing is illegal (tubing has to give way to board/skiiers for a cut in power does not endanger a tuber as it can a skiier/boarder) until they either shut up or leave.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-18-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Another excuse to get a bigger boat! Enjoying the stories here.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-19-2013, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by annq42 View Post
They go off on me telling me I am rude, and an ass. Its not until I tell them that what they are doing is illegal (tubing has to give way to board/skiiers for a cut in power does not endanger a tuber as it can a skiier/boarder) until they either shut up or leave.
I'm curious. Is this actually a law? And what state?
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-26-2013, 10:41 AM Reply   
Not sure I would laugh or push the buttons of someone pulling a gun on me. Sounds like a good way to end up dead.

To the OP I wouldn't have called the cops over that, he was just being a dbag. When they start endangering people's lives is when you call the cops. Boats following too close directly behind riders. Boats cutting off or otherwise seriously endangering people's safety.

Another idea would be a somewhat decent paintball gun on full auto. People are typically in swimsuits which to a paintball gun you might as well be naked. Throw a couple ropes their way and I bet they'll stay out of range. Juuuust kidding.