Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-13-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
I am looking to install a set of speakers at rear/transom of our boat above gunnel behind grab bar on our Malibu VTX. Wondering if anyone else has done this project and how it has worked for them. Have rear channel of my 5 channel amp that's not being used and looking to add a Pac LC1 in-line for that channel feed so I can fade in/out the surf speakers as I have a WS420 to control the tower/boat speakers.
We/wife/crew are just tired of having the riders music hammering 3-8hrs a day while surfing (also have 2 young grandkids) and want to enjoy the "in-boat" environment but still have music for riders without being blown out by tower speakers all day. Any pics, tips, ect...appreciated. Thanks
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-13-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
Pic of area looking to install speakers. Right behind the grab bar. Come on now,,,we can't be the only ones thinkin of this, someone has to have some ideas, input or pics of a install??? Epic boats can't have the corner on the market of this idea,,,can they?
Attached Images

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-13-2014, 8:59 PM Reply   
The reason Epic is the only one to do it, is because it looks like crap. And why would you want to litter the transom of your boat with ill performing coaxial speakers, when you can just do it right and throw some "surf speakers" or revs up on your tower?
Will sound better, perform better, look better. Win-win-win
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-13-2014, 9:33 PM Reply   
JM,,,Now that's an opinion, point well taken, I mulled it over all last season. We have 4 WS speakers on the tower already, plenty loud and clear, but also to everyone in the backseat area. I am going to use two WS XS-650 speakers so hoping they won't be ill performing. Heck, the surfer is fairly close to the boat and I'll have 100w to each speaker so hoping it will be sufficient to say the least. After discussing w many friends who rode with us last two years consensus led me to want to try this to have a better in boat experience, especially w a lot of my friends having kids,(my kid included, 2nd grandbaby on the way in March) it just seems like it would give rider music and more enjoyable in boat time. Appreciate your feedback tho.
Granted,,,I'm not a fan the the Epic transom styling at all,,,,concept yes,,,application,,,not so much,
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-13-2014, 9:40 PM Reply   
Fair enough.
The 650's put out pretty well, but I have some 808's on the way, and I've heard they blow the 650s out of the water. Have you thought about the 808s?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-13-2014, 9:50 PM Reply   
HCLDs on the tower work well for surf music without blasting the inside of the boat. You just have to aim them right, so when the boat is weighted with the transom down, they will be shooing straight back. When the boat is level or on plane they will look like they are pointed slightly up to the sky at the back of the boat.
It's even better if you have them hooked up to a EQ that lets you shift the volume only to the tower speakers and not the internal ones in the boat. A WS420 works well for this. This setup lets you surf to your favorite tunes and doesn't make the passengers deaf.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-14-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
JM,,, wish I had the room for 808's back there but 6.5's fit the bill without to much modification. Our thoughts and those of a few surfers I run into have been the rider is near the boat and ya got motor noise anyways so we are just looking to have music to rider, not necessarily an audiophile experience back there.

Phathom, have HLCD's on the tower, also have the WS420 for zone control. Nothing can be done on the Illusion tower I have to angle speakers ect... With the tower speakers on for each rider, typically 7-10 people, 2 rides each a day minimum, music loud for each rider = people in boat usually burnt out on music by end of the day, including me and I love rowdy loud music pumping.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-14-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
Rather than make a weird mod to your boat that will potentially hurt resale, I'd strongly suggest getting an FAE. It really reduces the amount of volume necessary for the surfer to hear the music from the boat.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-14-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
Shawndoggy,,,we have seriously considered the FAE but we do most of our boating in a river environment and logs ect...are a major concern. In three years have taken out 2 props and the actuators for the wedge, and hit other stuff that did no damage but a FAE under there concerns me. And honestly,,,the idea of having music out at back end of boat is very appealing to us and my crew and others I have spoken with. I even called some of my friends who have boats and the consensus was it would not potentially hurt resale value,,it fact most I spoke said they thought it would be a positive as so many surf now. I care for my stuff meticulously and wiring, install ect..will be top notch so feeling like it will be a positive in the end run. (when I sold my 94 MC Prostar 205 the guy who has it now in Michigan loved it and could tell it had lots of TLC)
Also, we have no plans of selling this boat for a long time if any, it does all we want it to do and is paid for. Seriously guys, the input is much appreciated tho.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-14-2014, 2:30 PM Reply   
The way the FAE installs on a Bu, you'd rip your prop and your wedge off before anything would happen to the FAE. If knocked, it'll just rotate up. It's also directly behind the prop and only as low as the nut on the propshaft.

Just because you and your crew think it's a good idea doesn't mean Wally the tube puller and Joe the party cove bro will like it. And they are likely the majority of your potential resale market.

This is the cleanest (and most easily reversible) way to do what you are suggesting that I've seen: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...ker+%2Bupgrade
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-14-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
The way the FAE installs on a Bu, you'd rip your prop and your wedge off before anything would happen to the FAE. If knocked, it'll just rotate up. It's also directly behind the prop and only as low as the nut on the propshaft.

Just because you and your crew think it's a good idea doesn't mean Wally the tube puller and Joe the party cove bro will like it. And they are likely the majority of your potential resale market.

This is the cleanest (and most easily reversible) way to do what you are suggesting that I've seen: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...ker+%2Bupgrade
The FAE is barely below the water line. I agree with SD on this one. You'd have to take out a lot more before you took this out... I roll on a river too...1 prop per year lol
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-14-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
I like the idea. Keep us posted, with pics, please...
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-15-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
I must agree with the FAE and "Surf Tower Speakers" Here is what it looks like and yes the rubber bands allow the FAE to pivot up. We took out the power wedge last summer with no damage to the FAE
Attached Images