Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-04-2012, 1:32 AM Reply   
I am toying with the idea of buying an old inboard and making it a project boat. After interior and exterior work is done I want to add a tower and replace the old swim platform. Most of the boats that I am looking at have the old teak platform and I want to get one made that looks like a modern boat. Has anyone had a custom platform made for a boat recently and who did you use?
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-04-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Search is your friend on this one. Many have been done and posted. Easy to build one yourself and have it glassed or even do that yourself as well.
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-05-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Here are a few fiberglass ones we have made in the past.
Attached Images

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2012, 8:55 PM Reply   
That is awesome and exactly what I am going to wanna do! Well have done.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-06-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
nick those look sweet... if you got any build pics please put them up for all to see...any tips? What materials did you use? Thanks man
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-11-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
We are working on a few more, ill take pics and post as we go.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-11-2012, 10:37 PM Reply   
Looking forward to seeing them Nick! Can't wait to get this project going!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old     (riding23)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
Nick, What would you charge for a custom platform?
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-12-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
Yeah I want to know how much too! You could make some easy money if you can beat the price of the 2012 Axis platforms since the old Axis platform doesnt surf great!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-12-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Nick
What do you use for the core to wrap the fiberglass around?
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-12-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
We build them out of molds in the same process you would build a boat hull. First you spray your desired color jell coat, hand lay the fiberglass and add blue water board for the core, ect. We are currently building a few more molds for different sized boats that will be available in a few weeks. Our swim steps start around $600 depending on size, padding and custom options like LED lighting and logos
Old     (filmshoot)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-19-2019, 9:18 AM Reply   
Advantages of fiberglass vs aluminum vs teak?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-19-2019, 10:21 AM Reply   
Fiberglass doesn't rot or need constant maintenance . Teak feels cool looks nice but is constant maintenance . No experience with aluminum
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-20-2019, 4:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetBox1 View Post
We build them out of molds in the same process you would build a boat hull. First you spray your desired color jell coat, hand lay the fiberglass and add blue water board for the core, ect. We are currently building a few more molds for different sized boats that will be available in a few weeks. Our swim steps start around $600 depending on size, padding and custom options like LED lighting and logos
Your stuff looks awesome . Do you have a website or social media page we can drool over . I would love to get a fiberglass swim step for my old boat . I am sick of the teak . lol
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-23-2019, 3:53 AM Reply   
Wetbox,

Your stuff looks great! I have been considering a similar project on my old Supra sunsport, sorta like what you have on the nautique in the pics you shared. Would you be willing to share how many layers and what type of fiberglass (mat or cloth) is required to successfully build a platform like that? You can PM me if you don’t want to share publicly.

My boat has three brackets so probably a 3ft (max) span between each. I want to make sure whatever I build does not sag when adults are standing on the platform, but also want to keep the weigh down as much as possible because I have to take it off every time to get into storage.

I would just buy from you but $600 is too much investment for my old 89 sunsport based on overall boat vale and I probably will only have it one more season after this one and will upgrade.

Thanks for any info you’re willing to share and if you’re not willing to divulge construction process or methods I understand that too.

Again, very nice work.
-dy
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-23-2019, 6:42 AM Reply   
could make a mold of your existing platform, then glass it
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-24-2019, 3:31 AM Reply   
Denver,

Yeah I could but I am really wanting to change the shape of the platform. Those old supras have a shallow platform, like 18” from the back of the transom, and a negative transom angle. So when you’re sitting with your back up against the boat you have like 12” to sit on. I’d like to extend it further off the back of the boat and also narrow it down a bit so that it doesn’t dig into the surf wake.

A little bit longer would make it way easier to get onto and back in the boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-24-2019, 4:26 AM Reply   
so cut the corners/angles where you want them in the existing platform, make a mold and extend it out as far as you want.