Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-05-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
I need a new riding mower and have decided I want a zero turn. Any recomendations? I do not want a giant commercial unit but also do not want something that will break in a few years and be impossible to fix. I have been looking at Gravely, Hustler, John Deere, etc. I want to stay under $3k.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2016, 7:37 AM Reply   
Bobcat,Dixon and Husqvarna are others that you could check out. I would recommend the Kawasaki motors as they are very reliable. Make sure you get a heavy Guage Steel welded deck. They're much more durable and have been designed to create vacuum for a even cut. The stamped decks break easily and don't create a huge vacuum. I personally would stay away from John Deere in your price range. Just Google the Mower you are looking at and forums on problems and common failures will come up. If you are doing your own maintaining of the mower the dealer won't be a big factor other than parts. If not, check out the reputation of the dealer you plan to buy from. Good luck! By the way the springtime is the worst time to try and get a deal on a lawnmower. Winter is the best time.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-05-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with a Hustler but you will be looking used at that price range. I have had one for years and its a tank.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2016, 7:20 AM Reply   
I have a Ferris 500z and it's a workhorse. You could probably also look into Bad Boy Mowers, don't know if they have them in your area but they are nice as well. I would get a used commercial zero turn before ever considering a residential model.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-06-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
I would be weary of the home models. I have 10 acres that we mow about 2 of. After going through 2 transmissions and a few other small problems on my husqvarna while still under warranty. I went back to a heavy duty garden tractor.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-25-2016, 7:50 PM Reply   
how often do you plan on replacing your mower. If you spend 5 k on a good zero turn that lasts you 5 years (depending on how much grass you cut, and yearly basic costs, blades and oil change) you can usually get a service to do it for the cost of the mower over 5 years. I stopped cutting grass, have a service, in SC northern its 8 months of cutting (we have 2 acres) for 150 a month. works out to a new zero turn every 5 years and i never have to do it
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-25-2016, 8:12 PM Reply   
had a John Deere with a 58 inch deck if I remember correctly. Cut 5 acres once a week from spring to fall. The thing ran 8 years virtually flawless. Only had to replace the belts running to the blades, twice I believe. Mainly due to not cleaning the grass off enough. Eventually it needed a repair that was more than the mower was worth so it was traded in on the new model with same specs. The new one has been running 3 years no problems.

58 inch deck might be bigger than you want but the Deere ran well.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-26-2016, 12:28 PM Reply   
8 yrs is great, what was the cost of the mower?
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-26-2016, 12:53 PM Reply   
Doug It was somewhere between 6-7K I believe. Correction it was a 54" deck but when lawn companies wanted $100 per cut of the 5 acres the zero turn made much more sense
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-26-2016, 1:13 PM Reply   
I have had my Hustler since 2001. Zero problems. Came from a lawn tractor and it cut my mowing time in half.