Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-07-2019, 8:01 AM Reply   
Last year I jumped from a 139 to a 144 Murray on the boat. Jumped from a 143 to 148 on cable. Both worked out great for me. It has me itching to maybe even go bigger for this season (thinking 150 Murray for boat and 152 SS Gunn for cable). Has anyone gone up in size and regretted it? I plan on demoing before buying but wanted to throw this out there.

My specs: 5'11", 175lbs
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-07-2019, 9:06 AM Reply   
Nope- Ideally I would like to go to a 147 boat from a 144, but I think I am going to try a CWB standard this year.

I would buy the biggest size possible at a little over 6'0 and 185ish. Kinda depends on what youre riding though. Big juiced wakes make more sense on a bigger board IMO
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-07-2019, 12:30 PM Reply   
Good points. I'm usually on my 13' A22, buddies 08' xstar, or other buddies 07' malibu lsv. None are g23 size, but probably just 1 step below that. I'm hoping ot get down to OWC this spring and ride the G23 there with the 150 Murray. I'll see how it feels.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-07-2019, 5:53 PM Reply   
hate to be a contrarian, but i do think you can go too big...my weight varies....ok this is sad....from 175 to 195...i am old and used to be able to diet more often..

but i have been riding a 144 after being advised to go bigger, and it does feel big and heavy....gonna go back down to what i usually ride at around 141...probably gonna weight about 180...when season starts
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-12-2019, 12:19 PM Reply   
I think bigger boards are definitely beneficial up to a point for a developing rider, but I haven't found going over the top to be that beneficial.

I am an expert rider 5-9 175lbs.

Boat: Depending on the board's area, I ride a 138-142ish. I have attempted to ride a 145 William, but I couldn't tell that it landed any softer than the 140 or that I was going any bigger. I could tell that I was really whipping into my late blind landings and anything thing that switches directions mid-air took more effort. I'm currently on a 139 happy hour. I tried the 143. It was fun to blast fundamentals, but the 139 was a much better fit.

Cable: I rode a 150 Kinetic most of 2017, but the rep needed it for a demo and so he gave me a 144. I couldn't tell much difference. I did have to be a little more deliberate on the the 150 for back-lips. I'm on the 143 Top Notch right now. I'd like to try the 148, but I would be surprised if it blows my mind.

I always advise people to ride the biggest board they feel comfortable on. Most people should size up, but I haven't really seen anyone benefit from sizing up x2. I think it is a bit of a fad for pros, but we will see over time.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-12-2019, 5:27 PM Reply   
After that super long post, I forgot to add that every girl in our group moved from 132-135s to my spare 140 Williams and Bills. They have all been killing it. I watched all of the girls go from struggling to be consistent wake to wake, to being consistent overnight. They are all at the 180s level now--so they don't experience any of the downsides of the bigger boards.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       02-12-2019, 8:46 PM Reply   
Interesting points. Maybe there is a sweet spot in there. I do like my 144 Murray a lot. I do want to demo the 150 just to see though. You do have me thinking if my lady should try something bigger than her 136.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-13-2019, 5:03 AM Reply   
I think it’s imporrant to quantify all of this too-
There’s been kind of a hole in the market for those of us around 6’0 and up. It’s not just weight but also height. Skiboarder on a 142 isn’t too far off from me riding a 146/147 which is where I feel like my sweet spot would be.

A 142 is on the edge of comfort- I try not to ride anything less than a 143 and only if it is a wider shape. There’s lots that comes into sizing a board. If you’re trying to whip around 900s then yes a 150 is going to suck if you’re 5’7 for example
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2019, 9:04 AM Reply   
Nomad 160 in the basement waiting for the cable parks to open in Germany. I’ll let you know how it goes. Big boards are a lot of fun for the slower speed crowd. I’m never gonna go 24mph at 80 feet. Too old for the beating. For the vast, and I mean vast majority of people, bigger board, slower speed, shorter rope turns a beat down into a fun session.

Now if your looking to compete and what not, I have no advice. If you’re one of the rest of the 90% of people, big board, slower boat, shorter line = more fun, fewer concussions, and more intact ACLs.
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       02-13-2019, 10:07 AM Reply   
The secret to a great shape ,,,Is knowing when to STOP...
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-13-2019, 10:18 AM Reply   
"I think it is a bit of a fad for pros, but we will see over time."

I think this statement is true and when it was a fad for pros, it also became a talking point to the non-pros, that they should size up too.

Now to state the obvious: Don't size up. Find the right size for your riding style, speed, skill level, etc....
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       02-13-2019, 12:41 PM Reply   
Were going to help you with the size board right for you ,go get a some butcher paper,raping paper 6 feet long ,tape it to the ground ,have a friend help you mark the paper,,,You know your style and how you ride ,get a 3 foot stick or so,,,stand on the paper and imagine where you would like the nose ,tail and the wide spot have you bro mark it,,,THERE YOU GO ,now you know what size board you'll like...The Wakeboard was the easiest board for me to master,we proto~typed about 7 board and we had it ,BAMMM
Shaping surfboards is soooo much harder ,First Surfing the hardest thing you will try(besides Super Cross)it takes a good 5 years to learn how to surf ,just ok,,,10+ to really start Ripping,and 20 years to have that confidence to take off on almost any wave in the world
BOARDS SIZE Hight + WT +. experience + how good of shape your in + foot size and are you a good athlete...
Attached Images

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-14-2019, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I think it’s imporrant to quantify all of this too-
There’s been kind of a hole in the market for those of us around 6’0 and up. It’s not just weight but also height. Skiboarder on a 142 isn’t too far off from me riding a 146/147 which is where I feel like my sweet spot would be.

A 142 is on the edge of comfort- I try not to ride anything less than a 143 and only if it is a wider shape. There’s lots that comes into sizing a board. If you’re trying to whip around 900s then yes a 150 is going to suck if you’re 5’7 for example
Very true. Physiology plays a big role. I'm 5-9 and ride a 23" stance. That is all the way in on my board (139 Happy hour). 23-24ish has always felt comfortable for my legs. A big board with a slightly narrower than average stance makes for a lot of nose and tail.

If I were 6' with a 25-26" stance. I could probably ride a 145 or bigger all day long even at my weight.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-03-2019, 10:20 AM Reply   
Without reading all the replies bc I gots to get out on the water soon, I've seen so many people get on the 150 and love it. Currently coaching a 17 year old, probably around 160lbs and 5'10". First day he rode the 150 and second day tried the 144 for one set. Went right back to the 150. And so many guys are riding really big cable boards and enjoying em.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-03-2019, 4:45 PM Reply   
shaun, glad you are busy, but what exactly is your point? go ahead and size up? 160lbs for a 150 seems kind of big? that is your recommendation? this is a thread about if people should size up or not...

a big board might seem great if that is what you are used to but not so great to spin or ollie, imho
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-04-2019, 8:21 PM Reply   
Shaun, always cool to see you comment in. I'll be at OWC end of April and planning to ride the 150. I'll be sure to leave my observations from this experiment.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-07-2019, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
Good points. I'm usually on my 13' A22, buddies 08' xstar, or other buddies 07' malibu lsv. None are g23 size, but probably just 1 step below that. I'm hoping ot get down to OWC this spring and ride the G23 there with the 150 Murray. I'll see how it feels.
Oh I see how it is, Rich. My boat doesn't make the cut, huh??? Alright, alright.