Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-24-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
I have been wake surfing a handful of times each year now since about 2010. This last summer I started wake surfing a lot more and I have now started to look a little into getting a newer nicer board. It seems like there are so many different boards out there that I don't even know where to start my search. I have been using a CWB Tsunami from 2010 or 2011. I have gotten to were I ride out 360s occasionally. What boards would be good for me to consider, or is the Tsunami a good board for me and I should stick with it? I am 6'1" and 170lbs. I have looked a little at phase 5 and inland surfer as they seem to be a couple of the top board companies. Also I would want a skim style board.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-26-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
The Tsunami is an entry level board, within the 'stretched' skim group. It is not really a skim, and it is not a surfboard. It is what you get with compression molded technology. Good price point board to learn on, similar to a broadcast, but most advance past it rapidly. If you feel skim style is your thing, then yes, P5, inland, victoria all have good boards. P5 and Victoria are USA made if that makes a difference. There are also a few new companies throwing out some cheap overseas skims based on typical ocean skim designs. At your height, weight and riding ability, you want to be looking at 52" skims and longer. I am partial to my skims, but I could be biased. If you want a fully customize skim board it is the way to go. http://shredstixxusa.com/wakesurfers/chaos-skim

Nick
Old     (rbeckner27)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-26-2014, 5:19 PM Reply   
Talked with a guy from shortbus yesterday he seemed very knowledgable and very friendly to work with. They can make a fully custom board for the price of some of the higher end more commercial boards. You should atleast look into them.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2014, 4:14 AM Reply   
if you want to make an '"investment" in a really good board, then I would look at P5 or Inland Surfer. Their boards are very durable and have years of research and development behind them .
If you want a great hybrid, the Inland Surfer black pearl is great! Single fin skim, or you can add to out fins and have bait of a surf feel. Lots of options, not so one dimension.
See if there is a Surf School by you or local shop where you could demo the boards! That is the best option!
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-27-2014, 2:52 PM Reply   
So are the nicer boards a lot faster and more responsive? Before I go and spend that much money I want to know it will be much better than the one I am on now and what the benefits of the nicer boards are. Not any places around me that allow demoing of boards. Actually there isn't even any shops around me that carry IS or P5 so can't even see them in person and would be ordering online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-27-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
Speed is pretty relative and highly confused, but yes, boards designed to be skim boards, and boards that tend to be higher end, are more responsive.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-27-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Hopefully MIKEnNC chimes in here as he likes surfing. He'll be surfing this summer behind his brand new MXZ22.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
The CWB tsunami was one of the first boards I had. High end boards are so much better, I'd be surprised if you didn't feel the same after riding one. Stay away from the overseas stuff, JMO
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-27-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
So are the nicer boards a lot faster and more responsive? Before I go and spend that much money I want to know it will be much better than the one I am on now and what the benefits of the nicer boards are. Not any places around me that allow demoing of boards. Actually there isn't even any shops around me that carry IS or P5 so can't even see them in person and would be ordering online.

As Matt said the P5 and Inland Surfer are great boards and you will notice a lot of difference in response with the same amount of input. With a top of the line board you will find yourself making small adjustments to speed up or slow down or even carving. When compared to a generic board that requires a lot of input to make it respond. I know they seem expensive but there worth it.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2014, 6:10 AM Reply   
P5 and IS are good boards, but I prefer the Victoria skim style. Some may think of them as more a chick board with Bri the main rider, but I am 5-11 and 180 and they are great boards. They are very fast. I have owned all of the above boards, but my money is on Victoria. the Vic board made me a better rider.

In full disclosure, I must admit that my daughter is a Victoria wake team rider.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-28-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
I don't or not have I rode a Vitoria, but I know they made their boards very "similar" to the piscus and the tellum from calibrated, and after looking at one at cal marine sport I would say they are a very high quality and durable skim, i f I ever get another skim it will be a Victoria most likely
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-28-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
I don't or not have I rode a Vitoria, but I know they made their boards very "similar" to the piscus and the tellum from calibrated, and after looking at one at cal marine sport I would say they are a very high quality and durable skim, i f I ever get another skim it will be a Victoria most likely

Ditto. I'm in the process of selling my P5 Danielo, to try and get in on a 50" Victoria.

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-28-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
Hey Mason, do you like the Agent (piscus) or the Agent (tellum)? I have only rode the Piscus and if the Vitoria is half as fast (which I have heard it is) I would be stoke on it, maybe a 51", I also like how you can pick the colors on them too. The PCX (carbon looking one) is really badass and light.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-28-2014, 10:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
Hey Mason, do you like the Agent (piscus) or the Agent (tellum)? I have only rode the Piscus and if the Vitoria is half as fast (which I have heard it is) I would be stoke on it, maybe a 51", I also like how you can pick the colors on them too. The PCX (carbon looking one) is really badass and light.
If I end up going with a Victoria, it's going to be the PCX in the 50" flavor (offered in 48", 50", 52.2", and 55"). Their prices just got bumped up to $578 (via CMS), so I don't really consider them much of a "budget" board. I've heard lots of good things about them, nonetheless, and would like to give them a shot. I'm also interested in Shred Stixx Chaos Carbon Skim 50"... I just have a hard time swallowing paying $450-$700 on something I've never demo'd! Great to see many options and configurations out there though.
Old     (gunford)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-29-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
Just had Jeff at Soulcraft build me a new DaHonu to match my new X30. The picture doesn't show it but it is blue metal flake and gun metal grey flake.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old     (RIDE_LAB)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-29-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
Check out COVE wakesurfers. Comparable to the top of the line Phase 5's but for half the price. The 55'' would be a perfect board for you. I had a couple at my wakeboard school this summer. everyone that rode one LOVED them and bought one.

www.Covewakesurfers.com
Old     (RIDE_LAB)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-29-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
They are super responsive and fast.

What area are you in?

Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-30-2014, 8:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice. I have a better idea of why to look for now. I am in the Kansas City area.

Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-19-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
I've got a 2010 54" phase 5 danielo diamond for $450 if your interested. its black with lime green pads and its in good condition.