Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-19-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Anyone looking to buy this product. I want one but want to wait and see if its worth the 600$.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-19-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
If you want to try it and not spend the $600... http://www.amazon.com/1080-Launch-Ra.../dp/B00P454W82 and some velcro. The price point on the ronix product should have been $200-300.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-19-2016, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
Anyone looking to buy this product. I want one but want to wait and see if its worth the 600$.
I have tested the Ronix Wakesurf Shaper on a Malibu VLX, Malibu 23 LSV, Moomba LSV, MasterCraft X15 , X10, Correct Craft Sport Nautique, and Axis A22. I am waiting for a ton more feedback from other owners. I will post results.

It works very well as a surf device when the boats are loaded fairly evenly with ballast. I did find that the Malibu and Axis boats wanted a little bias toward the surf side of maybe 100 to 200 lbs. That was accomplished with either using factory ballast or making someone sit on that side. Bow ballast is a must for boats that are heavy in the stern.

It is very easy to use and will last the life of the boat. The only downside is the connection point. We have found that the velcro may start to come off if the boat is moored at a dock in the water for weeks on end. If you trailer the boat there are no issues. I am guessing you will get a couple seasons out of the 3M heavy duty hook and loop Velcro.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-19-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
If you want to try it and not spend the $600... http://www.amazon.com/1080-Launch-Ra.../dp/B00P454W82 and some velcro. The price point on the ronix product should have been $200-300.
I bought that and gave it a try. It is bulky and doesn't work as well. With that said it will work on some boats that don't have a ton of contour to the rear portion of the hull.

If you are into DIY projects you can make something work for less money but it does take time. We bought foam and laid up some fiberglass to make one before we got our hands on the shaper. It took a couple versions before we got it right.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-20-2016, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerwm View Post
I have tested the Ronix Wakesurf Shaper on a Malibu VLX, Malibu 23 LSV, Moomba LSV, MasterCraft X15 , X10, Correct Craft Sport Nautique, and Axis A22. I am waiting for a ton more feedback from other owners. I will post results.

It works very well as a surf device when the boats are loaded fairly evenly with ballast. I did find that the Malibu and Axis boats wanted a little bias toward the surf side of maybe 100 to 200 lbs. That was accomplished with either using factory ballast or making someone sit on that side. Bow ballast is a must for boats that are heavy in the stern.

It is very easy to use and will last the life of the boat. The only downside is the connection point. We have found that the velcro may start to come off if the boat is moored at a dock in the water for weeks on end. If you trailer the boat there are no issues. I am guessing you will get a couple seasons out of the 3M heavy duty hook and loop Velcro.
What material is the shaper?
Old     (Sleddogforce)      Join Date: Jan 2016       01-20-2016, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerwm View Post

What year X10 did you test it on? If it was a recent year model, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how it performed
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-24-2016, 6:03 PM Reply   
$600 dollars? Shame on Ronix. What does it cost to make,$10? I will make one thanks.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-24-2016, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh03r6 View Post
$600 dollars? Shame on Ronix. What does it cost to make,$10? I will make one thanks.
What he said. I plan to make one using some left over foam, fiberglass and epoxy. I'm excited to see how it works.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-28-2016, 5:26 PM Reply   
Anyone have an idea of the specific 3M velcro that is used or works in this application? I found this: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-...dp/B00PX0R8W0/, just not sure if its close.

Also, are there any size specifications out there on the 'working' ramp? The Ronix ramp and the ramp linked from amazon are pretty different dimensions, at least in slope angles.