Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-22-2015, 1:46 PM Reply   
Hey,
I am looking for any real world experience with any of the following vehicles for towing. I have a 2010 Mastercraft X25. I would be towing between 40 and 100 miles each way, hopefully only at the beginning and end of the season.

2012 or newer Range Rover (the full size)
2012 or newer SRT8 Jeep
2012 or newer Hemi Jeep
2011 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec (Diesel) (my current vehicle)

I thinking about getting a new car. Currently, the MB is not set up for towing. I can set it up though. The marina I store my boat with has been coming to get my boat and bringing it back, but I'd like to have something to tow with just in case they get backed up and I need something done mid season.

I am not thinking about a truck. I like the idea, but just couldn't do it. Please do not recommend a truck or a different SUV not listed.

Also, I realize the RR's are prone to breaking down. I just read somewhere that they are excellent at towing (I read they were designed to tow horse trailers) and was wondering if they were really all that great at it.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-22-2015, 3:57 PM Reply   
1) RR - they are made for towing and they are great. A Friend has a 2015 RR and he is way more happy with the car then with the previous two Porsche Cayenne Turbo.
2) Your Mercedes ML350 Diesel
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       09-22-2015, 5:08 PM Reply   
I have a 11 Dodge Durango r/t with the hemi. I towed my tige Z1 for 4 yrs and now my nauti G23 with weight distribution hitch. It works good for me so the jeep hemi should work for you
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-22-2015, 5:45 PM Reply   
^ You tow a G23 with a Durango?!?

Even with a distribution hitch, that is not safe IMO. If the boat has absolutely no fuel, or gear, it is still over the towing limit of that Durango. Heck, my G21 weighed in at 7940lbs with basic gear, and full fuel. (On the trailer)

I wouldnt ever pull anything that size with something that has a short wheelbase like a midsize SUV. An X25 is probably ok, but pushing it.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-22-2015, 6:15 PM Reply   
All those SUVs have similar capacities around 7200 except the Range Rover it was around 7700. Your boat trailer and gas will come in somewhere around 6500lbs. Then add some people to your tow vehicle and you are fast approaching the capacity. If you were just towing 5 miles no big deal but 100 miles with a boat that weighs more than your vehicle would be miserable.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-22-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
Agreed. I would likely not tow with any of those either. That being said, if this vehicle is performing the duty in a rare capacity, I would stick with what you have and make it work. No sense spending more green on marginal performance increase that will only be realized a half dozen times a year, so my pick is the MB. I wouldnt touch the RR due to reliability and resell concerns (you are going to lose out big time on the resale of the RR, especially if only really buying it to tow so infrequently). The Jeep doesn't get you anything better than the MB does.

If you wanted a substantial change for more than 1 reason, it would be a truck with more towing capacity and/or is a diesel. Anything else and I think you won't realize enough of the benefits to make it worth the trouble/expense.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2015, 8:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps120 View Post
All those SUVs have similar capacities around 7200 except the Range Rover it was around 7700. Your boat trailer and gas will come in somewhere around 6500lbs. Then add some people to your tow vehicle and you are fast approaching the capacity. If you were just towing 5 miles no big deal but 100 miles with a boat that weighs more than your vehicle would be miserable.
Why do so many people comment about boats weighing more than a tow vehicle? Does an F150 weigh 12,000 lbs? Does a Silverado weigh 12,000 lbs? Most vehicles are SAFELY rated tow a lot more than their weight. On top of that an F150 weighs around 5000lbs (a bit more or less depending on trim and cab configuration), a Grand Cherokee Hemi is, wait for it.....around the same...

If you want to debate the added wheel base for towing on a truck versus SUV, fine. But the weight comment is just ridiculous. I'd be more interested in brake rotor size, caliper design, sway control system capabilities, and the braking system on the trailer when it comes to towing safety.

On top of all that, the original poster is traveling 100 miles or less twice a year! Any of the vehicles he listed will work, and be perfectly safe at reasonable speeds.

To the OP, if you would like to discuss towing with the Jeeps, pm me. I'd share here, but I'd rather avoid the typical arguments...

Last edited by MattieK27; 09-22-2015 at 9:05 PM.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-23-2015, 3:46 AM Reply   
I never commented on the weight of the tow vehicle only the towing capacity of the vehicle and the full weight of the boat. I know trucks capacities are way over their own weights but have you ever towed 9000 or 10000 lbs with a 1/2 ton truck it tows like **** even with surge brakes. I know when it comes to towing brakes and suspension are more important than a big engine, but the op didn't want to hear about any other vehicles than hat he listed. Also he never said he would only be towing that distance twice a year
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-23-2015, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
I never commented on the weight of the tow vehicle only the towing capacity of the vehicle and the full weight of the boat.
Quote:
If you were just towing 5 miles no big deal but 100 miles with a boat that weighs more than your vehicle would be miserable.
Quote:
Also he never said he would only be towing that distance twice a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdb View Post
I would be towing between 40 and 100 miles each way, hopefully only at the beginning and end of the season.
I mean, seriously?

Last edited by MattieK27; 09-23-2015 at 5:49 AM.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-23-2015, 5:52 AM Reply   
I have a 2011 RR supercharged. It now has 100,000 miles on it. Has had one glitch in the air ride suspension that occurred at 15000 miles. Otherwise ZERO issues. Have only needed routine fluid changes, brake pad change and tire change. RR in the past very finicky creatures. The newer ones not so much. As with any mechanical item (just like boats discussed on here) there will b a lemon every once in a while. I still owe vehicle and very happy with it. Still not a squeak or rattle after 100000 miles. The do depreciate a lot now worth 40k

Now to towing. I did own a G23 for 3 years and when lake was low I towed boat to ramp that was about 30 mins away. Some highway(65-70 mph) but mostly curvy roads 35-50 mph. The RR functioned vey well. Has very strong brakes felt planted and as a bonus is very easy to back a trailer in tight spaces bc a relatively short vehicle and tight turning radius.

I towed the G about 6 hrs each way with a escalade and was much less planted and braking much weaker
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-23-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I mean, seriously?
So I guess by him saying "at the beginning and end of the season" that means he is only going once at the beginning and once at the end. He never said how often he will be towing at the beginning and the end. And yes I guess I did mention the boat weighing more than the vehicle but my main argument was that the boat and trailer weight was right at the capacity of the vehicles mentioned and if it truly once or twice a year then It doesn't matter but towing at capacity frequently is hard on suspensions brakes and drivetrains
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-23-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
So I guess by him saying "at the beginning and end of the season" that means he is only going once at the beginning and once at the end. He never said how often he will be towing at the beginning and the end. And yes I guess I did mention the boat weighing more than the vehicle but my main argument was that the boat and trailer weight was right at the capacity of the vehicles mentioned and if it truly once or twice a year then It doesn't matter but towing at capacity frequently is hard on suspensions brakes and drivetrains
Seriously? You can't accept he said only at the beginning and end of the season, that means towing twice, and you just flat out missed it? Or "you guess" you mentioned the boat weighing more than the tow vehicle when you very clearly wrote that?

Yep, continue arguing, that's the best option....
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-23-2015, 7:47 AM Reply   
You could read it a couple of ways but many of us keep our boats on private property at the lakeshore that is either owned or rented. You only have to tow the boat to the lake at the beginning of the season and then back home at the end of the season. The rest of the time you are just towing from the lakeshore to the ramp.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-23-2015, 8:41 AM Reply   
The SRT8 Jeep sounds sweet to me! Looks like they are rated for 7,200 lbs and come with a Class IV hitch (on the 2015 models that is).
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-23-2015, 11:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG23 View Post
I have a 2011 RR supercharged. It now has 100,000 miles on it. Has had one glitch in the air ride suspension that occurred at 15000 miles. Otherwise ZERO issues. Have only needed routine fluid changes, brake pad change and tire change. RR in the past very finicky creatures. The newer ones not so much. As with any mechanical item (just like boats discussed on here) there will b a lemon every once in a while. I still owe vehicle and very happy with it. Still not a squeak or rattle after 100000 miles. The do depreciate a lot now worth 40k

Now to towing. I did own a G23 for 3 years and when lake was low I towed boat to ramp that was about 30 mins away. Some highway(65-70 mph) but mostly curvy roads 35-50 mph. The RR functioned vey well. Has very strong brakes felt planted and as a bonus is very easy to back a trailer in tight spaces bc a relatively short vehicle and tight turning radius.

I towed the G about 6 hrs each way with a escalade and was much less planted and braking much weaker
Lee,
Thanks, this is exactly the type of response I was hoping to get.

The boats does only get towed twice a year (Spring and Fall, the boat sits on a lift the rest of the year), and currently that is only about a 45 mile ride across completely flat land, 50mph roads, and can be done in off hours (when nobody is around so I can take my time a bit more without being in anyone's way, and there is less chance of something jumping out in front of me). I really have no need to tow or any extra space outside of the twice a year (unless the boat breads mid season, and my current dealer can't get to it).

I am just thinking about getting a newer car and also doing some upgrades to the MC. The place I would want to do some work to it would be about 100 miles away (Chicago Mastercraft). If I am contemplating a newer car, it would be a nice side benefit to be able to tow when needed, thats all. If I do not get a new car, I may put a hitch on the ML if I decided to do the work to the boat. I hope that does a better job of describing the situation and needs.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-24-2015, 7:37 AM Reply   
Just keep in mind that Range Rovers were completely redesigned for the 2013 model year, so any 2012 and older models are going to look dated pretty quick. Personally, I think the SRT8 is one of the coolest SUVs on the road. I have a (now discontinued) Trailblazer SS, which is similar to the SRT8 (400 plus hp, big brembo brakes), and it's a great tow vehicle and a blast to drive. The current version of the SRT (475 hp, launch control, brembos with 15 inch rotors) would tow your X25 anywhere and be a crazy fun ride.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       09-24-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
Just keep in mind that Range Rovers were completely redesigned for the 2013 model year, so any 2012 and older models are going to look dated pretty quick. Personally, I think the SRT8 is one of the coolest SUVs on the road. I have a (now discontinued) Trailblazer SS, which is similar to the SRT8 (400 plus hp, big brembo brakes), and it's a great tow vehicle and a blast to drive. The current version of the SRT (475 hp, launch control, brembos with 15 inch rotors) would tow your X25 anywhere and be a crazy fun ride.
Agreed, plus if you get a weight distribution hitch you may be over or at your limit but you'll still have a better setup than alot of 1/2 ton pickups on the road puliing similar boats w/o a WDH. I know that my durango pulled/handled alot better with my G23 plus a WDH than it did with my tige Z1 with no WDH. I get all these guys saying u need to have a vehicle rated for 12,000#s to pull a 8,000# boat but alot are over their limits on the their setup with just hitch and ball. There are 4 phases to think about for pulling: power, stopping, suspension and sway control. The SRT8 has one of the best brake setups, a great tuned suspension, and more than enough power, plus sway control. Add a WDH and youve got enough to get you by with the JEEP, IMO.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-24-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
I would skip the SRT jeep, heard they will have a HellCat version for 2016. That's what my choice would be, for a mid size SUV. I did talk with a guy at the ramp this summer pulling a Malibu VLX with a newer X5 diesel, he raved about it. That might be an option also.
Old     (MuskokaCanada)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-24-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
I don't know if it was mentioned or if Jeep changed it but the SRT8 exhaust comes out right where the hitch should be.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-24-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaCanada View Post
I don't know if it was mentioned or if Jeep changed it but the SRT8 exhaust comes out right where the hitch should be.
They changed the exhaust - it's no longer in the center.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-24-2015, 12:46 PM Reply   
Great Guys...thanks for the info
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-24-2015, 2:11 PM Reply   
looks like you got what you needed. for short trips, my Grand with Hemi does ok. I wouldn't want to tow any distance with it.

IMO any coil sprung vehicle will need helper bags or WDH. They're just not designed to handle the tongue weight, no matter what the tow rating says
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-25-2015, 12:07 PM Reply   
RR has air suspension that levels vehicle. Very nice when towing
Old     (wka40)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-26-2015, 8:54 PM Reply   

My Grand Cherokee does fine with my F22.

Oh yeah... it's a hemi
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-27-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443368667.209283.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  85.6 KB
No problems with the GC V8 Hemi in the mountains of Utah, pulling out 23LSV
Old     (sprocketeer)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-27-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
Jeep GC DIESEL. Tows well in Utah.

Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       09-28-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
'11 durango R/t (with equalizer E2 WDH) pulling '14 Nauti G23

Old     (Wagonhound)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-29-2015, 9:14 PM Reply   
If I were towing only twice a year for a short distance I'd just rent a 3/4 truck and purchase a vehicle I actually enjoyed driving. I decided my Ram 1500 HEMI was not adequate to haul my RZ2 between 50 and 100 miles each way so I upgraded to a new Chevy 2500HD. RAM was much more enjoyable to drive. There is a lot of hilly terrain where I live both on the interstate and highways and the 5.7L struggles at times, especially into a 30mph headwind. In my opinion the suspension of a 1/2 ton truck is way to soft to pull a boat as heavy as mine. Newer 1/2 ton trucks are made to drive and handle more like a cars because that is what people like, so they really soften up the suspension.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       09-29-2015, 9:58 PM Reply   
Isn't it just a bit of a stretch to say...."Well, it's just going to be one time at the beginning and ending of the summer" Yes, odds are FOR you...but it just takes ONE TRIP with an inadequate tow vehicle to get you in a bind. Most of the time...yeah...you are going to be OK. But all it takes is one time on one trip and You will wish you were 3/4 Ton or above with a G23 or bigger.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-30-2015, 5:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Isn't it just a bit of a stretch to say...."Well, it's just going to be one time at the beginning and ending of the summer" Yes, odds are FOR you...but it just takes ONE TRIP with an inadequate tow vehicle to get you in a bind. Most of the time...yeah...you are going to be OK. But all it takes is one time on one trip and You will wish you were 3/4 Ton or above with a G23 or bigger.
The OP is towing a Mastercraft X25...
Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-30-2015, 2:17 PM Reply   
I use my 06 Supercharged RR Sport. Works like a champ. Don't tow very far but its always strong. They are heavy and feel like its going to do its job all the time. Plus it is fun to drive when not towing... I will keep it till it dies.
Attached Images