Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-13-2014, 4:29 PM Reply   
Ive done some searching, and most of the threads I have come across are from 09 and before. Im looking for some updated info on what pumps are out there, and wheres the cheapest place to get them.
Im looking for something like this, that will thread onto the dipstick tube
http://www.westmarine.com/oil-change...uart--11047123

Also, what oil and weight are you guys running these days.

Ill be doing the trans fluid, and impeller also. What else are you guys doing for spring?
How often are you doing plugs/wires/ cap and rotor?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-13-2014, 5:34 PM Reply   
The Mityvac 7201 Fluid exchanger will fill or remove fluid and it holds 8.8 quarts. Also comes with several different size hoses and has a manual pump. If you have a oil drain hose attached to your oil pan you can change your oil in the water in about 15 minutes or less.Warm up the boat. Take the cap off the hose and attach your pump. It takes about 15 pumps and it will suck out all the old oil in a couple of minutes when it's warm.Take a freezer bag with you and after you break the oil filter loose engulf it with the freezer bag and finish removing it. Zip it shut when done and no mess on the boat. Put a funnel in the oil filler hole and refill it. You're done!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-13-2014, 5:35 PM Reply   
Tool Discounter has them for 77.00.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-13-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
thanks man! shipping from tooldiscounter is $18, I have prime and its $89 with 2day shipping on amazon.
any recommendations on oil and weight?
Its a bummer I dont have the drain hose, does the mityvac come with fittings to screw onto the dipstick tube?
Ive read a good old AC Delco oil filter is recommended?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-13-2014, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
thanks man! shipping from tooldiscounter is $18, I have prime and its $89 with 2day shipping on amazon.
any recommendations on oil and weight?
Its a bummer I dont have the drain hose, does the mityvac come with fittings to screw onto the dipstick tube?
Ive read a good old AC Delco oil filter is recommended?
It doesn't have fittings but you won't need them. The suction will be produced at the end of the hose. As long as there is oil to remove it will remove it. What engine and what year for oil and filter recommendations.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-13-2014, 7:11 PM Reply   
black scorpion 5.7 330hp in an 05 sanger v215
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-13-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
Just get the west marine pump, works great on a black scorp. Pick up some shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic at walmart.

Look at your cap and rotor. The points turn green in that thunderbolt ignition if it is left damp at all. Good to just replace it and have one on hand. I'd do plugs and maybe wires after 5 or 6 years.

The impeller is a b like none other on those.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-13-2014, 8:49 PM Reply   
15w40, 20w40, 25w40 should all do the trick. Cold cranking isn't a huge issue on a boat.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       03-14-2014, 4:34 AM Reply   
I use Mobil 1 15w50 in all my boats . It has all the necessary additives for both roller and flat lifter engines. Most oil filters are OK except for the Fram orange its the worst . The best fitters are the Mobile 1 or the K&N. When in doubt check with the manufacture.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-14-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
Lots of good info here. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

I'm seriously considering going to a 0w30 oil this season.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
Impeller is easy. Just take off the entire bracket that the housing is connected to(3boltz I think) if you don't its real hard! I did mine on the water once lmao!!! Ya on the water!!
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-14-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Impeller isn't too bad. Like Chris said drop the belt and remove the entire bracket. Once you've done it once the entire process shouldn't take more than 45 minutes. If you have the plastic impeller housing check the inside of the housing for any damage from the impeller. Last time I changed mine out I replaced the entire housing because it was pretty worn out, this can cause pre-mature impeller failure. 2nd Rotella 5w-40 and you might want to think about swapping out the water-fuel separator filter and inline fuel filter.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
Also if you have the plastic housing DO NOT over tighten or you WILL be replacing. Lol that's a waste of money.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-14-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
I just have a pump like this that I hook up to the remote line quick pull out 5 quarts into 2 liter bottle or two, and done in few minutes. No real need for anything fancy. I just bought a couple fittings to adjust from hose end in picture to fitting at end of the remote hose.
Attached Images

Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-14-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
I use the one I can hook up to my drill. Super easy. Always do when oil is warm,and the trick is to put the drill in low gear on the slowest speed. 3 years no problems at all.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-15-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
So I picked up the mityvac on amazon for $89, prime
I'm going to get a case of oil, royal purple 15-40, cheap by the case, $38 on amazon, also prime
And I've read that the ac delco filter is the pf25. Any part #'s for a k&n filter?

Also, according to this chart, 4.25qt is all the engine takes? It's that including filter?
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/tech/...apacities.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old     (03AirNautique)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-16-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
All you ever need to know about oil filers is available in the link below. I believe that most of the remote mount oil filters are the sbf style....that is small block ford, forgot I wasn't on a racing site anymore. I use either the napa gold or wix filters.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=420509
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2014, 5:12 AM Reply   
Hey I have a (new to me) 2002 Wakesetter VLX (365 Hammerhead) and am struggling to change the oil. I've tried the drill extractor and let also let it drip for days and I still feel like I'm missing a quart or 2. I'm thinking about getting the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. Has anyone had any personal experience with using it on this motor even know it really shouldn't matter? Also does it include a threaded adapter that I can attach to my oil drain hose?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-25-2014, 5:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCo View Post
Hey I have a (new to me) 2002 Wakesetter VLX (365 Hammerhead) and am struggling to change the oil. I've tried the drill extractor and let also let it drip for days and I still feel like I'm missing a quart or 2. I'm thinking about getting the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. Has anyone had any personal experience with using it on this motor even know it really shouldn't matter? Also does it include a threaded adapter that I can attach to my oil drain hose?
I have the same boat. I use a cheap 20 dollar 12 volt pump from Walmart. I took a male barbed fitting to 1/4 inch female end and I shove the hose on the male end, female to the hose on the boat. Have not been able to over a gallon out plus half a quart I'd guess at the filter.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-26-2014, 5:30 PM Reply   
I'll have to look into that Jack. After putting a lot of cash into the boat saving close to $80 for a pump would be nice.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-26-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
I used a 12v electric west marine unit I bought at Wal Mart I think for around $40 last year. It worked pretty good, it would've worked better had I warmed the boat up longer. The hoses with it suck, but that's a $10 fix. My boat has a drain hose I attached it to. Then turned it on and drank a beer while it did the work. I used a wix filter and chevron delo 15w40. I don't know much about filters and oil but my cousin is a guru and said those were both solid choices. I just ordered a globe run dry impeller as well. I've never run one before so hopefully it was a good purchase. I've read mixed reviews on them.

Last edited by bass10after; 03-26-2014 at 5:52 PM.