Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-29-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
What's up fellas? In the market for a new to me board.. Doesn't have to be a 2012 model but I would like for it to be unused. I currently ride a 2010 LF Lyman. I love the board but just want another board I can toy around with. I like the pop and the loose ride of the Lyman and would want something similar I suppose. I have never rode a SS board but I know that I want my next board to be a SS. Recommend me a board that will perform well behind the boat.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-29-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Recoil or Hooke. Both are 3-stage like your Lyman. The Recoil rides very loose. Not sure about the Hooke.
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-29-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
Do they flex more?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-29-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
Recoil is kinda slow but has good pop. Kine is super fun behind the boat, fast and big pop since its a ballistic. If you like a loose feel, swap the 0.8 fins that come with these for the 0.6s that come with the response.... much better ride IMO.

SS is the best move you'll ever make Enjoy.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-29-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
How about the SS Lyman board??
Old     (WakeUKY)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-29-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
I have ridden the Response for the past two seasons. I moved to Slingshot from Murray's pro model after riding a friend's SS Recoil, and I will never turn back. The response is a fun board, however it has never been the SS board i have aspired.

As said earlier it was the Recoil that brought me to Slingshot and as people have said above it is a great three stage rocker board, I just always got a lot better deal (several hundred) on the response. That will motivate any college student quickly.

I am calling the local shop later today to order my new board for the season. I am going to try the Lyman board, as you are probably aware, Slingshot's first board with a molded channel. Coming from LF this will most likely facilitate your easiest transition to Slingshot. I have had a lot of people ride my board and complain about how "loose" it is on the water.

If possible check with local board shops, I know our local shop KY Boatworks allows people to pick up boards and try them out before throwing down the money. I'm hardly a pro, but I hope that helped.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-29-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I have a recoil and the Lyman from slingshot and they are both great boards. The Lyman is more traditional but does have some flex to it. The recoil is so fun to ride, although mine is an 09 and I've been told the 11 & 12 boards are stiffer. I've always been really intrigued by the Hooke. I know it has a lot of pop and is shaped very closely to the recoil.

If you want big pop look at the Lyman or Hooke. If you just want to play around on the board then get a recoil as it will still have big pop but more flex than the Lyman or Hooke.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-29-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
I love the recoil and have been on them all but the Lyman (but I love a lot of flex so I don't think I would like the Lyman that much).

I ride mine finless but as others said the .6" fins are much better than the .8"
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-29-2012, 5:55 PM Reply   
A loot of great replies fellas!!! I now know that al SS boards are good..haha. I think I will gravitate towards a recoil or Lyman. Has anyone rode the shred town board? Also, do the SS boards land soft? I'm an ex college catcher so my knees need all the breaks they can get.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-29-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
The Lyman is supposed to be the trackiest of all SS boards, so if you're looking for a loose feel, I'd stay away from it. It's also very stiff as SS boards go.

My 2010 and 2012 Recoils do NOT land very soft. The lack of bottom features like landing spines and the huge 3-stage rocker seem to negate the shock absorption of the flex pattern when landing dead center. If you land tail heavy, the flex will give you a bit of a cushion.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-29-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
The Lyman lands super soft but as Hebrew hammer said, it has the most track in the line.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-29-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
If you are considering the new Lyman...Please try it before you buy one. It is nothing like his LF board. I tried it over the weekend and it has a very unique ride. Definitely not for everyone, myself included. It is fast and launches you high off the wake. But it felt a little odd and unpredictable to me. Straight line tracking was loose but then when you laid it on edge it charges so feakin hard into the wake it almost sends you into a Raley. The edge seems to be ON FULL or OFF... nothing in the middle. I think you could get used to it but it wasn't for me. The Lyman did however improve one of my friends riding. He was landing stuff very consistently. It was a noticeable improvement. So again give it a go before you fork out the dough!

I love my SS Response and I just got a SS Shredtown (mostly for cable) but I haven't tried it out yet. It looks like a cross between my Response and a Reflex. I will give it a spin behind the boat this weekend. Good luck on the search.

Oh and also something to consider. If you are a bigger guy 175lbs plus, you might want to go for a 2012 Slinger. The track system is way beefier. Last year models had a habit of ripping out of the board.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-29-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trio View Post
Oh and also something to consider. If you are a bigger guy 175lbs plus, you might want to go for a 2012 Slinger. The track system is way beefier. Last year models had a habit of ripping out of the board.
Can't stress this enough. This happened to my buddy and it was pretty gnarly. The 2011 fast track system really isn't up to its job. The 2012 isn't perfect either, as the bolts have a tendency to loosen up after just a few sets, but it's a massive improvement. In fact, the 2012 boards are much better made than the 2010 boards in almost every area. Slingshot is a very innovative company that is constantly pushing the envelope with new construction techniques, and they've really come a long way in just the last 2 years.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-29-2012, 11:06 PM Reply   
personally i think recoil and response both land very soft any way you land.
its crazy how different people experience different things. not even all the brands are on the same page as to what makes a "soft landing board"
in fact some are on exact opposite pages, almost ridiculous.
ohhh well... just another thing you got to make your own opinion on.
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-01-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
I haven't heard of this track system issue.. Is it pretty common? I'm 6'1" 195 so I would hate to come unglued.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-01-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
I have ridden the 2011 Recoil, and I loved the speed, pop, and flex of it. However, Like TheHebrewHammer, I experienced rough landings with it as well. I reckon the way you ride a board can have an effect on how it lands for you.

My friend that owns the Recoil loves it and he thinks it lands softly.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucegoose23 View Post
I haven't heard of this track system issue.. Is it pretty common? I'm 6'1" 195 so I would hate to come unglued.
Track issue was resolved with the 2012 line. Totally new tech beind the track system this year and its WAY stronger. That being said... the 2011 tracks really aren't that bad. I rode my recoil basically everyday... boat and cable... and it took me like 8 months to rip one out taking a major digger on the boat.

Its very likely track issues wont be a concern for you even on an older model
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-01-2012, 8:57 PM Reply   
The track system just plain sucks ass. I ripped out a 2011 one and the 2012 still slips. Inserts ripping out of wake boards went away in the mid 90's there is no excuse for tracks coming out. Personally I don't see the advantage of them at all. I would pay a surcharge to get my Reflex with regular inserts.
I also hate the fact that SS did away with the guide markers on the 2012 track system. Now you get to guess your stance or carry a tape measure to the lake...........they will slip so be prepared to deal with that quite often.

+1 on What Trio said about the Lyman. I found it to be a bit unpredictable and extremely stiff. Try before you buy. It may be one of those love or hate boards.

Last edited by Dustfarter; 03-01-2012 at 9:03 PM.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-01-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
My experience with Slingshot is with the original 3: the Recoil (3-stage), Reflex (Subtle 3-stage), and Response (Continuous). Each of these boards is great in that there aren't any channels which I feel lets the board adjust to your riding style better than most. I feel comfortable on all 3, although they each ride a little different.

Recoil is the best tracking board, definitely a good board to enter into the world of flex. It has good wake to wake pop, but probably the hardest landing of these.

Response is the fastest, loose, and softest landing board (that I've ever rode), you can take it wake to wake or into the flats and the pop is still good. Holding your edge up the wake can be difficult sometimes, but this has been my board of choice for the past 3 years. I personally don't like that drag feeling of 3-stage boards and Jeff Mckee claims it's the sickest board ever.

Reflex is a good mix between the two. I got really consistent when I rode this board.

Since you are concerned with softer landings, get a continuous or subtle 3-stage. Based on assumptions, I think my pick for this year would be the new Shredtown because it's tail shape is similar to the Recoil, and my guess would be that it would help with holding your edge up the wake (my only real issue with the Response). The sharper angle between the rail and tail helps water leave the tail more abruptly (meaning more control) then does the rounded tail.

My 2nd pick would be the Whip, it has channels that would probably help with the same issue.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2012, 9:51 PM Reply   
I couldn't decide either, so went with both a response and a recoil. This is my first year on SS gear. My thinking is the recoil will be the ride for behind the boat and I'll use the response for cable and the odd carvy fun ride behind the boat.
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-02-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a used recoil that they would like to sale. I think I would like to buy a used one just to play with. 2010 or better would be nice.