Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tomk)      Join Date: May 2011       05-23-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
I got my appendix out yesterday, laproscopicly, we had a big weekend planed with big boats, kickers, sliders, wall rides and partyin, i am sure this weekend is out, but has anyone else had this done, how long till I am back in the game?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
I had mine out years ago.... if I remember right, I was feeling good at about 7 days, but I certainly wouldn't have gotten on the water that quickly because of all the movement to the midsection... it would suck to blow the cut back open.

Call the doctor, they'll have some idea.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-23-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
Just keep in mind scars will only be at around 10% as strong as unharmed skin after 7 days, and won't get to 80% until 3/4 months. Not to mention the internal damage from the surgery. Give your surgeon a call and you should get a clearer answer but I wouldn't expect to be riding until at least 3 or 4 weeks
Old     (tomk)      Join Date: May 2011       05-23-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Just keep in mind scars will only be at around 10% as strong as unharmed skin after 7 days, and won't get to 80% until 3/4 months. Not to mention the internal damage from the surgery. Give your surgeon a call and you should get a clearer answer but I wouldn't expect to be riding until at least 3 or 4 weeks
noooooooo! I hope not, but its kinda what I was thinking get the staples out tuesday, guess I will see then, luckily the biggest scar of 3 scars is only 1" long, since it was laproscopic their was minimal impact, thats what I am telling my self at least
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-23-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
I had it taken out about 14 years ago. If I remember correctly I was cleared to start playing baseball again within about 10 days. My recovery went smoothly and I felt fine after a couple of days, but I heard of some people who had tough recoveries for whatever reasons. Good luck!
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
Laproscopic and you have staples? Seems weird, I had mine out 3 years ago and I didn't even have stitches, just a 1" incision with three pieces of tape holding it back together. I was back to my core workout in 6-7 days and back in the water in 2 weeks no issues. Three incisions and staples sounds like some cut rate Obama care plan to me lol.
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-23-2012, 8:45 PM Reply   
I just had mine out end of February. I couldn't get back in the gym to my normal routine for almost 6 weeks. I was back in the gym at probably 4 weeks and working out but my midsection was definitely weak still. I think I had some cut rate type surgery like Jason was talking about, because my main wound site where they pulled my appendix out didnt heal right for probably 3 or 4 weeks atleast. I had to go back at the 1 month mark and have a bunch of s@#t pulled out before it would scar over. Anyways, I would probably give it atleast 3 weeks but more like 4 or 5 in reality. Hope yours goes better than mine.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-23-2012, 10:57 PM Reply   
Definitely weird/lazy that they didn't just suture the incisions, never heard/seen a surgeon use staples to close a laproscopic appy. 100% wait until they remove the staples. otherwise 2-3 weeks post op you should be good to ride, but if you have any tenderness at all it isn't worth it. Definitely don't want to expose dirty water to the wound site.
Old     (tomk)      Join Date: May 2011       05-24-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
thanks for all the replies, reaaalllly bummin had big plans for this weekend, sucks when ur so amped to start the season, but what do ya do guess I will be savin gas money and scoring brownie points filming and pulling everyone else