Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2016, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmaster891 View Post
Well I rode a space blanket demo board yesterday. It was the 137 length but is supposed to have the surface area of a 143. It definitely has a lot more glide speed than the parks board. I ride on the river so I am used to glass water and it was pretty choppy yesterday plus it was my first time back on the water since October so i was pretty rusty. I felt real comfortable on the board though coming from a parks camber board. I noticed this board sends me into the flats a lot easier but that could just be cause im coming in faster with the extra glide speed than I am used to. I may go ahead and pick one of these up it was a fun board. Also, I was on the air core version and its super light.
I currently ride a 2015 144 parks aircore, how would compare the pop of the space blanket to the parks? How much faster does the space blanket feel?
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-16-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
I'm glad I found this post...I'm shopping for a new board & boots and after doing some more research on Parks air core 2, I'm super excited and interested on this board. The soft landings and being easy on the knees is exactly what this 42yr old needs!! I'm going into my third year of wakeboarding, I've been riding an Obrien ACE 142 board..it's an OK board, the bindings got destroyed last year after a fall.

Anyway if you guys have any other info or suggestions it's greatly appreciated. Alex
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-16-2016, 4:26 PM Reply   
If your wanting something with soft landings that cater to the knees but may limit your trick Arsenal look at the slingshot nomad in a 150,155 or even. 160
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-16-2016, 5:51 PM Reply   
Hey Brian I saw your thread on the nomad. I will definitely look into it.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-17-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
46 with ****ty knees - I've not ridden anything that landed as soft as my bandwagon camber (whatever they call the light/fly core)
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-17-2016, 11:05 AM Reply   
I came across the other thread on the SS Nomad and all the posts were positive..so I think riding a 155/160 board is def a possibility.
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-17-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
One of the owners of the shop where I bought my nomad and Kruz is actually the reason I bought the two boards. He personally rides a nomad a Kruz and a Ronix one and everything he said on the nomad made it a no brainier. He said he gets the biggest air off the nomad due to the length of the board and incline of the wake ramp. He also said he had ridden just about every board made including the camber boards and that it is more forgiving on big air and especially on choppy water.

Just other FYI info. I went back and fourth for weeks between the Kruz and the parks camber board and finally made my decision on the Kruz because so many people complained about the drag speed. I also heard to many people saying it's cool but it's so different that if you get used to riding front foot heavy like it requires that it throws off your balance riding non camber boards.
Old     (lawmaster891)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-17-2016, 11:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
I currently ride a 2015 144 parks aircore, how would compare the pop of the space blanket to the parks? How much faster does the space blanket feel?
The pop I believe is similar to the parks. I get about the same air I did on the parks board last year but find it much easier to land out in the flats. I believe this is due to the increased glide speed. I feel like it has a ton more glide speed than the parks. My buddy rides last years timebomb and he said the space blanket feels slow. Lol I told him to ride my parks board and he will know what slow really feels like. If you check out my instagram (lawmaster891) I have a couple vids of me on the space blanket as well as vids last year on the parks to compare. I am no pro though. I started trying tantrums my last couple rides of last season and just couldnt get them. My ride last weeekend I did a big tantrum and landed out in the flats my second try. I hope to get some vids of that this weekend. I love the space blanket so far!
Old     (lawmaster891)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-17-2016, 11:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadssv View Post
One of the owners of the shop where I bought my nomad and Kruz is actually the reason I bought the two boards. He personally rides a nomad a Kruz and a Ronix one and everything he said on the nomad made it a no brainier. He said he gets the biggest air off the nomad due to the length of the board and incline of the wake ramp. He also said he had ridden just about every board made including the camber boards and that it is more forgiving on big air and especially on choppy water.

Just other FYI info. I went back and fourth for weeks between the Kruz and the parks camber board and finally made my decision on the Kruz because so many people complained about the drag speed. I also heard to many people saying it's cool but it's so different that if you get used to riding front foot heavy like it requires that it throws off your balance riding non camber boards.
I agree, I hopped on my buddies timebomb last weekend and it threw me off. I was still able to ride and hit the wake fine. I did catch an edge on a landing unexpectedly being used to the camber. I dont think my balance was terribly thrown off though. I like the cambered boards though. On the cambered boards I don't seem to get hurt near as bad as i had on regular boards, I sprang my mcl last summer and caught an edge to where I was coughing up blood. Not sure if it is because of progression or the board itself though.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-27-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
purchased a 2015 Nomad 155. saved some money by getting a 2015 model, can't wait to try it. It's a beast of a board for sure
Attached Images

Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       02-27-2016, 9:53 AM Reply   
Congrats on the purchase in sure you will love it. Post up a review after your first ride. Do you get any bindings to go with it?
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-02-2016, 9:01 AM Reply   
15 parks boots..I also just purchased a CWB Reverb in 146. Should be a fun summer and I can't wait to try the new gear.
Old     (CaseyJones)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-18-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
I have a 2016 Ronix air core Space Blanket for sell! - I ride the Bill and love it, for some reason thought I should try something new and got the Space Blanket. When I rode it like it was meant to be ridden it was boosty and had nice soft landings, but every time I started to get comfy I would go for something and just eat it! Actually knocked my self out on a 360! So I got the new 2016 Bill and love it! So any one looking for a great deal on a air core space blanket hit me up!
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       06-01-2016, 10:40 PM Reply   
I just got in a brand new 2016 Ronix Code 22 (139) as a replacement so as soon as I can sell it I am getting a space blanket or the parks.... :]
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-15-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
I rode parks board yes his actual board at a demo he hosted here last week,

coming off knee surgery I hadn't ridden a wakeboard since November and given my age, rust , first time behind that x23, and stance a bit wide for me,I wouldn't trust my input..

I ride a harley behind boat and a Bill at the park

the parks board was real tight with big fins on it but wasn't slow or fast somewhere in between..i only took one set but it doesn't seem like a hard adjustment from a regular board given some time.. I would like to try once I'm back riding normally, going full speed and with smaller fins..

I might need to relearns some tricks going w2w instead of flats so camber might help that..we shall see..

keep the input coming
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       06-16-2016, 5:58 PM Reply   
I've been riding the William but had the chance to ride the Space Blanket last weekend. It was a fun board. Soft landings is what stood out to me.
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       06-17-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
I am going to demo the space blanket & the parks camber in a few weeks.
Talked to the rep & ever since the first edition 2014 camber boards (parks & bandwagon) they have slowly dialed back the amount of camber every year.
2014 was the biggest camber area so = bigger pop but a slower board.
2015 was a little less on the parks (sheets of paper thick type changes), not sure about bandwagon.
2016 little less on parks & redesigned bandwagon to come up with the space blanket. Much faster board with still a good pop but not as much hit. Overall a better design which is why they went with it all together.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       06-19-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadssv View Post

So do you all think you really need to ride with more weighting on the front foot to benefit from camber boards? I noticed when I rode the camber I was pretty back foot heavy so just wondering if I should stick with a more traditional board rather than trying to change riding weighting/style
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-25-2016, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the good info on this thread so far. I'm certainly an infrequent poster but a relatively frequent reader (at least during our short boating season here in Upstate NY). I'm overdue for a new board and the camber boards really intrigue me based on the soft landings (I've torn my ACL twice in the last 4 years - not wakeboarding) and the way they put more weight on your front foot. I seem to have a tendency to already put too much weight on my front foot and hit the wake too perpendicularly. I suppose that's from years of skiing or snowboarding.

Anyway, Tyler's comments comparing the Space Blanket to the Parks are very helpful. One thing that stood out to me are his comments about the space blanket having more glide speed but I'm wondering if some of that can be attributed to the Parks he rode not being an air core like the space blanket. Anyone have any experience comparing the two boards with the air core? I don't have any local shops to demo them. I can't justify spending $600 on the space blanket but the '15 Parks air core is reasonable. Not sure if I should go with that or wait until the Space Blanket comes down in the offseason.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-25-2016, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Thanks for all the good info on this thread so far. I'm certainly an infrequent poster but a relatively frequent reader (at least during our short boating season here in Upstate NY). I'm overdue for a new board and the camber boards really intrigue me based on the soft landings (I've torn my ACL twice in the last 4 years - not wakeboarding) and the way they put more weight on your front foot. I seem to have a tendency to already put too much weight on my front foot and hit the wake too perpendicularly. I suppose that's from years of skiing or snowboarding.

Anyway, Tyler's comments comparing the Space Blanket to the Parks are very helpful. One thing that stood out to me are his comments about the space blanket having more glide speed but I'm wondering if some of that can be attributed to the Parks he rode not being an air core like the space blanket. Anyone have any experience comparing the two boards with the air core? I don't have any local shops to demo them. I can't justify spending $600 on the space blanket but the '15 Parks air core is reasonable. Not sure if I should go with that or wait until the Space Blanket comes down in the offseason.
I have a LOT of hours on both Parks and Space Blanket and both are air cores. The main reason the SB has more glide speed is the vertical side walls in my opinion. Really made the board faster. That said, the Parks is a really awesome board and I loved riding it!
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-25-2016, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleAxis View Post
I have a LOT of hours on both Parks and Space Blanket and both are air cores. The main reason the SB has more glide speed is the vertical side walls in my opinion. Really made the board faster. That said, the Parks is a really awesome board and I loved riding it!
Thanks a lot! Exactly what hat I was looking for. Do you think the pop off the wake is similar between the two? It sounded like the Parks was a bit more of a hard charging board than the Bandwagon. Is that no longer the case compared to the Space Blanket?

Glad to hear you like the Parks a lot as well as I'm itching to get something before the season is over up here. I can certainly wait though if the Space Blanket is the obvious choice over the '15 Parks. Would love to hear any other thoughts comparing the two. Thanks again!
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-25-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
One other question for those that may have ridden the Parks camber. Looking for recommendations on board length for someone who's 5'7" and 180 lbs (makes me a little sick - having a kid had added a good 15 lbs). I'm sure I could manage just fine with either the 139 (rated for 160+) or the 144 (rated for 170+). My current boards are both pretty long in the tooth - one's (I believe) a 135 that I'm probably too heavy for now but I like how I can control it w/o fins. The other is a 142 that I feel is less maneuverable but certainly lands a bit softer (good for my surgically repaired knee).

Would I be smarter going with the bigger board or would I be fine on the 139. Hard to decide based on my limited experience. I need some wakeboarding friends with gear to try out once in a while...
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-25-2016, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks a lot! Exactly what hat I was looking for. Do you think the pop off the wake is similar between the two? It sounded like the Parks was a bit more of a hard charging board than the Bandwagon. Is that no longer the case compared to the Space Blanket?

Glad to hear you like the Parks a lot as well as I'm itching to get something before the season is over up here. I can certainly wait though if the Space Blanket is the obvious choice over the '15 Parks. Would love to hear any other thoughts comparing the two. Thanks again!
The answer to all is 'yes' haha! The Parks is more aggressive than the Bandwagon, but with the greater speed and for me larger surface area on the Space Blanket I am getting a lot more pop. If you want to IM I can help more,but short answer if I were you I'd get a last year model Parks 139 Air Core (wide board so will probably have similar surface area to that 142 you were on) and rock it for awhile and get feel for riding camber. Then later you can get new Space Blanket or keep rocking a Parks.
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-25-2016, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
The answer to all is 'yes' haha! The Parks is more aggressive than the Bandwagon, but with the greater speed and for me larger surface area on the Space Blanket I am getting a lot more pop. If you want to IM I can help more,but short answer if I were you I'd get a last year model Parks 139 Air Core (wide board so will probably have similar surface area to that 142 you were on) and rock it for awhile and get feel for riding camber. Then later you can get new Space Blanket or keep rocking a Parks.
Thanks again Matt. Very helpful. Might take you up on the PM if I have more questions. You've got me leaning towards the Space Blanket but but might just be worth picking up the Parks so I can get something this year without having to fork over $600.
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       07-26-2016, 11:01 AM Reply   
Good post here recently as I am in the same boat.... 2015 bandwagon, 2015 parks or 2016 space blanket. I just haven't had the time to demo them yet hopefully I will pull the trigger on one of them in the next 2-3 weeks!
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-26-2016, 7:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggy81 View Post
Good post here recently as I am in the same boat.... 2015 bandwagon, 2015 parks or 2016 space blanket. I just haven't had the time to demo them yet hopefully I will pull the trigger on one of them in the next 2-3 weeks!
Well it didn't take long for me. I don't have the luxury of any local shops to demo a board at, but today someone listed a 137 and a 141 Space Blanket air core (brand new) for $490 (+ $20 shipping). I made an offer (I probably shouldn't disclose the amount but it was over $400) and he accepted it. It's got to ship from CA or NY so I doubt I'll have it by this weekend like I'm hoping but I'm certainly excited to get it.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this thread so far. I keep checking back hoping for more impressions of the camber boards so keep them coming. The guy on eBay listed another 137 after I bought the one so other sizes are still available. I'm a proponent of supporting the local shops, but my closest Ronix dealer is over 90 minutes away and when I called them there was 'nobody available who knew anything about wakeboards' and they took my number to call back but never did.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-26-2016, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Well it didn't take long for me. I don't have the luxury of any local shops to demo a board at, but today someone listed a 137 and a 141 Space Blanket air core (brand new) for $490 (+ $20 shipping). I made an offer (I probably shouldn't disclose the amount but it was over $400) and he accepted it. It's got to ship from CA or NY so I doubt I'll have it by this weekend like I'm hoping but I'm certainly excited to get it.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this thread so far. I keep checking back hoping for more impressions of the camber boards so keep them coming. The guy on eBay listed another 137 after I bought the one so other sizes are still available. I'm a proponent of supporting the local shops, but my closest Ronix dealer is over 90 minutes away and when I called them there was 'nobody available who knew anything about wakeboards' and they took my number to call back but never did.
Stoked man, let me know how you like it! Out on Shasta lake right now riding and shooting with mine!

Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       07-26-2016, 11:26 PM Reply   
Nice! I think I saw that same board on evilBay but I was still to cheap to stop $490 LoL

Tell us how you like it when you ride that bad boy
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-27-2016, 5:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Stoked man, let me know how you like it! Out on Shasta lake right now riding and shooting with mine!

That's awesome. Thanks so much for the input and I'll let you know what I think of it. Definitely going to be a nice upgrade from what I'm used to. Hopefully the transition to camber goes quickly - I think it will for me. Before I knew anything about camber and rocker I upgraded from an old camber snowboard to a new (what I assumed would be awesome) Burton rocker board. Took me a couple of years of feeling like I'd gotten lousy at snowboarding (I ski more often) and some forum reading to realize that rocker was the reason my edge was washing out at high speeds. Switched to Batalleon board with camber and their "triple base technology" based on a lot of forum reviews and I love it. That design seems to share a lot in common with the Space Blanket.
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-03-2016, 8:40 PM Reply   
Just wanted to say that my Space Blanket Air Core arrived yesterday and looks way better in person - the pictures don't do it justice. Can't wait to hopefully hop on it this weekend. Tots definitely wider and longer than the length indicates. I haven't looked into the difference on how it's measures, but it's notably wider and a touch longer than the old 142 Gator board I have despite being a 137. Way lighter as well. Hopefully my next report will be on how much I love riding it...
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2016, 3:45 PM Reply   
Crazy I started this thread 3 years ago and it's still getting play. I wish I would of waited until I saw all the reviews on the camber. On the time they came out I wasn't thrilled with the designs. In between I bought a hyperlite marek, but would love to try one of the cambers.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-07-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
Crazy I started this thread 3 years ago and it's still getting play. I wish I would of waited until I saw all the reviews on the camber. On the time they came out I wasn't thrilled with the designs. In between I bought a hyperlite marek, but would love to try one of the cambers.
The new camber designs are really awesome! The tech has really evolved a ton since the first Bandwagon, and the new boards really will have it dialed in with perfect balance of speed and response while keeping the benefits of camber riding position, pop and landings.
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       08-08-2016, 12:04 AM Reply   
I just got my space blanket air core 2 so hope to try it out this Saturday
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-08-2016, 7:03 AM Reply   
I wish I could buy one. My wife would kill me.
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-08-2016, 5:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
I wish I could buy one. My wife would kill me.
Ha mine would too if she knew what I spent on it! I'm freaking dying to get on mine still. Wife's 8 months pregnant and I could only talk one buddy to come out with me last weekend. I need better friends (or more without small children)...
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       08-08-2016, 11:19 PM Reply   
How was the ride Tim?
Old     (cporourke)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-10-2016, 5:46 PM Reply   
So I just bought a 2016 parks air core 2. This is my first new board in years. The board I was previously riding is a 2003 Shaun Murray board.

My question is this. The board seems to be more of a textured raw material finish. My old boards seemed to have a sort of coating on them. I did buy it off eBay from liquidation sports (or something) so it was a demo board. I just want to be sure it's not missing some important protectant coating or something...
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-10-2016, 5:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cporourke View Post
So I just bought a 2016 parks air core 2. This is my first new board in years. The board I was previously riding is a 2003 Shaun Murray board.

My question is this. The board seems to be more of a textured raw material finish. My old boards seemed to have a sort of coating on them. I did buy it off eBay from liquidation sports (or something) so it was a demo board. I just want to be sure it's not missing some important protectant coating or something...
No, that has a flat (not glossy) finish to the top and sintered base...so sounds about like it should be. Get out there and ride it!
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-10-2016, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggy81 View Post
How was the ride Tim?
I'm terribly sad to report that I haven't been on it yet. All I can say so far is that it certainly LOOKS good. Getting some buddies to come out seems to be a constant struggle unfortunately...
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       08-15-2016, 9:32 AM Reply   
I didn't get to ride mine this weekend either
Old     (Willis)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-15-2016, 6:48 PM Reply   
Finally got on my Space Blanket this past weekend but can't give much of an impression yet because it was pretty choppy on the lake. The stance felt pretty good to me though. Pretty sure I already rode with my weight a bit more forward than it should be from snowboarding so I didn't notice as much of a difference as I expected. I'm sure most of you that are used to flying out into the flats consistently probably would though. Really looking forward to getting out on some glass soon so I can get after it a lot more.
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2016, 3:32 PM Reply   
Finding some deals on the Parks ATR. Should I get the 139 or 144. I am 6'4 and 190 lbs
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-17-2016, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Finding some deals on the Parks ATR. Should I get the 139 or 144. I am 6'4 and 190 lbs
If you are going ATR I might suggest 139...it's a pretty wide board with a lot of surface area so you could get by. The 144 might pop more/land softer but will be a bit beefy unless you get the air core version which is much lighter.
Old     (KSride)      Join Date: Oct 2015       08-24-2016, 10:41 AM Reply   
Has anybody had to drastically change their stance on a camber board? This has been my first summer on my Parks and I have been changing my stance constantly to get rid of discomfort on the outside edges of my feet. It isn't a binding issue as these are not new bindings and I have not had issues with them in the past. Currently I have found a narrow stance to be best, but I feel like I have a little less control.
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       08-26-2016, 10:19 AM Reply   
Wanted to give a quick update as I FINALLY got a chance to ride it yesterday.
Background:
6'1" 170 lbs, intermediate rider, no inverts yet, just WTW 360's, all the WTW 180 stuff & able to hit double-ups consistently now. My boat is a 19'6" Open Bow with a tower & ~ 900lbs of ballast stuffed in there. Speed is ~ 22mph (GPS speedo). Not a big wake compared to todays wake specific boats but it is clean & does the job for us amateurs :] I ride in a little protected cove off Tampa Bay so not always the smoothest water. I currently ride a 2013 140 Viva & 2013 139 Parks, 2013 139 Code 22 (plus I had a few Murrys & Hyperlites in the past too).

I purchased a 2016 Air Core 2 Space Blanket size 141 (MUCH bigger than a 141 which I knew going in but more on that later). Bindings are 2015 CWB JT's.

First impression = cool board! I could immediately feel my center of gravity shift more toward my front. it was like my back foot was being pushed up a little which put more weight on my front foot. It wasn't life altering or anything I am just being very open & descriptive as best I can.

Speed = SLOW compared to my Viva. Granted the Viva is on the other side of the spectrum & I would consider it a very fast board with its sharp rails & continuous rocker. I really had to work to cut outside of the wake. They say this board is 20% faster than the previous Bandwagon so I could not imagine riding that thing... One of the reasons I got the bigger board too is I figured it would sit higher than the 137 & be a little faster. Thoughts on that? Not sure if letting more line out may help me pull farther out either but I will try that as well as speeding up 1 to 2 mph. Problem with speeding up though is the wake shrinks bc my lil boat is not designed for wakeboarding.

Surface tricks & spins = felt good. I was surprised here bc I rode my Viva setup with the aftermarket skate .875" fins as I did not like the sticky feel with the stock 1". I was going to take off the 1" fins that come stock on the Space Blanket but decided to try it right out of the box. It felt very solid with them in but could easily break it loose when I wanted to slide the board around. Since it also comes with .8" Free Agent fins I am going to try those as well next time out :]

Ollie = very good ollies with this thing. Not sure which helped more the SUPER light board or the camber but it had a nice feel to it. So much so that I was easily throwing 360's coming from the inside of the wake, ollieing off the lip & landing smooth. Didn't need the big pop coming heel side going WTW.

Landings = very good smooth landings. Probably a combo of size & camber but seemed easier on the knees when landing in the flats or on top of the wake on a double up (Another reason I went bigger board).

Pop = the all important question... :] I will say it had a little more pop with less effort (Another reason I got the bigger board too was more surface area = more pop typically). The thing I struggled with was I was so use to charging hard with the viva & going 6-8' into the flats bc it was so fast but with this I cut what I thought was just as hard but landed only 2-3' into the flats. Granted I think more of the energy went to going up than out but it did not seem like an even trade off as I wasn't getting that much higher with the space blanket comp to the Viva but I was getting more distance with the viva. I think once I get more time on the board & learn to ride more with my front foot it should help with the speed & pop issues.

Overall I like it & will ride this one out. I think I will also buy a cheap closeout 2015 or 2016 Parks Camber to see how it feels (any faster, more pop, smoother, etc.) as well & sell the one I like the least. One thing I will say is save your $$$ & get the air core. It really feels that much better & totally worth it if you can get a close out 2016 for only $100 or some more.

Thanks all & I hope this helps :]
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-26-2016, 10:30 PM Reply   
Ksride, never have heard of needing a drastic stance change. Now that you mention it I think I did duck my stance out a tad more when I got on it but no big change.

Cdoggy81, the 2016 and earlier Parks is actually a bit slower than the Space Blanket. Now the 2017 Parks?...that's a different story and will be similar with a bit more edge than SB.
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       08-29-2016, 6:40 AM Reply   
Thanks SteeleAxis as I appreciate the info. I talked to my local salesman this weekend too & he said basically the same thing. The older parks had the most camber & Ronix has been dialing them down slowly since 2014. He suggested if I wanted to try a faster board (my biggest complaint about the SB) & more like my continuous rocker Viva that I am so used to was to find a close out 2015 William (with the lightweight intelligent core) or possibly a 2016 redesigned Bill. Thoughts?
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       08-30-2016, 2:39 PM Reply   
Looks like the 2016 Bill is more cable friendly (little more flex) so I will look for a 2015-2014 William to demo as I do not think they changed the shape any those years. Regardless I think I am keeping the Space Blanket as it is a cool board & may work well when I try cable parks here soon :]

Last edited by cdoggy81; 08-30-2016 at 2:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-01-2016, 10:32 AM Reply   
Do you all think to get the benefit out of camber boards you need to stay more balanced with more weight on front foot vs a more traditional board? One problem I am working on is I tend to be too back foot heavy doing toeside tricks
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-01-2016, 12:17 PM Reply   
is the timebomb a camber board?
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-01-2016, 1:22 PM Reply   
Sorry I got behind! cdoggy, looks like you got Bill figured out and would be fun board for sure!

Steve, one of the benefits of camber IS that it puts more weight in your front foot. The way the water pressure breaks under camber pushes the weight to be a bit more even (with the downside being it feels slow to some compared to many traditional boards). It isn't something you have to do, the board does it for you, and you might find it helps with those toesides!

Bill, no the One Timebomb is a 3 stage rocker not camber. Amazing board though!
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-01-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
OH - and the new 2017 quick product vids just dropped...here's your two male camber options (Limelight for women vid not out yet).

Space Blanket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjKasmSdt0

Parks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wSag797ND4
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-02-2016, 6:21 AM Reply   
so you guys are saying that these cambers push you on your front foot more by design and you don't have to relearn TRYING to get on your front foot more in your cut?
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       09-02-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
Nice!
Looks like Parks got a redesign for 2017. Should be "faster" like the space blanket...
I'm still going to try & grab a close out William for cheap & in a year when the prices come down, I'll try a new Parks :-)
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-02-2016, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm interested to see if the new 2017 Parks will have a faster feel and more aggressive edge than the Space Blanket. Sound like they have made changes to make the new Parks a faster ride
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-03-2016, 7:01 AM Reply   
so when you say the cambers are slow , how slow? say the SB is faster, but how slow is it still say to a standard LF board, which are fast?

Years ago I rode both the Platinums Cdub Transcend and absolutes , rockers were huge but rough water slowed an already slower board down so I finally switched back to more traditional boards..i broke so many they stopped replacing them as well LOL that helped the switch
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       09-03-2016, 12:38 PM Reply   
Bill - speed is relative so best I would say is you have to ride one for yourself.
For me I could tell a difference. My buddy could not. I had a continuous rocker board & he had a 3 stage. I cut very hard & he rolls into it.
Is all about perspective & personal preference
Old     (KSride)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-06-2016, 1:05 PM Reply   
After riding this summer on a camber I was to share my thoughts and ask for some advice:
I picked up a 2014 Parks Modello last Fall after hurting my knee last July and looking for something a little easier on my knee moving forward, I was looking at the slingshot blue pill and Watson hybrid and stumbled upon the Parks at a crazy low price. ( I had been riding a LF S4 the prior 3 years)

It took me several runs to get used to the camber ride and especially figuring out how to pop the board, fairly immediately I noticed that I had more control in the air and felt much more balanced during all riding.

Fast forward to this weekend when I rode my cousins 2015 Blue Pill and I noticed several things I dislike about the parks:

The easiest thing to notice was the glide speed, I knew the parks was slow but the Blue Pill felt effortless to maintain speed on compared to the Parks, I also felt like the pill was much easier to get big pop on and I felt like I was going much bigger with less effort. On my Parks I still struggle to get consistent pop, When I get it right the board gives a massive pop but overall most of the time I fail to achieve that. I wonder if the Parks is simply beyond my skill level.

I loved the Blue Pill, but I do like the control and balance that Camber offers, I guess what I would like input on is whether or not my struggle to find consistency is a camber vs traditional rocker, or would I find better luck on the Space Blanket? I know the Space Blanket would feel less like I'm dragging an anchor.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-17-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSride View Post

Fast forward to this weekend when I rode my cousins 2015 Blue Pill and I noticed several things I dislike about the parks:

The easiest thing to notice was the glide speed, I knew the parks was slow but the Blue Pill felt effortless to maintain speed on compared to the Parks, I also felt like the pill was much easier to get big pop on and I felt like I was going much bigger with less effort. On my Parks I still struggle to get consistent pop, When I get it right the board gives a massive pop but overall most of the time I fail to achieve that. I wonder if the Parks is simply beyond my skill level.

I loved the Blue Pill, but I do like the control and balance that Camber offers, I guess what I would like input on is whether or not my struggle to find consistency is a camber vs traditional rocker, or would I find better luck on the Space Blanket? I know the Space Blanket would feel less like I'm dragging an anchor.
Could you tell a difference in landings? The space Blanket to me felt really soft on the landings. Curious if you felt any difference in blue Pill vs Parks?
Old     (KSride)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-19-2016, 6:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
Could you tell a difference in landings? The space Blanket to me felt really soft on the landings. Curious if you felt any difference in blue Pill vs Parks?
Yes I could tell a difference, The blue Pill felt a good deal softer than I remember my S4 being but the Parks is definitely softer. I didn't mind the landings of the blue pill but the cambers landings are so soft.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
are the 2016 and 2017 Space blankets going to be the same?

also sizing- I have heard you go a size smaller with camber, is that true? I typically ride 138-141 traditional boards so would the 137 be better fit for me? I'm 5'8 165
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-24-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
are the 2016 and 2017 Space blankets going to be the same?

also sizing- I have heard you go a size smaller with camber, is that true? I typically ride 138-141 traditional boards so would the 137 be better fit for me? I'm 5'8 165
Same shape but slightly different core...the 17 has the new I-Beam which makes center of board bit more explosive/stiffer.

Not automatically step down for camber but with the Space Blanket they are longer than the listed size suggests so yes you should do 137.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Same shape but slightly different core...the 17 has the new I-Beam which makes center of board bit more explosive/stiffer.

Not automatically step down for camber but with the Space Blanket they are longer than the listed size suggests so yes you should do 137.
ok so what the biggest difference between the ATR and Air Core?

IM riding this BOAT only so keep that in mind..

Last edited by bill; 09-24-2016 at 7:34 AM. Reason: left out
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-24-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
Weight and responsiveness...if you are getting a 16 space blanket go air core for sure. 17 space blanket only comes in air core.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2016, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Weight and responsiveness...if you are getting a 16 space blanket go air core for sure. 17 space blanket only comes in air core.
too bad because I found a 141 ATR SB for 264 brand new but seems like size and core would make it a tank for me thanks for the heads up
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
whats the difference between the air core and air core 2?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2016, 9:22 AM Reply   
OK tired of messing around

I found a good deal, I think online, pulled the trigger on 2015 Black and White Ones to go with a 2016 Air Core 2 137 SB.. $669 shipped..deal?

these should look good together white/black combos..
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-24-2016, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
OK tired of messing around

I found a good deal, I think online, pulled the trigger on 2015 Black and White Ones to go with a 2016 Air Core 2 137 SB.. $669 shipped..deal?

these should look good together white/black combos..
Sounds like great deal on that combo and should look great! Pic is above but I rode the 16 SB with the black Parks boots last year and it was an awesome setup. The Ones are killer too and will be a bit more supportive.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-30-2016, 4:07 PM Reply   
Bam!

Now to just get it wet, soon! real soon...
Attached Images

Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-30-2016, 4:29 PM Reply   
Awesome! Let us know how you like it. Also, if too locked in you can swap to the .8 free agent fins which are perfect balance of hold and play.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2016, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Awesome! Let us know how you like it. Also, if too locked in you can swap to the .8 free agent fins which are perfect balance of hold and play.
i plan to try both sets of fins to see which is best..this could be a tough adjustment coming off a traditional board like a Harley..
Old     (jww)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-01-2016, 8:32 AM Reply   
Great looking setup Bill. Really curious to hear your review. I'm debating getting a ronix spaceblanket... currently riding, hyperlite marek... my thinking/hope is more pop and softer landing.... maybe that is an oxymoron?

what size did you get? was also thinking i would get the largest board possible... i'm 185 lbs..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Great looking setup Bill. Really curious to hear your review. I'm debating getting a ronix spaceblanket... currently riding, hyperlite marek... my thinking/hope is more pop and softer landing.... maybe that is an oxymoron?

what size did you get? was also thinking i would get the largest board possible... i'm 185 lbs..
I got the 137 as I'm 165 it seems pretty big in person.. I cant wait to ride it either , looking for pulls ..hopefully this week it gets wet..
Old     (cdoggy81)      Join Date: May 2016       10-02-2016, 7:31 PM Reply   
I just put the .8 fins on & I love the feel.
Also, I was surprised how heavy the 1" alum fins were over the .8" plastic ones..
185 & you want soft landings the yes go for the 141. They do run big as we all pointed out (137 is basically a 140) as my 141 next to my 2013 Parks 139 looks small
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2016, 6:53 AM Reply   
OK Camber day one review..

OK used the board with stock 1.0 fins on it for first run, not good at all , its not the speed or lack thereof that's the problem with this camber board, its how hard it is to move edge to edge and to roll into a progressive turn.. It literally feels like you are dragging an Anchor behind you or a better analogy its the difference between driving an old truck without power steering compared to my Harley has nice new power steering LOL it just unresponsive..it had me huffing and puffing on my first set.. wore me out..

2nd set- changed to .8 ramp fins- however water condition got a little roll and rough BUT it was noticeable more responsive and easier to ride with the smaller fins for sure.. much better and it does land very stable and a bit softer than my Harley but is it because I'm not taking it as big and in the flats yet?

however I might take a dremmel to these fins and change the depth and a little on the length and see how it goes. id like to get this on a super long buttery river run to give it a fair shot..

right now the Jury is out, its definitely going to take some time learning it, time will tell if I keep it or sell it..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2016, 6:58 AM Reply   
camber mates lol
Attached Images

Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-05-2016, 2:20 PM Reply   
I'm looking to sell a 2016 Ronix Space Blanket 137 for $250. Here is the CL link: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/5811235897.html
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-06-2016, 6:20 AM Reply   
does anybody know IF ronix makes a .6 or .7 ramp type fin for the Cambers?
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-06-2016, 7:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
does anybody know IF ronix makes a .6 or .7 ramp type fin for the Cambers?
Yep they have 0.6 fins as well you can get!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-07-2016, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yep they have 0.6 fins as well you can get!
called my local pro shop, they do in fact have some .6 fins, im picking them up on the way to the lake tomorrow for Round 2 of the camber experiment LOL