Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-18-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Had my 3rd go at wakeboarding today. I have no problems getting up and can now stay up but don't know what I should be attempting next. I don't have a tower yet so I am being pulled from the back of the boat. A tower is next on my list. I've uploaded a video of my last run before I finished up today and am looking for as much advice as possible on what to aim for next

from Chris McArthur on Vimeo.

Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-18-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
Without trying to sound like a dick here, get your driver to go in a straight line and consistent speed. its hard to learn when there are so many variables working against you.

Once that is dialed in, try moving some people or weight around to eliminate some of the wash in the wake, give yourself something solid to work with. Then just try cutting out the wake, working on your heel and toe edges and carving back through the wake. Don't worry about trying to jump until that is good to go. Next start with some switch heel & toe edges... get all that comfortable and you will be ready to take it to the next level. Have fun!!!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-18-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
Without trying to sound like a dick here, get your driver to go in a straight line and consistent speed. its hard to learn when there are so many variables working against you.

Once that is dialed in, try moving some people or weight around to eliminate some of the wash in the wake, give yourself something solid to work with. Then just try cutting out the wake, working on your heel and toe edges and carving back through the wake. Don't worry about trying to jump until that is good to go. Next start with some switch heel & toe edges... get all that comfortable and you will be ready to take it to the next level. Have fun!!!
Yeah, because we were coming back in he was playing around with the speed a bit to see how it was. I don't think I am getting a great wake to work with from the boat
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-18-2011, 4:00 PM Reply   
Its worth it to invest in some sort of instructional DVD (The Book, Detention). They're great in giving you tips on how to improve on what you can already do, and they show you the next step for your progression. I have The Book, and it has sections on driving and weighting your boat as well as riding. Well worth the money for me.
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-18-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Its worth it to invest in some sort of instructional DVD (The Book, Detention). They're great in giving you tips on how to improve on what you can already do, and they show you the next step for your progression. I have The Book, and it has sections on driving and weighting your boat as well as riding. Well worth the money for me.
I'll have a look for that. Thanks
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-20-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Another vid

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-21-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
Stuey has some good advice.

I also suggest pushing your hips forward more so that your butt isn't hanging out quite so much.

With the wake on your boat like that you might want to try and put a bit of weight in the nose to see if it will help clean up the wake and by a bit it could even be two people. I would also suggest shortening your rope by about 5' if possible.

Check out the beginner trick list here on wakeworld for some idea's as to what to do as well. Have fun!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 4:20 AM Reply   
Thanks, last nights fun

Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-07-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalshadow View Post
Stuey has some good advice.

I also suggest pushing your hips forward more so that your butt isn't hanging out quite so much.

With the wake on your boat like that you might want to try and put a bit of weight in the nose to see if it will help clean up the wake and by a bit it could even be two people. I would also suggest shortening your rope by about 5' if possible.

Check out the beginner trick list here on wakeworld for some idea's as to what to do as well. Have fun!
Could someone provide a link to this please. Can't seem to find it
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-07-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
http://youtu.be/E0ROuM5ZoqA

He explains a couple things you'll find useful here. He explains the center fin discussion you were talking about, as well as correct body posture.
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-07-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
Also, watch some videos of professionals to get a better idea of proper form... heelside, toeside, jumping, edging. All useful stuff!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-10-2011, 6:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverlove View Post
Also, watch some videos of professionals to get a better idea of proper form... heelside, toeside, jumping, edging. All useful stuff!
Thanks Nicole.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
start working your edges and the transitions between them. Cut out away from the wake on either side, roll into your approach edge then turn right before you hit the wake and cut back out again. building blocks to edging into the wake.
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-10-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
start working your edges and the transitions between them. Cut out away from the wake on either side, roll into your approach edge then turn right before you hit the wake and cut back out again. building blocks to edging into the wake.
have a coaching session on Saturday with two of the top coaches in the UK.

Can't wait to get behind the Super Air Nautique 210. Although I reckon the size of the wake will frighten me at first lol