Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (kobedog68)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-18-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
I have a 02 Sanger v210. Just got her in the water the other day and noticed quite a bit of water in the blige. I read a number of posts on leaking and have the tried the following with no success. Fake lake and filled water in bilge to find possible leak. Repacked the stuffing box and now it only drips 2-3 times per minute. Today I noticed that it may be taking on water when going faser than 30mph. After each wakeboarding session, the bilge stayed relatively dry, but I'm now drawing a conclusion that its when we drive to and from the spots we like to board, the boat takes on water. So I am guess this when it happens, but not sure why and what to check. Any suggestion?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-18-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
Had a boat once that did the same thing and could never find it until i drove it with the doghouse open, yup there it was ... a cracked head. Wouldn't show until the rpm's were up and the pressure raised. Wouldn't do it on the fake-lake though.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Is water warm or lake temperature? If warm water you have to check anywhere engine coolant could leak; engine block, heater, heads, tranny cooler, shower, and any hose connections between these systems. Lots of places this could fail. If water is lake temp then you have to check hull leaks, balast system, fresh water pump and connections. Leaks while underway would lead me in the direction of a pump / coolant system leak.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Got a ballast system? If it has a scoop for a water intake, you could have a leak that only shows up when pressure is on the system at higher speeds.
Old     (kobedog68)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-19-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback. No ballast system and I didn't touch the water to feel if it was warm or lake temp. I did speak with a marine tech and he said it's very unlikely a crack head or block given the boat runs well, so he's suspecting a leaking freeze plug (if engine related), hose, or pepcock OR the leak is hull related (rudder, inlet or shaft area - I'll check and make sure everything is bolted down tight). I'll run another fake lake to see if it's engine related. I was told to replace a freeze plug is $1000, does that sound right? I have the 350 MPI mercruiser.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
I had a boat that had a sizeable leak where the hull joined with the deck.

Sitting still it wasn't any problem because the hull/deck joint was well above the water line. While running, however, the spray off the bow (especially in a turn) would come up, hit that joint and leak into the hull.

The rudder post is another likely spot to leak while running but not while sitting. It is probable that the top of the rudder pipe is above the water line so that it doesn't leak when the boat is sitting still. Under way, however, the force of the water hitting the rudder can channel water up the rudder shaft above the water line and cause it to leak.

A leak that occurs when then engine is running could be from a water pump. There are two: the raw water pump that pulls water up from the lake and the circulating pump, which is the same as a car has. If either of these pumps are starting to fail they could leak out the shaft when the engine is running.

Replacing a freeze plug could be a $5, ten minute job if you can get to the freeze plug. If you have to pull the engine to get to the freeze plug then it could be $1000. Of course, if one is bad they are all suspect.

Rod