Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-09-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
I'm excited about 2 months of upcoming man-ternity, I've houseboated numerous times from marinas but have been curious. Are their private owners who rent them @ the ball.
Essentially I want a way to sleep on the water with as little work as possible but the amenities of a houseboat, The crowd is less than 5 people and 1 Wake boat anytime in April or May.

Is this a dream? Does this happen? I'm a long time boater but have never heard of this occurring. I trust the wakeworld community to enlighten me......Thanks!
Old    brycejay            03-10-2009, 12:05 AM Reply   
My family owns a share of a houseboat at Lake Powell and I know that they are not allowed to rent out their houseboat because of the marinas rules. Basically the marina wants NO competition and if they find out you are doing it they fine you or kick you off the marina or something. Not sure exactly how it works, I just know we are not supposed to do it. Ours is on a ball, but we still pay the marina for the ball... I think
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2009, 12:42 AM Reply   
I live on my houseboat for the majority of the summer...It's the life! Good luck, I hope it works out for you and your crew!
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2009, 1:28 AM Reply   
Depends where you're headed.
Old     (papag)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-10-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
My family has a houseboat on Don Pedro. At Pedro, it is against the rules to rent out your personal houseboat.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-10-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
It's not renting if your "cousin" wants to stay on your houseboat for a few months.

In these economic times...especially in CA it's worth a shot.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-11-2009, 12:16 AM Reply   
Well...if somebody were looking to not have their houseboat sit empty in these tough times and thought that letting uncle Jordan with the family and baby hang on board for a fair number of cases or whatever....maybe offline would be better: Kidder94@aol.com

Specifically April-May...wouldn't want to "move a houseboat" but am very capable if necessary.

Yet....by the tone of this thread I'm guessing it's majorly not OK....So thanks Wakeworlders for enlightening me.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-11-2009, 12:32 AM Reply   
And in case I'm being taken seriously because I love to live outside the box...W/in 5 hours of the Bay Area which means Shasta and closer.
No, I don't mean 2 whole months...probably 7-10-14 days whatever. I might end up at a marina, or I might end up mutually getting hooked up, but I'm still stoked my wife is allowing me to live the fantasy with a 1 month old baby!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-11-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Good luck man. Sounds like a killer idea. Another thought might be a rental in Discovery Bay. You could rent 1 room of a house and still be able to get the on the water lifestyle. I've thought about doing this in the past.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-12-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
Ok, so who's got a house for rent on the water in Discovery Bay...I'm up for anywhere from 2-6 months.

I work too hard for "the man" to be cooped up! I'm gettin on water one way or the other...I just want to be that guy who has his morning coffee overlooking the glassy water. For longer than my 1 July week on Shasta every year :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-13-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Check out the wakeboarding discussion area. He's looking for a yearly lease, but you may be able to go in with someone or work something out. The place looks great.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-13-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
"I'm still stoked my wife is allowing me to live the fantasy with a 1 month old baby!"

I am not understanding this.

Are you saying that your wife is allowing you to run off for a week or two by yourself while she stays home with a new born? Are you sure this isn't a trap?

Like others have said, many lakes will not allow private houseboats to be rentals. There are some people that try to fly under the radar and manage to get away with it, however. Finding these people can be the trick because they don't advertise in the usual spots, it is more word of mouth.

You might have some luck on the California Delta where no such laws exist.