Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-17-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 210 Air Nautique with a pcm engine. I was out last weekend and ran into some problems. The boat started up fine and cruised around for a bit. As soon as I filled the ballast tanks it would not go over 11mph. I opened the engine compartment and found an inch of water at the bottom. I drained it and the ballast tanks. The boat ran fine with no ballast for about two hours. Then it randomly shut off. Started up again just fine and then a half hour later in shut off again. It started shutting off more frequently after that. The oil pressure and engine temp is fine. My first guess is a clog in the fuel line or fuel filter. Almost like the engine was being starved of power. This weekend is suppose to be nice and I want to be on the water. The earliest my mechanic can look at it is this coming Tuesday. Any ideas what the issue might be? Thanks!
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-17-2014, 1:19 PM Reply   
Water in fuel?
Old     (rznhales)      Join Date: May 2012       07-17-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
Sounds suspiciously like a fuel pump. Open the motor cover and turn the key on but don't start it and see if you can hear the pump turn on and build up pressure. It should be an audible whine but not loud. My '02 VLX has a combined fuel pump and regulator, yours may be separate so if you hear the pump the regulator may be the issue. Changing the fuel filter would definitely be the easiest place to start (and cheapest) and work from there.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
I was wondering if its one of the pump-in-the-tank set ups. because the symptoms certainly match the failures i have seen with those.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-18-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I think it is fuel related too. Filter or pump. I don't think it is the fuel itself as I only use a high grade gas.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-18-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
Most PCM engines should not have a fuel filter in the tank. Some can have one and others can have 2 filters. The primary filter you'll want to check is the FCC filter. From everything you've said it doesn't sound like a fuel fitler issue. Typically fuel issues will cause your boat to run rough and you would probably know right away. If it ran fine, but shut down, that sounds more like a failing fuel pump. The fuel injected PCM engines have 2 fuel pumps, a high pressure and low pressure so keep that in mind. Also, just food for thought becuase this has happened, if you haven't checked your cap lately, check it. I've seen caps be so corroded that they cut interupt spark to the spark plugs and can cause a boat to do what yours is doing. More than likely fuel pump "IMO"
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-18-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
Change your FCC filter and your inline filter and I bet you'll be fine. No filter or pumps in the tank.