Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-14-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
It's time to oil the swim platform on a sanger v215 I bought.
No clue as to which teak oil is/works the best.

Are there any certain kinds that are better than others?
Where to buy?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-14-2014, 4:31 PM Reply   
I don't know about the oil but I would look at Teak Wonder 2 part cleaner and brightener. I used that on my old Nautique 2001 and my dad's ocean alexander.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-14-2014, 5:13 PM Reply   
I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Cla...words=teak+oil

I've tried regular teak oil. 120 grit sanding then oil. Sand, cleaner, oil. Just oil. Didn't matter, it would end up with an oil slick behind the boat every time and wear out within a couple of weeks (trailered/garaged boat).

I don't love this stuff either but is far better than the regular oils I have used. Application at the start of the season, mid season refresh and it stays decent looking. I went all year on one coat this year but the platform looks like hell at the end of the season. I'm not hard on my teak either.
Old     (SecretSquirrel)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-14-2014, 5:54 PM Reply   
This works great as well. The 3 step process is worth it if you've got that opld gray looking teak. http://www.amazon.com/Starbrite-Teak...238718-4679123
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-14-2014, 8:01 PM Reply   
I used to use Amazon, but now I like the Starbrite Premium Teak Oil. I think it lasts a bit longer. Also, that 3 step system is great. It works so well for cleaning your teak without damaging it.
Old     (echo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-15-2014, 5:58 AM Reply   
I just finished refurbishing my platform and there are a lot of steps you can follow. I bought my teak oil from Home Depot, the brand name is Watco and was about $10 a quart. Good stuff, cheap and available. I probably put on about 10 coats over two weeks and used about half the can.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-Q...141/100154957#
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-15-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
I used that StarBright 3 step process on my Sanger teak platform and it made it look brand new. Now I just oil it with the StarBright teak oil from time to time and it continues to stay new looking. I personally don't think there is much difference between teak oil brands. The trick is to do the first 2 steps to get the wood looking really nice, then just keep oil on it now and then.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       01-15-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
I agree with Derek. i had a 85 2001 SN and the platform was trashed when i picked it up. I used the 3 step starbright and was amazed from the outcome. i wish i would have taken pictures.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-15-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
How far gone is this? Does it need sanding, or can I just use the cleaner-brightener-oil/sealer?

Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-15-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
sanding should be done only to smooth out scratches/scrapes. teak is naturally oily. sanding can clog the grain making it weather faster. if you do sand, scrub the grain clean afterward with a brush...in the direction of the grain.

in the above pic, i'd use the multi-step cleaner first and then decide if some of those areas need to be made more smooth. looks mostly superficial from the pics.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-15-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
yeah, that teak need loads of sanding and 12 oz of teak oil, get to work
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-15-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
I don't think that needs to be sanded at all. Do a cleaner and brightener with a stiff bristled brush and see how it looks. Does Teak really need to be sanded if you are using oil? I think sanding is more used when varnishing teak.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-15-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
J M, that deck is in pretty good shape. You can just use a bronze wool pad, if you can find them, or a non steel BBQ brush. Rub in the direction of the grain. Use a teak cleaner if you want. Use a mini roller to spread on a teak or a tung oil. Let it soak in. Repeat. If there is excess you can wipe that off after it has been on for quite a few minutes.

If you ever decide to sand it do not use anything finer than an 80 grit and sand only in the direction of the grain. This is not a painted shiny surface. It's a wet floor.
Binding lube is the worst thing for teak decks as the soap can pick up the oil and leave some inconsistency in the finish.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-15-2014, 8:44 PM Reply   
That's sun damage...get a boat cover that covers it too. Don't sand it. Clean it as described. Remember it's not a coffee table.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-16-2014, 3:21 PM Reply   
X2 on the Watco
PSA freshly oiled teak will be slick as snot the first few times out
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-16-2014, 8:50 PM Reply   
Anyone have thoughts on the Meguiars teak oil and teak cleaner?

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-141-teak-cleaner.html

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product/4667
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-16-2014, 9:13 PM Reply   
a few of us have debated this in a previous thread, but if you do decide to sand it, i wouldn't go anything finer than 80 grit- i used 60 when refinishing mine added 3 coats of amazon then a refresher coat as needed through out the summer. Remember this isn't a piece of furniture you're displaying. Its a platform with oil on it and in the water. Someone can get hurt in a hurry if you sand it to be smooth to your hand or to look like a show piece. I've eaten major sh*t on one and it didn't feel good. Hence 60 grit. Mine looks great and nobody has fallen, gotten hurt and cut a day short.
Old     (MWG)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-17-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have had great success with a mixture 75% Linseed Oil & 25% Mineral Spirits.. brush it on, leave it for a n hour, wipe off the excess & let it dry 24 hours.. repeat a couple of times
Old     (islandteak)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-17-2014, 10:48 PM Reply   
Hi....most teak oils are primarily kerosene 70 % and 30 % linseed oil. Use a mixture of 70% tung oil and a solvent for the tung to penetrate the wood. Do not apply the pure tung oil in direct sunlight. Apply indoors or on a cloudy day. Tung is UV resistant when dry. Re apply prior to being necessary.
You will be happy....so will the teak.

regards...Ken / Island Teak
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-18-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
Has anyone here ever heard of using ATF (transmission fluid)? I have a family member that swears that it does a better job than any teak oil ever will. I just assumed it would stain the teak red, but he says not. I'm not about to go and try it so has anyone ever seen it done?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-18-2014, 8:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post
Has anyone here ever heard of using ATF (transmission fluid)? I have a family member that swears that it does a better job than any teak oil ever will. I just assumed it would stain the teak red, but he says not. I'm not about to go and try it so has anyone ever seen it done?
The best
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-19-2014, 7:52 AM Reply   
Adding toxic products to the lake I'm in? Nope. Read the MSDS for any of them. Most specify that they are harmful to aquatic organisms and can cause long term negative affects on marine environments.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-19-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
Haha thats a good one.

You think a few cups of atf on a platform is gonna adversly effect the lake? How much gasoline do you think gets spilled in the lake on a daily basis?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-19-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
Lol. I am not in any way condoning using ATF on the platform, I would use only recommended products that are marine safe, BUT the guy operating the large thirsty V8 wakeboat all over the lake, burning 40 gallons of gasoline, and the emissions going straight into the lake, is worried about negative effects on marine environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-16-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
Just wanted to give a big +1 for starbrite teak sealer.
This stuff is awesome, it have me the exact look I was going for.
As far as longevity I can't comment, but a little goes a long way and a few mins here and there to re apply is not an issue for me.
My platform looks awesome!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-16-2014, 10:18 PM Reply   
Great to hear J.mo
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-17-2014, 8:05 AM Reply   
Teak sealer holds up pretty well. Much better than the teak oil I was originally using. I think I only had to reapply the sealer once last season.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-29-2014, 2:47 AM Reply   
Does the teak oil stain clothes?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-29-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
Scratch any teak oil.

75% boiled linseed oil
25% mineral spirits