Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-28-2014, 1:08 PM Reply   
I went to check out a new wake surfer at a shop that has LF TC Custom, Inland Surfer, Broadcast and many other boards. I currently have an older Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" and LF Fish, which I don't care for. Have been using the Broadcast with 1 fin and having fun. Am able to go ropeless easily and do 360's but can't stay in the wake. Am looking for something I can spin easier but can also cruise, carve a bit more and learn some new tricks. They said the T-Rex is "perfect". Several salespeople told me how much better it is than a Broadcast. I bought a 4'7" and I weigh 190. They said the 5'0" would be too big and not as nimble.

I searched forever trying to find info on this board. Anyone try it? Any thoughts? I haven't taken it out of the box yet in case I should try something else.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-29-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
Must be a board that no one really uses. Any alternate suggestions?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-29-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
phase 5 makes great skim boards, can't go wrong if you are looking for a skim
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Is this the board?
http://www.slingshotsports.com/2014-...7#.U7HWaY1dXKk

Can you try before you buy? l I'm always leery of boards that use proprietary fins but it might be a great board. Lots of nice "custom" boards out there that are proven. (In no particular order) Soulcraft, Walker Project, Idol, Shred Stix (and Chaos), Brigade, Doomswell, Mendonesia and Day 1 just to name a few. These are all boards with Pro or Pro-Level riders riding them at comps every weekend.

Also, when you jump on one of these boards, it will take you a couple of outings to get used to the performance difference. They are all lightning fast compared to your Broadcast and Fish boards. Don't be intimidated though, you will get comfortable on them.

One more item, take a look here: http://www.southernsurfest.com/boards.html - they have reviews on all of those boards.

Last edited by timmyb; 06-30-2014 at 2:40 PM.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-30-2014, 3:31 PM Reply   
Yes, Timmy that is the board. The place where I bought allows me to return any "unused " board. So I really think I have to gamble on it and I'm just not comfortable on rolling the dice on a nearly $500 board.

Thanks for the link! I will check out the options on a more well known design. My only concern is that they suggested that a true skim board requires a lot of movement to stay in the pocket and are not good for just cruising. Not sure if that is accurate.

Thanks Timmy and Doug Rose for the help!

Last edited by jkaser; 06-30-2014 at 3:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2014, 5:54 PM Reply   
If you are wanting something to cruise around on and relax, I would vote for a surf style board (i.e. - full 4" surf fins). If you are wanting something highly maneuverable, go with a skim. Some people love skim and are really good at it, I am not! LOL! We had a Phase 5 skim and while it was a nice board, it just wasn't what we were looking for. I personally ride a 4'9" Walker Project Bomb Pop and love it. I have also ridden a few different Soulcraft's and they ride equally well. We also have a Liquid Force 5'4" Custom Quad and I can take the boat up to 13+ mph and cruise right along without having to work too much and I am 200 lbs.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-01-2014, 4:43 PM Reply   
I'm actually looking for something I can both cruise and do some carving, tricks, 360's, etc. I talked to the people at the place I bought it and they are confident that I will love this board and that it fits my needs perfectly. They are allowing me to use it and return it if I'm not convinced. So, I got it out of the box, assembled fins and will give it a try in the next few days. We shall see!
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-01-2014, 7:33 PM Reply   
FCS= not proprietary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Is this the board?
http://www.slingshotsports.com/2014-...7#.U7HWaY1dXKk

Can you try before you buy? l I'm always leery of boards that use proprietary fins but it might be a great board. Lots of nice "custom" boards out there that are proven. (In no particular order) Soulcraft, Walker Project, Idol, Shred Stix (and Chaos), Brigade, Doomswell, Mendonesia and Day 1 just to name a few. These are all boards with Pro or Pro-Level riders riding them at comps every weekend.

Also, when you jump on one of these boards, it will take you a couple of outings to get used to the performance difference. They are all lightning fast compared to your Broadcast and Fish boards. Don't be intimidated though, you will get comfortable on them.

One more item, take a look here: http://www.southernsurfest.com/boards.html - they have reviews on all of those boards.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHolloway View Post
FCS= not proprietary...
They didn't look like FCS to me, they looked like the knock-off versions like LF uses in their boards which is why I used the word proprietary. If they are FCS, I stand corrected!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2014, 3:22 PM Reply   
i would LOVE to hear a review on this board...
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-02-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
I will provide my non-expert review once I've tried it. Looks like I'm going to be able to surf tomorrow afternoon. If I don't like it I'm thinking now of Phase 5 Danielo or Walker Prohect Bomb based on the recommendations and reviews.

Last edited by jkaser; 07-02-2014 at 3:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-02-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
BTW, I have no idea if the fins are proprietary or not. It is nice that it comes with 5 fins. I'm starting with just the 2 forward fins for a bit looser skim-type feel.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-03-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
The Slingshot T-Rex is horrible! Makes the Broadcast feel like an amazing board. I couldn't go ropeless whatsoever when I can do it extremely easy on the Broadcast. I tried different fin configurations but nothing helped. Couldn't get it out of my boat fast enough! My arms were getting tired as this just was dragging through the water. Oh well, now I know.