Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-06-2016, 6:42 PM Reply   
And what about the 24mxz? Which is better?

What other boats surf comparably well?

I'm trying to get a boat that will allow me to surf easily and allow me to grow. I want a large boat for my big crew.

Thanks!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-07-2016, 5:53 AM Reply   
The 25LSV freaking rocks. The 24MXZ is getting good reviews too, but not many of them out there yet.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-07-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
Aaron

Good thread which helped me decide all we do is surf and wanted a big boat we ended up going with a Supra's SE450 which is a 24.7 foot boat.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806814
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       10-07-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
Have not ridden the 24mxz so could not tell you. Have ridden the 25lsv as well as the Axis24, Supra SE, SG, and Ri237 and I would put those all in about the same class so far as wave quality is concerned. The supercharged Supra engine is very efficient. The LSV uses a LOT of fuel in comparison. However, at that price point who cares? . Demo them all if you can. Personal preference will play a huge role in which you decide upon.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-07-2016, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have one on order now. For wakeboarding it is the best wake I have ever been on. So big and the transition is so smooth. I've never gone so big and landed so silky.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-07-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfidaho View Post
Have not ridden the 24mxz so could not tell you. Have ridden the 25lsv as well as the Axis24, Supra SE, SG, and Ri237 and I would put those all in about the same class so far as wave quality is concerned. The supercharged Supra engine is very efficient. The LSV uses a LOT of fuel in comparison. However, at that price point who cares? . Demo them all if you can. Personal preference will play a huge role in which you decide upon.
The Supra and the Malibu both have the same engine.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2016, 1:22 PM Reply   
My bet would be that even though both boats have the same engine, the wedge creates much more drag than the plates that Supra is using, which corresponds to more fuel usage and RPM's.
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       10-07-2016, 3:23 PM Reply   
My apologies for not being more specific The Malibu I rode had the Indmar 450 and the Supra had the Roushcharged Indmar 575. The wedge probably creates some difference too. The difference in handling is also notable between the two with the Supra feeling more nimble to me. Personally I could be very happy in either boat. Just thought I would mention it. In a full day on the water the Malibu had to refuel where the Supra did not. If I am not mistaken the Malibu also has a different trans ratio? like 1.76 compared to the Supra 1.5 so that may play a factor as well. So perhaps I only muddied the water here However, all the boats I mentioned did surf great on both sides. Cheers!

Last edited by surfidaho; 10-07-2016 at 3:26 PM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-08-2016, 6:02 AM Reply   
Full disclosure: I am affiliated with Malibu.

The Malibu wedge increases the size of the wake. The plates that Supra uses actually make the wake smaller. Basically, the biggest wake/wave on a supra is when you aren't using the wake plates... You can call it a wake "enhancer", but it doesn't make the wake bigger than it would without them. Anyone can feel free to correct me. It has been a few years since I have hard-examined the supra system.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       10-08-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post

The Malibu wedge increases the size of the wake. The plates that Supra uses actually make the wake smaller. Basically, the biggest wake/wave on a supra is when you aren't using the wake plates... You can call it a wake "enhancer", but it doesn't make the wake bigger than it would without them. Anyone can feel free to correct me. It has been a few years since I have hard-examined the supra system.

Why would it make it smaller? In the market of bigger is better, I just don't see why they would do that. Its all about delaying the tranvergence (spelling/maybe wrong word haha) of the water. Just like any other surf system out there.

I was told from a Bu/Axis dealer that the wedge basically simulates an extra 1000lbs of ballast. So yes it would obviously make your wake bigger.

Not sure on the supra though but would like to know if their Swell System makes the wave smaller.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-08-2016, 11:17 AM Reply   
I think you are confusing the two.
The Malibu has 2 different components 1) the wedge - which as you said simulates 1,000 # of ballast that can be used in both wake boarding and wakesurfing. 2) the surf gates which are only used for surfing (below 15 MPH) and is the delay convergence you have mentioned.
The Supra system is 3 trim tabs they do not increase the size of the wake or wave but rather shape it.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       10-08-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnkids View Post
I think you are confusing the two.
The Malibu has 2 different components 1) the wedge - which as you said simulates 1,000 # of ballast that can be used in both wake boarding and wakesurfing. 2) the surf gates which are only used for surfing (below 15 MPH) and is the delay convergence you have mentioned.
The Supra system is 3 trim tabs they do not increase the size of the wake or wave but rather shape it.

Convergence....that's the word I was looking for lol

Right, the more weight the bigger the wave. Swell just shapes.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-08-2016, 2:54 PM Reply   
I think Jonathan is referring to the middle plate mostly. The middle plate in the surf tab systems makes it flatter when all the way down. Good for launching and cleaning up the wake for beginners. The left and right plates are just different methods of delaying convergence for the wave, but the center plate can be used when surfing to clean it up some as well and make it more skim style.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-09-2016, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewfo View Post
Aaron

Good thread which helped me decide all we do is surf and wanted a big boat we ended up going with a Supra's SE450 which is a 24.7 foot boat.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806814
Saw My 1st se450 saltwater 24.5 and it was the biggest snd maybe the most beautiful I have ever seen.
One problem, I think it was new enough that it had surf assist and I think they said they were using it. We rode just in front snd to the side to see the wave and pocket and I'm sorry to say that my a20
Wave was bigger and longer, not to demean the wave but I think surf assist was the problem or the stock ballast is less than optimal and/or they weren't loading it cause of surf assist making decisions for them???

Last edited by granddaddy53; 10-09-2016 at 7:03 AM.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-09-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafly08 View Post
And what about the 24mxz? Which is better?

What other boats surf comparably well?

I'm trying to get a boat that will allow me to surf easily and allow me to grow. I want a large boat for my big crew.

Thanks!
Darkside on the TMC site is your 24mxz expert, maybe a 22, but he is the mxz expert. Join and ask him!! He'll lay it out real technical, and he believes the mxz to be superior. And bigger and more comfy bow for big crews, you just have to learn how to keep water from going over bow when weighted.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-09-2016, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
Saw My 1st se450 saltwater 24.5 and it was the biggest snd maybe the most beautiful I have ever seen.

One problem, I think it was new enough that it had surf assist and I think they said they were using it. We rode just in front snd to the side to see the wave and pocket and I'm sorry to say that my a20

Wave was bigger and longer, not to demean the wave but I think surf assist was the problem or the stock ballast is less than optimal and/or they weren't loading it cause of surf assist making decisions for them???

If weighted properly the surf wave is Epic really depends if they know what they are doing.

Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-09-2016, 7:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post

The Wedge does add more simulated weight and agreed is nice, you can always add more ballast or lead to accomplish the same thing.

Malibu Wakegate does add convergence, but it not adjustable it's either out or it's in. Nautique, Supra and others allows you to make adjustments
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-13-2016, 5:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfidaho View Post
My apologies for not being more specific The Malibu I rode had the Indmar 450 and the Supra had the Roushcharged Indmar 575. The wedge probably creates some difference too. The difference in handling is also notable between the two with the Supra feeling more nimble to me. Personally I could be very happy in either boat. Just thought I would mention it. In a full day on the water the Malibu had to refuel where the Supra did not. If I am not mistaken the Malibu also has a different trans ratio? like 1.76 compared to the Supra 1.5 so that may play a factor as well. So perhaps I only muddied the water here However, all the boats I mentioned did surf great on both sides. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
My bet would be that even though both boats have the same engine, the wedge creates much more drag than the plates that Supra is using, which corresponds to more fuel usage and RPM's.
Correct me is in wrong, but doesn't supra/moomba use ford engine blocks and Malibu/axis use Chevy blocks? Both marinised by indmar?

I've heard the ford motors are more efficient though. Which is hard to say because I'm a Chevy guy.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-13-2016, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHotz__21 View Post
Correct me is in wrong, but doesn't supra/moomba use ford engine blocks and Malibu/axis use Chevy blocks? Both marinised by indmar?

I've heard the ford motors are more efficient though. Which is hard to say because I'm a Chevy guy.
Malibu uses Ford 6.2L "Raptor" Engines, same as Supra. Axis still uses GM blocks.
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-13-2016, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Malibu uses Ford 6.2L "Raptor" Engines, same as Supra. Axis still uses GM blocks.
thanks for the clarification
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-13-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
Dave, it looks like that pic was taken with a fish eye lens.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-14-2016, 6:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewfo View Post
If weighted properly the surf wave is Epic really depends if they know what they are doing.

I guess more money than sense, and their comment was "just one button push", so I guess they don't even try to dial