Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone knows if the Fly High Rear Sac will fit well in the ski locker of a 2002 VLX. I see that Fly High makes the tube sac but hit holds less. When I measure the compartment it seems like the rear sac would fit but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to fill it up completely.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast/fly_high_rear_seat_sac_W705
Old     (beastmaster)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-24-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
I've got the same sac. And i have spent a lot of time in the same boat. It is way to big. Do you plan on taking out the rear tank's and installing sac's?
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-24-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
You might want to call your Malibu dealer & have them order you a replacement MLS sack for the front ski locker...I think it's 440 #'s and fits perfect. I think that bag would be way too big for the ski locker.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-25-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Chris, yeah I've taken out the hard tanks and replaced with sacs. I currently have the MLS sac in the ski locker but have some issues with leaking some where. Plus I thought if could get a bigger sac in there I might as well.

Thanks for the info Joe and Chris!
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
I,ve thought about taking my side hard tanks out of my 2004 vlx and replacing them with the fly high bags. It would be nice to be able to use all of the space in that locker without stacking bags. I also have a leak somewhere in the front of the mls bag. there is water in there every time i go out. If you guy's change out your bags let me know what works.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-26-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
I've got the Pro X Fat Sacs in the back of my '02 VLX. They fit very well. Plus, they're 750 lbs. each.

The only downside is that they sometimes pop out the engine side panels. I'll be fixing that this spring by reinforcing the panels so they don't flex. I'll get pics when I'm done.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Tuneman, how are you reinforcing the side-panels? I am putting my 750's in tonight on an 01 VLX. Couldn't you just slide some thick ply-wood in the channels that are on the side panels?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-26-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
I suppose you could, but then your boat wouldn't be wood free

I haven't put that much thought into it yet. I'm working on a second heater and custom racks right now. Let me know if you come up with a good solution.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
You're right...I'll have to use some kind of thick plastic or maybe some steel (hey, it'll add more weight)...I'm going to try out the new sacks on Fri and I'm sure i'll be at Lowes or Home Depot on Sat...

Do you know if the v-drive lockers are the same size on the '01 and '02 VLX? I'm just wondering how these things are going to fit in there.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-26-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
I had the same concern about the side panels. Definitely let me know what you decide to do.

Also what pumps are you using?
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
I am using aerator pumps to fill and drain. I have 2 Rule 2000gph to fill and 2 Rule 1100gph to drain. They work fine but the fill ones have to be primed to get started. Up front in the locker, I have the standard pumps for the MLS - Rule 1100's for fill and drain.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
I've also got Rule pumps for the rear and mid ballast. I think they're 1100's. I have attwood aerators for the front ballast, but the Rule pumps are much better in quality.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-27-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
I bought the Tsunami 1200 pumps but the 1 1/8" threads are impossible to find any fittings. I've been looking for some 3/4" hose barb or even 1" hose barb to fit on the 1 1/8" threads but no luck.

For the drain pump did you screw it directly in the bag or run a piece hose from the bag to the pump?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
My drain pumps are screwed directly into the bag. The rear ones sometimes don't prime because they are on top of the bag, but I'm changing that soon. My fill pumps never have a problem with priming since they are screwed directly to the bottom of the boat
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-27-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Phil, my drain pumps are screwed directly into the bag (front, bottom valve) using a fitting that allows me to disconnect it w/out having to disconnect the wiring or the hose. They prime themselves no problem just make sure that if you use an aerator pump on the bottom of the bag that your drain hose has a loop in it up high somewhere or the bag will empty out the drain line.
On the Tsunami pump, is the inlet or the outlet 1 1/8"? The Rules have a 1 1/8" outlet (barbed) that I put 1" vinyl braided hose. Just heat it up with a blowdryer and use some soap and it goes on nice and tight. It'll never leak
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Phil, Tuneman:

I finally got the boat out yesterday after installing the 750's. It was absolutely incredible how HUGE the wake was...I didn't have any problems with the side panels bulging into the engine compartment at all. I was able to fill them all the way...the doors would barely close
I'll posts some pics later on this afternoon. I used the flyhigh quick connects for the fill and drain lines and screwed the drain pump directly to the bottom of the bag with a quick connect I got from Lowes. Nothing leaked at all and all pumps self-primed...
I can't believe that I was able to fill them all the way. I have an 01 VLX and I thought the lockers would be too small.

So now it looks like I need the new ACME or OJ prop and an upgrade to PP WB Pro...I have the cruise and it's RPM based which sucks with all the weight in.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
Phil, back to your question. Yes it will fit, you just won't be able to fill it all the way, but it will still hold more than the tube sac.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
Phil, I might have a 'ghetto' solution for you as far as the adapters go...the Fly High adapters could solve your problem. P/N W734 has a 1 1/8" female thread to fit on the Tsunami pump w/ the other end being a male quick connect. You could then mate that with P/N W735 which is the female quick connect and a threaded 3/4" male. I've used the quick connects and they don't leak, and you'd have the added bonus of being able to remove your pumps quickly for maintenance or replacement. Good luck...I know how frustrating it can be trying to find all the right fittings for this stuff..