Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-15-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Hey I wanted to see if anyone could help me out? I have practiced all winter and throughout the summer, so I am getting ready to make my first trip to Havasu. It is mostly to wakeboard so I wanted to see if there is a preparation checklist? Here are some of my questions:
- What should I do to prepare the boat and trailer for the trip?
- What should I take extra (i.e. spare prop, tool bag, ect...)
- Is there somewhere to pick up groceries and gas before we get into Havasu?
- We are staying at the Nautical Inn, where should we look to ride?
- What kind of schedule should we ride on (how early in the morning or late in the afternoon)?
- Should I pull the boat out everyday or try and rent a slip? If I pull it out is there somewhere secure to park it around the Nautical?
- Do I have to worry about those mussels in the water? Should I do anything to prevent it?

Thanks again to anyone that could answer any or all of my questions. Also thanks for any additional information, I really appreciate the help.

Erik
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Extras - a spare prop would be a bonus, there are a lot of shallow areas - especially up river from Havasu.
Groceries - if you're coming from the south there's a Safeway on your right just as you get into town. If from the north, there's a Food City on your right before getting into town.
Early am is best anywhere as far as I'm concerned. We found a bay a couple of miles south of Copper Canyon on the Ca side - was ok, esp at night.
Nautical Inn have a ramp and loads of parking.
Mussels shouldn't cause a problem. Crabs and lice may, but take protection and you'll be fine
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Ha...nice Thanks for the help.
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Just got back from Havasu.. Dont forget to go to BJ's Cantina for women!!! and drinks after the lake.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Lots of sunscreen.

Stay hydrated. Alternate beers and water if you are drinking.

DON'T drink and drive the boat, they are on to that, be cool.

Gas and groceries can all be had in town.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Since you're not staying in a house, with a garage, you might consider renting a slip: http://www.lakehavasumarina.com/
I think you can book in advance sometimes. Other times you have to be there first thing in the morning or they're sold out.
I like having a house/garage because it's easier to launch/unlaunch the fully loaded boat each day than to pack/unpack all of your gear so it doesn't get stolen (see link in my profile for our house)

Personally, my 2 favorite riding spots are the longest of the multiple coves, across from the site 6 launch ramp (image 1 below), and the little, shallow, straight area towards the top of the lake (image 2), just before the sandbar. I haven't had any luck at all going south of copper canyon. It's always been choppy down there for me, even at the bouy line. I especially hate that cove just past the mobile homes... power-turn-city. I've heard that if you don't mind driving up river about an hour north, you can get clean water on the river up past Topock Gorge... and Topock is scenic enough that it makes the hour boat ride worth it. Just watch for the no-wake zone to start... kinda sneaks up on you.

The cops are on steriods out there. Follow the rules and don't get drunk our you'll end up spending the night in a brick jail cell with 40 other angry, drunk dudes and a single, exposed toilet... or so I've heard.

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by Monkey on July 16, 2008)
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Wow Tim, sounds like you've found out the hard way!
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
If you are staying at the Nautical Inn which is on the channel good spot! if you launch and get a spot early you can just anchor off the beach and not have to pull the boat out, just cart you gear down the boat.. Have fun
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       07-16-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
I second the be responsible comment. I spent the night in the jail and learned the hard way. I hate that place
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the help!

Tim do you happen to know where those two spots are in relation to the Nautical Inn?

Thanks Again
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Just in case you haven't booked yet - there are loads of houses available for rent and if you're in a group of 4 or more it'll probably be cheaper (and nicer) to rent a house than staying in a hotel.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
Its the time share part of the Nautical, so it has a kitchen and bedroom and we have two separate rooms for 7 people. Won't be as nice as a house but it is free, well considering we pay annual dues I guess not free, but you know.

Thanks
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-17-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Here, I modified the pictures with an X at the Nautical.

Upload
Upload
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Thats awesome, thanks alot Tim
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-17-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-17-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Hey Tim, are there bad shallow spots at the 'refuge' riding spot, or on the way to that spot? We're always worried about damaging a prop up there. Maybe I should looking into a lake depth iso map.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-17-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Ya, there are bad shallow spots up there for sure. Just like anywhere, check out the entire area before you ride, and make sure all drivers know the exact route to take. Also, if the water level is low, you may want to reconsider. A good rule of thumb is, if there's nobody else there, there's probably a reason why.

In fact, I have an old video somewhere of me wakeboarding up there, while my driver runs the entire boat up on a sandbar. Nobody was hurt, and the audio was hilarious... I'll have to find that video and post it sometime.

(Message edited by Monkey on July 17, 2008)
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Thanks, sounds like I should just stay away from the not so secret spot. $400 props, or repairing a drive shaft, don't sound worth it.