Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-16-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Glen, sorry for the delayed reply, damn work gets in the way........

Bear lake was good fun although more for boating and surfing than riding. Just like you said it was good in the morning until the wind and boats came out and then good late. Even when the wind was not up, it seemed pretty prone to rollers coming from boats that seemed like they where a long way away. I think I am officially a water snob........

Hopefully see you out on the lake this weekend
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-30-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
Shima, good seeing ya this morn! What was up with the crap weather and wind this morn? It was blowing from South, East, and West! Then it would sprinkle. It did clear up later on.

Round 2 tonight was good! The boys got some sets in with butter.

I'll be out with Taggart tomarrow morn on Willard.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-03-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
Hey Matt, was great seeing you as well! Yeah, it was a screwy morning (me and 2 of the riders didn't get to ride). Sorry for the late reply but was camping the past 3.5 days. Hope you had a great weekend and great to hear that Taggart is getting out with you (our schedules haven't been matching up).
Old     (Safado)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-26-2012, 11:28 PM Reply   
Don't know if I'm in the right place. I live in Davis County. I'm always looking for a tow. I'll pitch in for gas. I'm home during the week a lot if anyone needs a third. 15 years wakeboard experience.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-27-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
I can vouch for Safado. The dude can throw down! If you need a third, he's a great one to bring along.
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-30-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
Hey Greg was thinking of Thursday if the weather good.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-30-2012, 9:16 PM Reply   
Greg, welcome to the thread! Will contact you the next time I head out. FYI, my boat will be going into storage in about 2 weeks before I start traveling for work. I hope we can meet up before then.

Ben, did you try out the fins yet?
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-01-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan I havent had a chance yet, I went out Sunday and had the folks with me so I didn't ride. Wanted to get out Thursday but looks like its only gonna be 65 so we will see what happens.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-01-2012, 10:07 PM Reply   
65 isn't cold!!!! Your next investment needs to be a drysuit or a good full wetsuit )
Old     (Safado)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
I can do thursday. Thanks. my email is mpwakeboard@yahoo.com
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-04-2012, 4:53 AM Reply   
Moving out to PC this winter.... It is awesome that you are still riding this late in the season. Where can you ride this late still?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-04-2012, 7:01 PM Reply   
Northern UT just started the riding season since all the wally's are off the water. Latest we ever rode water 12/22 and damn it was cold. 32 air and 32 water!
Name:  Crazy.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  43.0 KB
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-15-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
Well, yesterday was the last day that my Supra will be out until next season. It was a fun year with lots of great sets and getting to meet several new people from WW in the Northern UT area.

And thanks for the pulls from Bog, David H, Dustin N, Scott B, Chase & Kent!

Already looking forward to next spring......until then, have a great winter everyone!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-15-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Shima - It was a great year and always good to see you and your family. Thanks for the pulls and pics this year.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-15-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
No prob Josh, always great to see and ride with you as well. Until next season!!!
Old     (CCWakerider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-16-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
Down for the ride....... I can't imagine riding at 32/32, that had to be freezing cold!! We are looking forward to riding the Utah lakes, and hope to meet most of you and your families in the Spring/Summer of 13. When do you expect that y'all get out in the spring?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-16-2012, 9:43 PM Reply   
Stephen, hopefully we can meet up to ride next year! It depends on the spring time weather. This year, we were able to get out pretty early because of minimal rain and warm temps, but the year before, we had a really wet spring.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-17-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Stephen ~ Ya it was cold as ****! I can say it was for the pics and I will never do it again. Our SLC crew we have pretty much get out if the lakes are not frozen. It was great to see 34 deg this morning and only though about my winter riding buddies. Session on!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-18-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
She officially went into hibernation today. Before and after pics......until next season!
Attached Images

Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       10-19-2012, 12:43 AM Reply   
A sad day till you unwrap her next spring. Thanks for all the pulls this summer! Always an awesome time.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-19-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Shima - What do you use for moisture under that bad boy. As you know its my first season with a boat going to winter and heard of nightmares when you unwrap the boat in the spring.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-19-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Rich, you're welcome and glad you became a part of the weekly crew. Stay in touch over the winter and hope you have a great season on the snow!

Josh, this will be my 3rd season shrink wrapping the boat and I haven't had any problems with moisture. However, before I take her in, I make sure I take the wet/dry vac and suck out any remaining water in the bilge area and carpet. This helps eliminate any types of moisture build up. Also, I always do a full cleaning on the boat when winterizing it. Fred's puts in a vent on both sides of the shrink wrap to allow air flow to come through, so I bet that helps out. On windy days, it will allow in some leaves and stuff but that just gets sucked out with the shop vac in the spring time.

Are you shrink wrapping or just using the storage cover?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-19-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Shima - I might have the hook up on a covered storage in Layton. What is the cost per foot to wrap the boat?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-19-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
I believe it was $11 a foot, over the tower. My total with tax was about $281. Best deal in the area that I can see.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-19-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
Also, let me know on the covered storage, would be interested if it's a public place in Layton. Is it just covered or fully indoor?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-20-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
It's a bro of a bro that has a heated airplane hanger... Nothing solid yet but VERY promising.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-20-2012, 10:37 PM Reply   
Daaaaayyyyum! He got room for 1 more boat?
Old     (Safado)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-21-2012, 11:00 PM Reply   
Ryan, Thanks a lot for the tow. The wake was sick. I wish I had hooked up with you guys earlier in the season. Maybe next year...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-22-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
You're welcome Greg, we should be able to hit it up next year for sure. Have a great winter!
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-24-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
Greetings Utah riders! Whats the water temp usually like around thanksgiving up there? I'll be heading up from AZ to celebrate with the inlaws and since I'm pretty sure there won't be snow I'd be up for some wakeboarding if possible. Do any of you ride regularly that late in the year?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-24-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
Spencer, depending on the weather, water temps can be in the high 40's to low 50's. My boat is put away for the season but maybe there will be 1-2 guys on here that will have their boat out into Nov at some point.
Old    dhorton            10-25-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Spencer my boat is usually still in operating mode at that time of the year, however I will likely be out of town visiting family that week. The water is crazy cold that time of year but we've had really good luck catching afternoon butter. Not sure of anyone else that will not have their boats put down for the winter nap. If I hear of anyone still riding I'll ask them to post to this thread.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-25-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorton View Post
Spencer my boat is usually still in operating mode at that time of the year, however I will likely be out of town visiting family that week. The water is crazy cold that time of year but we've had really good luck catching afternoon butter. Not sure of anyone else that will not have their boats put down for the winter nap. If I hear of anyone still riding I'll ask them to post to this thread.
I appreciate the responses. Keep me posted!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-25-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
My boat is officially down for the winter! Your sure as **** I will be trying to catch some rides from Mr. Horton in the ice water! Session on
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-01-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
Word Ryan. It was good having you up so much. Looking forward to next year home slice
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-02-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
Same to you Kent, look forward to next summer!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-12-2013, 8:16 PM Reply   
Just got my new ride for 2013 yesterday, can't wait to break her in!
Attached Images

Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-12-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan how you been? By chance we still gonna be able to demo some of obrien's nice new line up this summer? I lost your number with the new phone give me a shout. Safe travels to ya man.
Ben
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-12-2013, 11:05 PM Reply   
Hey Ben,
Nice to hear from you and hope you're doing well! I'm still working on some things for this summer so I'll let you know if it works out. However, since it's going to be Olympic year for me, I'm going to have a really busy summer period with my team. Do you have the same cell number? If so, I'll text you my number again. Keep in touch!
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-13-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
do you hear that sound.. its the ice melting... almost time...
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-13-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
I know what you mean. I've found my self surfing these forums much more often lately.
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-13-2013, 2:20 PM Reply   
figure any minute shima ^^^ will be chiming in... he has to be itching to get out.... lol was up on willard walking around on the ice two weeks ago south marina.. going to drive up see how much more time before she is open enough to ride on.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-13-2013, 8:23 PM Reply   
Willard is starting to break, Ive been watching it happen since yesterday. Its amazing how fast it can happen. Give it a week or two and we'll be on it
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2013, 7:00 AM Reply   
amazing matt how much colder this winter was... my first ride last year.. march 10th! cold as hell but still ice was gone by then..
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-14-2013, 6:27 PM Reply   
Winter Crew is ready to UNITE!
Old    dhorton            03-15-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
I heard someone was getting out yesterday... not sure if its true or not.
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-15-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
ahaha.. do they have an ice breaker??
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-15-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
yo josh... what's the 411 on the boat being for sale after one season? new ride on its way.. or already here?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-15-2013, 3:38 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I'm still in Europe until the end of the month. Not sure when I'll be getting the boat out of it's winter hibernation since my spring meetings schedule for work are so FUBAR'd right now. Can't wait to meet up with you all again soon!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-15-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Glen ~ Just freeing up some cash flow for future awesome. Just had a couple come look at it today but didn't bite yet "F!" Last thing I want to do is sell the boat that I ordered exactly how I wanted but **** happens...
Old     (deltaRyder)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-16-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
Good to see I'm not the only only one chomping at the bit to get back on the water. I changed my email cuz it was sending out spam mail without my knowledge. I switched jobs so I only have to work twice a week at the fire department now. less money but more free time. keep me in mind when it warms up. Thanks-Greg
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-17-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
Update: Decided that the Middleton MB is staying! So stoked and the winter crew should be riding here within the next week or so... Session on!
Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-17-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
I will join in on those that cant wait to get back out on the water..... got a new board for xmas (after snapping my last one, last ride last year), just order two 600 pound bags from wake makers for the back lockers of the boat (got sick of towing lead all round the country side and moving bags to go surfing)... bring it on.....
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-18-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
well made the trek up to check out willard ... would guess by next weekend it will be clear of any ice.. ... just slush for the most part. But was cool to hear it breaking up in distance.
out of the south marina, maybe 1/4 mile open in length by 300-400 yards wide. but they have the gates closed still. north marina is only part not forzen right out of the opening still slush and frozen.

only downside I see.. they need to stop letting out the back.. and let it fill.. still as low if not lower then late fall.

Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-20-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
Come on up to Logan. Cutler is ready
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-20-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
It's breaking more and more now the kicker for north marina...is it closed cause of that chevron spill? I know they closed the campground.

Pulled the boat put of storage and gave a good buffing and wax. Also started on cleaning the alum wheels....PITA.

Josh good to hear your keeping her!

I fly out tonight, hopefully I'm getting wet in 2 weeks when I get back
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       03-27-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
ATTENTION:
The North Marina is closed until further notice.

Restrooms, launch ramp and day-use areas are open at the South Marina. Boaters are restricted to the southern half of the reservoir until diesel spill cleanup is completed. Camping is available with 24 full hook-up sites, but no tents. Take exit #351.

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/parks/willard-bay

Last edited by gcombe; 03-27-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add url
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       04-02-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
marina is open.. but we need more water... only about 4.5 feet deep at the dock... and 19 was the deepest i saw on the north dike... but was good sunday.. maybe 5 boats out... perfect conditions.. just a bit cold. water was 56 degrees.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-02-2013, 5:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the updates Glen! If the water is really 56 degree's, that's not bad at all.

Did you notice anything in the water quality after the clean up?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-04-2013, 6:20 PM Reply   
Did my first Willard session today on Rob C's Centurion. Water temp on the south end was 48-52F. The Ranger said the North marina is still closed and to avoid the North end while they're still cleaning up the spill. Water level looked about the same as when we finished last year, but we certainly need some water. Hopefully the runoff will start this month.
Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-05-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
Hey guys, Dayle (my wife) wants to get a new board, she is probably in the beginner category, any advice on a good board and bindings.

Ryan how was the first ride on the new board.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-06-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
Hey Scott,
My wife has been on the Obrien Skyla (Dallas Friday's pro model) for the past 3 seasons and loves it. It's very user friendly, but can be as aggressive as the rider makes it. Some times, the bindings need a few sets to break in but the good thing is that Obrien follow's normal street shoe size, so it makes it easier to determine an accurate fit.

The board rides great Scott. It's the 3rd season I've ridden on the Format and it's great as ever. The new feature that Obrien has on boards this season is that they added a built in mounting hole on the front of the board to secure a GoPro type camera. So you don't have to rely on the suction cup mount which I've seen break off during a really bad crash.

When are you planning to summarize your boat, Scott?
Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-06-2013, 7:02 PM Reply   
Cheers for that, will take Dayle to have a look.

I was hoping to get it done this week, but looks like I am off to London for work this Friday for a week, so will probably get it done the week of the 22nd and go out on Sunday 28th. Have fixed the board racks, spent two hours today plumbing in some new bags so should be all set.

How about you, when is the Supra hitting the water.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-06-2013, 10:22 PM Reply   
Not sure yet, want to make sure the overnight temps stay consistently above 40F. And there's snow in the forecast again this week. So maybe the 3rd or 4th week of April, just to be safe, and the weather is suppose to be crappy for the next 10 days or so.

Have a safe trip to London and hit me up when you get back into town.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-26-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
They finally found and salvaged the sunken boat at Willard from last year's Memorial Weekend. It was a Colbalt, found about 2/3's from the South marina, almost directly in the middle of the lake. The salvage guy said it was just below the water so it's a good thing that they were able to find it so no one hit it.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-26-2013, 10:22 PM Reply   
Ryan, was that with the family that was floating in the water for 4-6 hours with the family pooch?

Surprised they hadnt found that earlier.

I hope your enjoying some nice weather cause this arctic stuff sucks LOL On the bright side, its warming up and I only have 1 more week

Hows the clean up coming along on the north end? When I was campin at the south campground it was lookin like the it was down 10' (2 weeks ago). Are they beginning to fill Willard? How shallow is that south Ramp and channel?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-27-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
Matt, yes, same boat. I tried posting a picture of the boat on the ramp and the salvage guys cleaning it out but for some reason, it's taking forever on this site to load.

The water seems normal, but I can't get close enough to the buoyed off area to really know how the clean up is going. The rangers keeping telling us to avoid that area. We were riding the north wall the last 2 days and the water seems clearer than on the south end (more brownish). Water level is still low but I think they are going to start letting in water really soon, if they haven't already because the channel where the water comes in is completely full now. South ramp is anywhere from 3-6 feet but the channel is 8-12 ft, so it's fine for launching.

Enjoy your last week up in the great white north, the weather is starting to get mild down here!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-27-2013, 9:11 PM Reply   
Im tired of snow and cold This hitch cant end fast enough, Ive got some serious spring fever. Brian @ Freds has my new kids surf board ready for me to pick up on the way home from the airport, I dont know whos more excited...the kids or me LOL
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-27-2013, 10:13 PM Reply   
Haha, I bet the kids are more than you!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-29-2013, 10:41 AM Reply   
Sunken Colbalt from last Memorial weekend at Willard is now salvaged and not a danger anymore.
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-29-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Man I can't wait for the run off to come down and fill some lakes! UT is decent with depth and the water was at 58 on Sunday. Heater shirt and others were in a spring suit. Looks like the next set out should be in trunks. I guess it's time to wake up the Middleton MB!
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       05-04-2013, 4:12 PM Reply   
Went on the Jordanelle today with my buddy on his Supra. Holy ***** is it low, it's the lowest I've ever seen it in the 10+ years I've been riding The Jordanelle. Let's hope the reservoirs fill up soon!

Last edited by parkcityxj; 05-04-2013 at 4:14 PM.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-04-2013, 9:49 PM Reply   
Wow Jay, that is low. Looks like a loooong walk from the parking lot to the dock, haha! What's the water temps at Jordanelle?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-05-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
Good hell that is crazy low. Thanks for the update Jay. I went to UT Lake yesterday and was surprised we found a lot of 10' deep water. Water was reading 61 deg and my boy didn't have a problem trunking it.
Old     (deltaRyder)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-14-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
If anyone is heading to pineview or willard and has room, let me know. I've been riding for 17 years but never had the money for a boat. Thanks a lot-Greg Murray celtics17@live.com
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       05-15-2013, 2:59 PM Reply   
not looking good water wise any place... but bad news shima... they are going to take that boat back out and sink it... "training" vessel... go figure... after the motor and hardware are removed
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-15-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
Glen, really???? So they're going to use that boat "shell" to use as a training tool to teach people how to salvage? That's freaking smart!!!!

Greg, will contact you once I'm back on my steady work/wakeboard schedule.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-21-2013, 10:49 PM Reply   
Warning for those launching at Willard Bay's South marina (North is still closed) - water level is extremely low at the docks and I hit my prop when I was dropping my wife off to get the trailer and my boat was on the OUTSIDE of the dock.

I called the park to request the docks be extended out but they called me back saying the DNR is not extending them out deeper in the water because they are as far out as they can go. Really????? WTF??? I thought this docks are mobile!

Anyways, got my prop repaired at A-Rock propellers. Took it in yesterday afternoon and got it back today. One day turnaround - amazing! The repair job looks good so I hope it's just as good as new.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-22-2013, 8:34 PM Reply   
Damn Shima that really sucks but kick ass for a turn around time this time of the season. Time to nose in and out like a pro, LOL...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-22-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
Haha, I'll do it but it's under duress!