Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/street-outlaws

My new favorite show is Street outlaws. If you haven't caught the show or don't know what it's about I'll give you my review of what's going on

The reality based show is out of Oklahoma. The show Chronicles a group of outlaw drag street racers that are jockeying for position on a "top 10 list" Racers prep cars all week and after hrs spending Thousands of dollars trying to gain that slight advantage that can either get them on the top 10 list or have them climb up the list. It seems that talking smack go's hand in hand with drag racing so people looking for drama can get some enjoyment from that but the others that just enjoy the sound and sight of 2000 + Hp street cars launch and try and make it down the road is enough for me. As with any reality show they have good guys and bad guys. So I find my self rooting for one guy & cursing the others.

I got most of my buddys hooked on the show & we talk about the show from time to time. What we have all come up on and can agrees that, when the racers take their cars out to "Test" it's serious Outlaw action. The road is not closed and they are running at their own risk.
On the Race nights we all think the show some how gets a permit to close off the road and people can race with out fear of the cops. The show would have you believe that the Friday Night grudge matches are still outlaw events and they can all be busted but I'm not buying it.

Like all reality shows they can out live their welcome but IMO this years show is the best it's been and it's getting better. It might get old soon but for now I look forward to Monday night show's
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-16-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
Love it but I don't consider a car with a full roll cage and wheelie bars out the back a street car though. If you look in the back ground on the race night you can usually see the cops lights off in the distance blocking off traffic.

Still one of my favorite shows though.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-16-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
I watch the show too because I used to do the same thing a while ago. When they're out making test hits you can tell it's not a closed road and are taking a risk, but on race night it's definitely a closed road.

Some may says it's staged and not a real reality show, but I can say from running on a drag strip and on the street it's as real as it gets. It's hard to get 1000+ HP cars down an unprepared street and not kill themselves. You can test on a track all day, but like they say getting it down a street is a whole other ball game. Just watching the last show when they came to California, they were all able to make it down with no problems, where every single cali guy got loose and lost the race.

I'll say the thing I hate about the show is the fake sounds of cars they dub over the actual cars during the race, they make some even sound like street bikes.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-16-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
Did y'all see the episode where they were running that ridiculously soup'd up VW Beetle, that they purposely painted to look like a beater. That was pretty awesome. smoked an older Porche, a Lambo, and then a Nissan GT-R.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-16-2014, 3:31 PM Reply   
Loved the VW smoking the supercars and GT-R. Gotta be embarrassing for those guys losing big to a $10K Type 1 VW bug.
From what I have read, everything is staged except the actual races.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-16-2014, 3:42 PM Reply   
Those guys had to be a little embarrassed, but that bug is FAR from a 10k car.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
Hey Darrell where did you read that. I'm not doubting you I just wanted to see what else they were saying. I think the first season of street outlaws was kind of lame because you would see the guys talking about how fast their cars were and he really didn't have anything to compare it to. But this year how they ready much mopped up the guys from Texas. And a few weeks ago when the drag week guys came through Oklahoma they got pretty beat up. And then this week they absolutely destroyed the guys from California tells me that these guys are pretty legit. I thought the guys from California were not a good representation of the street racing because none of their cars looked or performed very professional.

I think this show and with its TV coverage is going to bring track racers off the truck and into the streets for the same TV offers. So we might see a whole new breed of real fast track racers that convert to the street
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2014, 3:52 PM Reply   
I could do without the farm truck and the sideshow antics. The fact that The farm truck has he calls a "barker" aka professional smack talker the Azn guy is stupid IMO
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-16-2014, 4:16 PM Reply   
Im a VW guy so I got a big kick out of it Its about a $10K motor, 2332 turbo motor.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...er=asc&start=0
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
Yes The Turbo Bug was pretty cool love old VW's myself. The Turbo Bug Monster Garage did was pretty bad a$$. It would be cool to see a Fast VW line up against the SO guy's
Attached Images

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-16-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
Looks bad azz... Thanks for the heads up...
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2014, 7:01 AM Reply   
Yhea we like it to. Actually met farm truck and AZN at SEMA this year. Seem like good guys. I used to race pretty hard core on the street, but nothing like these guys. To me street racing is under 1000 HP and something you could drive on the street, but that's just me. I like them racing other cities, just not sure how staged it is. The California one looked staged.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-17-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
I'm a fan of the show, not of the antics. The guys build some fast cars, no doubt about it and its cool to see them putting in the wrench time and test hits.

I get that some people's perception of what a fast street car is, is going to be different than others. To me if it's street legal, that's all that counts. It doesn't have to be a daily driver, but I think it should be driven to the race. If you think having a full roll cage, wheelie bars, and 1000+hp disqualifies you as a street car, here's something you might like.

1000 miles, 4 tracks, 5 days, and five 6 second passes.

I know the passes are on prepped tracks, but to get ANY car to consistently run in the 6's is impressive... let alone one that pulls a trailer to the track, not rides in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQxXT0BpB4
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-17-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
^^^ I can't believe it pulls it's own trailer to the track. That is impressive
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-19-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
Pretty staged show all together but it's entertaining at the end of the day. Check out yellowbullet.com it's fairly well discussed how it's staged including the races. They do have a huge advantage in the street racing world as they are all big tire cars. The hottest trend and fastest growing drag racing is the 275x class which has no chance on the street vs big tire.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
I was talking with another w/w member who lives in OK and he said that standing Drag race seen is not nearly as active or popular as the Rolling Start (60MPH) street racers. He said that when you don't have to build your car to LAUNCH from
A dead stop the cars are much more "streetable" these are cars that don't get driven on a trailer to the race. Plus it opens up the possibilitys of diffrent makes and match ups when you remove the Launch and 60 foot time out of the race. Many of the races on street outlaws are over after the 60foot mark.

I wonder if the TV coverage that street outlaws is bringing to the sport if it will bring normally legit drag racers off the track and to the street
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-20-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
We always did 20 punches, if we were going from a roll. 1st gear about 2500-3000 RPMs