Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old                01-07-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
I'm have a used 2003 SANTE 210 with two batteries and I need to figure out if they are hooked together in series or parallel.

One Battery is located in the bow & one to the rear. I believe the rear battery runs the boat (starter, pumps, etc) and the bow battery is primarily used by a set of after market stereo amplifiers, but I'm not positive.

There is two large turn knob (on / off) battery switches under the helm. I believe there is one switch for each battery. Everything in the boat will work as long as one switch is left on. I noticed the alternator will keep both batteries charged without a problem.

Is there a way to visually check to figure this out. I'm looking for a charger and I dont know what type I need. Thanks!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-07-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
I believe they are basically setup in parallel when both switches are on and the battery disconnect switches act like a manual isolator. I would find a 20 amp dual bank charger. When charging just turn both or just one of the battery disconnect switches off. This will charge the 2 batteries independently of each other. When you are sitting with the engine off does the stereo still work if you have the switch for the front battery off? If so I would make sure you have that switch off while sitting partying. Then start the boat with just the back battery in the on position. Once started switch the front battery to on so it is getting charged by the alternator. You basically have the same thing as a perko 1/2/both/off swtich but are using 2 separate switches. It is important to know that you never want to turn both off while the boat is running or you can blow the diodes in your alternator. Especially if you are drawing a lot of amps with the stereo, lights, heater, etc...
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-07-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
They will definetely NOT be in series if one of them is the factory installed starting battery as this would create a 24V system. If they are at some point connected through the switches, they will be parallel.
Old                01-08-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
It sounds like they are run in parallel because I know its a 12V system. The place I'm purchasing my charger from says I only need a single bank charger to charge both batteries if they are run in parallel. So I can hook up a charger to one battery to charge both? That doesnt sound right.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-08-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Yes, as long as both battery switches are in the on position.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-08-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
I'd go with a 2-bank that is designed to maintain a starting and recharge a deep independently, then no worries messing with switch. $.02