Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-07-2013, 6:33 PM Reply   
I have a 25 minute ride to the lake each way up and down some pretty serious hills and my armada does just fine but sometimes I wish I had more torque pulling the 5000lbs of fun. Anyone out there running the stillen supercharger on the Nissan or the TRD kit on a sequoia? Any other options with full size SUVs making serious power that is still reliable. I can't do a truck anymore, too many kids!
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-07-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
Diesel excursion if you can find a nice one?

I'm the mountains. Pulls great compared to anything gas. Pulling with an f150, explorer, Titan, would all average around 7mpg for me. Excursion is 12-14 and isn't on the verge of blowing the engine the entire time.

I hope to keep one for the rest of my life.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Maybe an old Excursion with a 7.3L Powerstroke Just so you know, this thread will quickly become a heated discussion about diesel vs. gas....

I just dont see adding a supercharger being a huge gain in the reliability department.... but hey, what do i know.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2013, 7:16 PM Reply   
Max beat me to it!!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-07-2013, 8:09 PM Reply   
Those 7.3L Excursions are beasts. Bulletproof and will pull your house down the interstate. Just hard to find.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2013, 11:19 PM Reply   
Had an 01 Denali with the 6.0. That thing was awesome for towing in tough hills or anywhere. Hate to say it but you might need to go American to get the torque you need now.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2013, 11:22 PM Reply   
Wait... "Hate to say it"? Did I just say that? Shouldn't we be proud to say it?
Old    kx250frider617            07-07-2013, 11:36 PM Reply   
DURABURB!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrcWt6sZgpQ
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2013, 11:58 PM Reply   
^^^ we have a winner. ^^^ Hope cost is no object though.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-08-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
I just traded a qx56 for an 01 7.3L excursion. Night and day in the towing department.
Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
What is a reasonably acceptable mileage number for the Excursions? Most I see online have really high miles. Also, what is the biggest advantage of the bigger diesel motor over the newer one?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-08-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
6.0L diesel had some durability issues, all of which CAN be overcome, with $$$.

My 7.3 has 163k on the clock (the 06 QX had 83k). It's a "truck" and drives like one. Drive some. If they are well cared for they stay nice for a long time. Many people quit maintaining them as they age, though, and that will show. I drove 8 different excursions over the course of a year before I found the right one. And I knew immediately it was the right one when I found it (one owner, well maintained, mom-driven, super super clean).
Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
What years had the 7.3?
Old    kx250frider617            07-08-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
99-early 03 had 7.3. The only negative about the 7.3 is the 4 speed transmission that usually go out around 100k. If you live on the west coast, John Woods transmission will make them bullet proof and on the east coast, suncoast transmissions. As far as turners go, DP tuner is one of the most popular. I highly recommend a turner. Our f350 is a DOG on stock settings, but on 80 Econ mode it hauls ass like no other. They even have a 120 race setting. However, if you go with a high power tuner, get an EGT gauge at least. If your from CA, we do have to smog diesels now but its mostly a visual smoke test.

A truck with 150k is pretty much just broken in as far as engine goes. Don't mind higher mileage engines, just make sure the truck itself is still in good shape.

Also, look on youtube about POWERSTROKEHELP.com. that guy has some pretty useful info. Some say he is a kook but his video are pretty entertaining.

A few good ugrades for the 7.3:
4" exhaust from down pipe back
warn hubs (if 4x4)
Gauges
DP tuner

FYI: Im pretty sure alot of 7.3 excursion came factory with a CAT and CA requires one if it came factory. Make sure it has one, if not deduct it from the price. If the hood sticker says NON-CATALYST then your all good. ***only if in CA***

If you get a 6.0 powerstroke, just google, bullet proof my 6.0 or something along those lines and you'll get all the info about that. Includes: head studs, egr cooler, coolant filter etc.

Both motors are super popular and people have done tons and tons of research and red neck mechanics on them so Forums are very helpful.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2013, 1:19 PM Reply   
Dealer in Spearfish, SD has this sweet ride for ONLY $90, 450! LOL!
http://www.queencitymotors.com/Vehic...-SD/1875317703

It does have 700HP though so that might tow your boat!
http://slpcars.com/?page_id=1369
Old     (Camsquared211)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-08-2013, 8:42 PM Reply   
I bulletproofed my 6.0 excursion. It runs perfect. I like it better than the 7.3 after the changes were made. We swapped out the egr and put in new head bolts.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-08-2013, 9:56 PM Reply   
My 2007 Avalanche with an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger. Tows great, dropped from 14mpg to 13mpg without the boat. Drinks it very fast when the boat is in tow...
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
looks like everyone has you covered... but, 7.3 excursion was from 99-2003. If you find one that has been maintained, go for it. "High milage" is a relative term with diesels....they are not like gassers... The 7.3L powerstroke doesnt even get broken in untill 100-130k miles.

get yourself a nice tuner (DP Tuner or Tony Wildman Tuner), a nice set of gauges (EGT, Boost, Tranny Temp), an exhaust (no CAT, muffler if you want ) and an intake.

The 7.3L has a few problems that are really small and fairly easy to fix when compared to the 6.0L. My truck is at 160K miles and I am planning on putting in Bellowed up Pipes $400 (old ones are leaking, common problem on the 7.3L) and then I am replacing my turbo pedestal $100 to delete my exhaust back pressure valve (a pointless component that gets gunked up with soot, sticks open, and leaks boost) .

The 6.0L is a viable option if you are willing to put head studs in it, EGR delete, and put in a fixed geometry turbo.. but that is gonna cost more than the 7.3L...
Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
What is the average HP/TQ for the 7.3? Is it that much different than the 6.0?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctarmor View Post
What is the average HP/TQ for the 7.3? Is it that much different than the 6.0?
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.html
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/60psd.html

6.0 is more powerful stock, but if you plan to do ANYTHING to the motor you pretty much have to do head studs....the stock studs will stretch. One you've done studs, EGR delete, and fixed geom turbo, the truck is solid.

But the 7.3 will be reliable and last forever.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-10-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
When running a supercharger and towing you should really stay out of te boost. It's going to put excessive wear on the motor and trans. Unless you bulletproof those two you may blow things apart
Old     (JohnP)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-11-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Have you thought of changing the rear gears ?