Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-11-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
This turned out really long, so here's the Cliff Notes version: I bought new Transcend from Buywake, it came with chipped tips and a big stain. I called that day, they took a month to finally take it back and look at it. Now they're doing nothing. Don't purchase from Buywake, ever.

Ok, Here's what happened. I purchased a 2008 Transcend Platinum 142 from Buywake.com on August 1st. This board was on sale at the time, priced at ~ $380. When the board arrived on August 11th, it had chips missing on both the nose and tail tip edges. There was also a 15 to 18 inch yellow stain, about 1 inch wide, running from the tail tip towards where the back boot would sit. I immediately called Buywake and told them of my issue. I was told that because it was likely a warranty issue, because it wasn't due to shipping damage (the box was undamaged and unpunctured), and because it was purchased on sale, I could not return the board. My only choice was to pursue replacement under warranty. I was instructed to email pictures of the board to Buywake which I did that very afternoon. I was also told to go ahead and ride the board as long as I didn't worsen the stain and/or chips.

I didn't hear from anyone and so over the next two weeks I emailed twice more. The first was unanswered, the second was met with a response that a employee had quit and deleted the inbox, and that they just had received my email. For the next two weeks or so, I sent numerous pictures for their review. Finally, I was given a warranty return number and told to send it back, at my cost. Today they received my board and told me that it would not be covered. They said the chips off the tail and the stain were probably just from daily use, even though they have pictures of it the minute it came out of the box showing these defects. In addition, when pulling my boots off, I found the beginnings of a pulled insert. One screw hole was raised and the top glass was obviously being forced up by the insert. Buywake said this was not covered either and to ride until the insert actually gave out. My board is now being shipped back as is. While no mention of cost has been made today, when I sent it in I was told if it wasn't replaced it'd be sent back at my cost.

Buywake didn't take into consideration that they're employee screwed up and wouldn't me return it. They didn't take into consideration that they likely had a future pulled insert on their hands and moved to take preventative action. They didn't take into consideration that a college student had paid nearly $400 for a top of the line wakeboard only to have it arrive chipped and stained and in subpar condition. They didn't take into consideration that they had me spend another $50 or more in shipping just to have them reject it. They simply looked and saw they didn't HAVE TO do anything, so they didn't.

My crew and I have two CWB Marius foams, a CWB Marius platty, two Transcend foams, and the Transcend platty I purchsed. This doesn't include the CWB Sol, CWB Hood, and two CWB Tattoos that we have as beginner/guest boards. Obviously, we love Cdub products. However, I will never purchase anything from Buywake again. I'm writing this post simply to educate and save the general wake community the heartache I've gone through. Buy from a local shop, buy from eBay, buy from whomever, just don't buy from Buywake.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-11-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
sucks to hear man, glad I only ordered fins from em....
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-11-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
That is why I use Grizzly sports. Heck they will beat buywakes prices anyway. These guys are top notch and they have exchanged damaged goods themselves for me instead of having to go through the companies.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
contact CWB
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-11-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Total BS. Call them everyday until the matter is resolved.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-11-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
That stinks, I was about to buy a vest from them, Call CWB warrenty/rider support maybe they can help, at least they'll know about Buy Wake's customer service.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
Support your local board shop.
Old    K.B.C.            09-11-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
bummer, not the first time I've heard that on here about them. I definitely won't be doing any shopping there. I think it's always best to buy boards from local shops if possible. That way you see what you are getting and if you have a warranty issue usually nothing needs to be shipped. Good luck, as someone already said you should contact CWB
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-11-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
ouch!
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-11-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Seems like bad experiences with Buywake are posted up here more and more often... I know I've had (and posted) one!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-11-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
Local shops are usually your best bet. If it is an item that needs to be replaced, I just hand them a new one & I take care of sending it back that way there is no "down time" or hassle for the customer.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-11-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
BeyondWatersports, Evogear, Grizzly, Boardersmall...they've all been great to work with and I recommend all of them. All buywake ever does for me is fill my inbox with their special 'sales' that promise I will save $3.17 if I 'Buy Today!' Sorry about your experience, CWB will take care of you, especially with the insert issue.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-11-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
Been there, done that: We had a L/F handle that started peeling with in 2 months of service. Called, emailed 2 or 3 of there people, sent pictures twice, and got NOWHERE with them.

Called Liquid Force, the guy I talked to gave me his email and asked to send a pic and be sure to include my shipping address. Had new handle in 3 days, simple. We continue to buy L/F's products, but not from BuyWake.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-11-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
I have had nothing but great experiences with Evogear, Grizzly, and Boardersmall also. Thanks for the warning about buywake. Sorry for your troubles though.
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       09-11-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
local, local, local. support your community and don't save 20 bucks to kill the place you live.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-11-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
i bought a board from them about 5 years ago, and they were super friendly and helpful.

I emailed them just over a week ago to get a shipping quote (I'm international), and they've just ignored me so far. Sent a follow up email yesterday and still no reply. obviously not a big enough sale for them to bother getting back to me.

no doubt that their service has gone downhill... i won't be bothering again.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-11-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Thats sucks I would go local if you can see it before you buy.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-11-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
Thats sucks I would go local if you can see it before you buy.
Old     (wayniac)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Contact CWB customer service, they may be a little slow as they were with me (just a couple of days to a week) However they have gone above and beyond the call of duty and shipped me a replacement part EXTRA!!! Just in case I had that same problem again... Never had that happen with any company other than Gator, Contact them directly!!!!
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-12-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
Good to know. Being in Canada, our prices are ridiculously higher, not to mention most shops around me are no longer carrying gear cause it's so much cheaper from the US shops and we can get just about anything, not just what they bring into the shop.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-12-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
buywake always hooks me up
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-12-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
I have a further update, but I don't have time to write the details out now. Rest assured though, I'm not going to just write a bash post and run. Buywake is taking further steps after being notified of my post, and I'll let everyone here know what happens/is happening when the time allows.
Old     (cooper)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-12-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
what vlx envy said: Support your local shop, you'll never go wrong
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-12-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Contact Amanda or Mike at CWB warranty dept. The phone number is on the site. explain your problems and they will hook it up and im sure have a chat with buywake.com.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Lots of people complain about them... And the strangest thing, is that there is nobody defending them that says they have had a good experience
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
That's why i'll only deal with Wakeside, i also had a bad Buywake experience. I bought a '08 CWB Sapphire for my wife from Wakeside and it arrived with a delam and not from shipping. I called WAkeside and not only did they take it back, they paid the shipping and they sent me a replacement before they got the other back!
Old     (claw)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-12-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Steve - O, I've had good experiences with Ambush/Buywake since 97' when they opened their first shop.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
This very reason is why I buy EVERYTHING on credit card. IMHO when it arrived in that condition I would have sent it back and if they did not send a replacement simply dispute the charges.

Thanks for the heads up though. Sucks you had to go public to get any resolution out of the matter.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-12-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
So true, for an online/Local Oregon Shop, Wakeside is awesome. The crew/staff is great, they know how to treat their customers right. Products and prices are great, especially the demo/blem section. Again They're totally professional when buying or returning due to problems...
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-12-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
sucks man always buy from activewake.com (active watersports) they back up all their product. you should never have to deal directly with the manufacturer, if you buy from a legit shop.
Old     (ezekiel700)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-20-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP....you would never have had to even start this post.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-20-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
Performance in Orlando has to be the best wakeboard shop in the country. In terms of service it is probably the best shop I have been to in any category.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-20-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
I have had to learn this lesson before as well, but don't accept damaged merchindice or send it back immediately and notify the credit card to cancil payment. as soon as you accept the product, you accept the problem. Don't accept their problem.

I live 4 hours away from any board shop and I have to depend on shipping
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
Some of us do not have a local board shop!

I had a similar situation with buywake but with chips on the molded fins. They would not take it back, so I called CWB. Amanda took care of me I had my board within a week. I agree with Chris order from Performance, they have always been good to me.
Old     (lunchb0x)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-20-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Mistakes are bound to happen but there is no excuse as to why they can not resolve the issue in a timely manner.
Old    sealyon.net            09-20-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
support your local pro-shop they are more willing to help you out.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP!!!!!
Old     (timmylikewake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
suprised buywake hasnt chimed in on this
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
I only buy from performance, been buying from them for about 10 years now and their customer service has been nothing short of amazing. If there is ever a problem, Bill Porter (owner) is the first to handle it. It never gets pushed through the ranks and tossed to the side.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
Grizzly! Grizzly! Grizzly! Superb customer service and best prices ever!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
I have purchased things from them and have never had a problem. Once they threw in a cool tank top. No problem with returns either. Maybe there are new employees but, nonetheless, the economy doesn't afford a company to have bad manners and poor cust. serv.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-20-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
New employees or not, that is a JOKE! I've been in sales for quite awhile, and in terms of replacing a stained/chipped WB, EASY. F' Buywake, and F' Windsor Wake.

And the fact that Buywake hasn't posted on here is more proof for Bobby that they could give two S@its about the people that give them business. Blaming the customer is one thing, but blaming YOUR OWN EMPLOYEE is a whole different bag than blaming your companies "I SUCK AT LIFE'NESS" attitude...