Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
What do wakeboarders wear when they ride?

Are wakeboarders disappointed with current designs/functionality of available apparel?
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-07-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
I wear a basketball jersey over my vest. GF got it for me for my birthday.

#00 w/ AXISWAKE as the last name on then back.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
It's hard to be disappointed when all you need is boardshorts and they're plentiful in retail stores and online. Some people wear a T-shirt while they ride. Maybe a better material for that would be nice?
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
Ive noticed the tshirt or tank over the vest, why is that? is it just a fad?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-07-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
Only super "bro" wakeboarders are allowed to wear a t shirt over their vest. That means you can jump toeside.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
in the dead of summer in the south when the sun is beating down on your skin for 8 hours a day, being shirtless gets old. I HATE getting sun burned. The vest doesn't cover any of the neck, shoulders, arms, etc...
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
in the dead of summer in the south when the sun is beating down on your skin for 8 hours a day, being shirtless gets old. I HATE getting sun burned. The vest doesn't cover any of the neck, shoulders, arms, etc...
I guess common sense should've kicked in on my end lol that makes sense though! Let me ask you this, what attracts wakeboarders to the boardshorts? is it the designs, how they fit, a fad, or what?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-07-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatoni View Post
I guess common sense should've kicked in on my end lol that makes sense though! Let me ask you this, what attracts wakeboarders to the boardshorts? is it the designs, how they fit, a fad, or what?
You're probably overthinking the board shorts a little bit. Requirements for most wakeboarders are the following:

1. Designed for water
2. Look cool

Picky wakeboarders also add the following requirement:

3. Material that stretches for mobility (aka 4-way stretch)
4. Lightweight

In terms of other design elements, some people like baggy shorts, some people like a more form fitting short. Mostly just personal preference.

To be honest, the board short market is saturated. I highly doubt that anyone can compete with Hurley, O'neill, etc...

Last edited by boardjnky4; 01-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-07-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'm a fan of the Hurley board shorts.. Wearing a green pair of Hurley ones w/ 2013 liquid force green side zip wake vest.. W/ my green 2012 slingshot wakeboard!!

If you ain't matching you ain't looking the part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
You're probably overthinking the board shorts a little bit. Requirements for most wakeboarders are the following:

1. Designed for water
2. Look cool

Picky wakeboarders also add the following requirement:

3. Material that stretches for mobility (aka 4-way stretch)
4. Lightweight

In terms of other design elements, some people like baggy shorts, some people like a more form fitting short. Mostly just personal preference.

To be honest, the board short market is saturated. I highly doubt that anyone can compete with Hurley, O'neill, etc...
yeah that's true! appreciate all the feedback! In terms of clothing outside the water, do wakeboarders wear a specific brand that they identify themselves with?
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannellboy004 View Post
I'm a fan of the Hurley board shorts.. Wearing a green pair of Hurley ones w/ 2013 liquid force green side zip wake vest.. W/ my green 2012 slingshot wakeboard!!

If you ain't matching you ain't looking the part!

What draws you to the Hurley shorts so much? Just the color or what? I get the matching, if you can find the apparel to match your gear it looks sick! Sometimes is can be difficult to find that though correct?
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-07-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Always been a fan of Hurley shorts.. They dry quick and are very lightweight.. And they stay in place on your waist unlike most board shorts.. Also they have sick fluorescent colors that allow you to stick out from other boarders on the water.

And it's not about matching the brand name when it comes to me.. I'm all about the performance and color of the equipment.. I have liquid force wake vest, Hurley hat, raybans, and Hurley board shorts to go along with my green hyperlite systems and my black with green laced bryler boots and my green 2012 SS Hooke

Last edited by Pannellboy004; 01-07-2014 at 1:34 PM.
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Always been a fan of Hurley shorts.. They dry quick and are very lightweight.. And they stay in place on your waist unlike most board shorts.. Also they have sick fluorescent colors that allow you to stick out from other boarders on the water.

true, I hear ya on the drying quick! Nothing sucks more than sitting in wet shorts all day...
You into the simple boardshorts or do you like shorts with designs or do yo just want it to match your gear regardless if designs are on it or not?
Old     (Pannellboy004)      Join Date: Apr 2013       01-07-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
Either way is good for me.. I'm more on the what stands out the most.

Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
In terms of clothing outside the water, do wakeboarders wear a specific brand that they identify themselves with?
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Either way is good for me.. I'm more on the what stands out the most.

appreciate the insight!
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       01-07-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
r u doing market research or something? they wear whatever brand looks cool, comfortable, lightweight, stretchy, dries quick in the water, and out of the water Oakley, hurley, billabong, rvca, quicksilver, metal mulisha, spy, etc are popular.........basically just go to buckle and you will find all your answers
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-07-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
Yes, he is. Congrats you're in his focus group.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
Set up a Surveymonkey or something that actually gathers data. What class is this for and who's the teacher? Great idea and concept, but your introducing too much bias with the way your "study" or research is designed. Go Knights!

Bottom line, most wakeboarders want to be unique while still being socially acceptable, and feel like they are setting themselves apart and/or starting/ahead of the trends. Others are about convenience, comfort, cost, and support. I will always be impressed with how supportive and invested Oneill has been in the wakeboarding and waterski industries, when strictly surfing would offer much more ROI and streamline efficiencies. Yet they continue to develop and innovate new products, and support the sports, which I think many riders who notice and appreciate that, show their appreciation in return.
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 6:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
r u doing market research or something? they wear whatever brand looks cool, comfortable, lightweight, stretchy, dries quick in the water, and out of the water Oakley, hurley, billabong, rvca, quicksilver, metal mulisha, spy, etc are popular.........basically just go to buckle and you will find all your answers
yes I am doing market research, it is in the very early stages though. I have another thread where i explained the jist of the study.
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Set up a Surveymonkey or something that actually gathers data. What class is this for and who's the teacher? Great idea and concept, but your introducing too much bias with the way your "study" or research is designed. Go Knights!

Bottom line, most wakeboarders want to be unique while still being socially acceptable, and feel like they are setting themselves apart and/or starting/ahead of the trends. Others are about convenience, comfort, cost, and support. I will always be impressed with how supportive and invested Oneill has been in the wakeboarding and waterski industries, when strictly surfing would offer much more ROI and streamline efficiencies. Yet they continue to develop and innovate new products, and support the sports, which I think many riders who notice and appreciate that, show their appreciation in return.
yeah Im going to eventually do that, i am just validating my ideas to see if there will be legitimate data and enough data to make an accurate conclusion. The class is called marketing analysis and research. GO KNIGHTS!!

So would you say wakeboarders want to have their own way of "expressing themselves" rather than being streamlined with the surfers, in other words do you think they want to recognized as their own breed?
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any comments about the clothing worn outside of the water? is there any specific brand that wakeboarders identify themselves with? Also, what is it about billabong, hurley and quiksilver that attracts people to their brands?
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-07-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
When it comes to wake boarders and the brand there are those that are committed to a brand whether its a boat company, a board company, shades or clothes. This I think stems from familiarity, the more familiar you are with a product the more comfortable you will feel using it and you develop somewhat of a relationship with the brand or even employees or reps of certain companies. For example, if they ship you new product if yours gets ruined. Others, don't care what board/binding combo, what hat they wear if it is the same brand as their shorts or shades.

But it all comes down to 2 things: 1) what they like, if its comfortable and they think it looks good and performs well, we use it! and

2) supporting the brands that support the pros. I don't know much about hurley, but billabong, fox, o'neill, not sure if quiksilver is still in it, oakley, spy, etc. The average weekend warrior wants to wear gear that support pro wake boarders, to keep the sport alive. Unless you're a Rusty, a Harley, a Parks, or a guy killing in the Pro Tour, you aren't making tonnes of doh. So we support those who support our sport.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-07-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatoni View Post
Does anyone have any comments about the clothing worn outside of the water? is there any specific brand that wakeboarders identify themselves with? Also, what is it about billabong, hurley and quiksilver that attracts people to their brands?
Probably because they are the biggest in the surf industry i.e. the biggest board watersport there is and are huge international companies that sell to a huge amount of people.

Wakeboarding is a small niche sport and we pretty much ride on the coattails of other more established sports. There is a one company that has done a good job of focusing boardies to wake boarders and that is Cire.

Personally I have always liked Rip Curl and O'neill as I grew up surfing. Plus no one wears Rip Curl, so I like that aspect of it. And they sponsor Dean Smith who kills it.
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       01-08-2014, 5:42 AM Reply   
t-shirts are always cool
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-08-2014, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedidonato90 View Post
When it comes to wake boarders and the brand there are those that are committed to a brand whether its a boat company, a board company, shades or clothes. This I think stems from familiarity, the more familiar you are with a product the more comfortable you will feel using it and you develop somewhat of a relationship with the brand or even employees or reps of certain companies. For example, if they ship you new product if yours gets ruined. Others, don't care what board/binding combo, what hat they wear if it is the same brand as their shorts or shades.

But it all comes down to 2 things: 1) what they like, if its comfortable and they think it looks good and performs well, we use it! and

2) supporting the brands that support the pros. I don't know much about hurley, but billabong, fox, o'neill, not sure if quiksilver is still in it, oakley, spy, etc. The average weekend warrior wants to wear gear that support pro wake boarders, to keep the sport alive. Unless you're a Rusty, a Harley, a Parks, or a guy killing in the Pro Tour, you aren't making tonnes of doh. So we support those who support our sport.
How do you get people to become familiar with a product or brand if they dont know about you, such as the small companies? If a company were to strictly support the wakeboard scene, would that mean it would take off or be successful? Oce again I appreciate your responses and different views!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-09-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
I prefer shorts made by companies that invest into wakeboarding. Brands that support our local events. Brands carried by our local shops.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-09-2014, 11:57 PM Reply   
Just do some major advertising with scantily clad hot babes...viola
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-10-2014, 1:04 AM Reply   
I wear whatever board shorts I have handy that day and a Neoprene vest, also some gloves when wakeboarding, none when surfing obviously. When it gets really chilly out, like 40s-50s water temps I'll rock a shorty, but that's about it.
Oh and occasionally we will have funny hat days, haven't really got a funny hat for that yet, but I plan on it.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-10-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tell us the truth, you do it for the STEEZE
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
I agree with supporting the companies that support the sport! What other improvements would you like made within the sport? What about the competitions, does there need to be more? less? Would companies that support wakeboarding help the sport by sponsoring these competitions and/or providing free stuff to people at competitions, etc.?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-10-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoon View Post
Tell us the truth, you do it for the STEEZE
dude, i'm too old to know what the word steeze means lol

Either way, I think t-shirts add a cool element to the look of wakeboarding. We're all human, appearances are everything. Wearing cool shirts is fun.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-10-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
Matching your boardshorts & vest to your gear? Is that seriously a concern for some people? That's like always matching your helmet and leather riding jacket to your sportbike...it makes you look like a squid.