Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-29-2016, 7:14 AM Reply   
My son has a little Hyundai Tiburon. Stock stereo. I have a pair of JL 6w3's in the garage and a JL JX 500 amp. If I did a combo bow with the 2 6's outward facing ported with the amp mounted in between, what kind of output can I expect from these? Not trying to rattle the house or anything, just want a little clean sounding bump. Good idea? Or should I just get a 10?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-29-2016, 9:36 AM Reply   
I've heard 4 well powered 8's rock out. If it doesn't sound good, pull the box and upgrade. might as well hook it up and see
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-29-2016, 9:43 AM Reply   
Bill,
Your first idea is a great plan, especially since the vehicle is a hatchback rather than a sedan, and there is decent acoustic transparency from the cargo area to the cabin. There's definitely an element of responsiveness with ported 6W3s that you don't get with larger woofers, particularly when used in multiples.
The final outcome can be surprisingly impressive based on the execution of the ported box design and build execution, plus the orientation of the drivers & ports.
If tucked directly behind the rear seats then both the woofers & ports should be aimed aft. If located to the far rear then the woofers & ports can be upward, front, or side-firing.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-30-2016, 1:10 PM Reply   
Looking at the JL site for the box design for ported not sure that's going to fit where I want to mount it. Is ported that much louder than sealed David?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-30-2016, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
Looking at the JL site for the box design for ported not sure that's going to fit where I want to mount it. Is ported that much louder than sealed David?
Yes, in the case of this small woofer, ported versus sealed will make a monster difference.
As long as the chamber displacement is the same, port length and port surface area are the same, you can freely change the enclosure shape to fit the vehicle. You can also combine both cabinets into one, and combine both ports into one (same length and double the surface area) in order to save a bit of wall displacement.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-31-2016, 8:26 PM Reply   
I've looked for a while......does anyone like qbomb make a ported enclosure for these things? Anyone on here willing to make me one if I get you some measurements? I'm ok with building a sealed enclosure just not sure about the specs and measurement for a ported one.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-01-2016, 4:48 AM Reply   
Would this box work for you?

http://www.lifeafterbass.com/labsl0ftpomd2.html
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-01-2016, 5:52 AM Reply   
Site is blocked here at work.....I'll have to check them out tonight.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-01-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have attached screen shots of the Web page. Dimensions are there too
Attached Images

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-01-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
That might work....thank you.