Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-15-2014, 8:18 PM Reply   
I know I've posted on here a few times in the past about my issues with my 2009 F 250 however wanted to share my current experience with you guys. Very long story short:

-Bought truck new and basically a lemon from day 1
-Ford issued a 200,000 mile warranty because of all the issues
- Blown injectors, multiple EGR, DPF sensor issues
-Has run sluggish for several years now but nothings ever wrong with it
-Radiator issues
- The list goes on and on

So a few weeks ago I was broken down about 4 hours from my house. Get towed to Ford Dealership where I'm told that the codes are high oil and low fuel pressure. Diagnosis, my last oil change was done close to 6000 miles ago and the fuel filter was clamped down too tight......$400 dollar charge to hook it to a computer and an oil change and I'm on the road. Get it back home and park it for a few days. Take it back out and low and behold the same and dreaded "low power" appears with the same codes. Here is diagnosis:

-About 10 gallons of Fuel in my oil
-Two blown injectors
-Lost compression in 2nd cylinder

So the truck has been in the shop for the past two weeks. Current shops diagnosis and fix is to put a new short block in however they can not chase down the fuel issue and where it is coming from. They apparently have been working with FORD on a national level with no idea or guidance on what the issue could be. (At this point, I also get in contact with FORD whom escalates my case to a regional rep whom I honestly have better luck getting in contact with Santa than I do her). Now keep in mind that the whole time my truck is in the shop I have to contact them to get answers and most of the time they either don't return my call or they put me on hold for an extended period of time where I just get pissed and hang up. So the only way I get some answers is by showing up unannounced.

Here is where we are today. I've always taken my truck to a bigger name box chain for my oil changes because I supply my own oil, filters, etc and its dirt cheap for them to do it. So this box chain cannot find my records because the manager "did me a favor" by doing these oil changes therefore none of the old receipts can be reproduced and naturally he isn't returning FORD's calls.

So here I am, stuck because nobody from the local dealership will tell me whats really going on, nobody from FORD will return my phone calls, the local box store will not vouch for me, and I'm stuck with a 3/4 ton paper weight sitting at the shop while my boat is stuck at my storage facility awaiting to be winterized.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for me???????
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-15-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
Buy a 6.7... 6.4s blow
Probably not what u want to here but at least all this work was under warranty. My f250 spent 3 months (yes 3) in the shop before they figured out what was wrong with it and fixed it. This is not under warranty and on top of that not having a truck made it very difficult for me to get any work done at all. The 6.4 was a disaster from the start, way worse than the 6.0 ever was... If your trucks under warranty they should cover it tho. If not lawyer up... Sounds like it's gonna be easily a 10k job.

Last edited by jamespjackson95; 10-15-2014 at 8:31 PM.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-15-2014, 8:30 PM Reply   
Truck is almost paid off and do not want to jump back into a payment
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-15-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
Man that sucks. Looks like Ford is taking ideas from some of the boat companies!!
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       10-16-2014, 3:00 AM Reply   
The 6.4 suffers from bad designs of the DPF and EGR systems. If you can get through this and end up getting a new short block, I highly suggest that you go to a reputable diesel tuner familiar with the 6.4 and get the emissions crap taken off/modified.

Make sure that Ford carefully inspects the heads when the engine is apart as well. The high EGT's from regeneration cycles almost guarantees cracks in the cc.

I am sure you are very frustrated at this point. The only good news is that this engine can be very reliable if the proper steps are taken.

Good luck.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-16-2014, 5:35 AM Reply   
Is Ford saying you didn't change the oil ? You supplied the oil and filters do you have any receipts? Its been my experience with Ford they will do everything to weasel out of the warranty.

Last edited by Froggy; 10-16-2014 at 5:38 AM.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-16-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear you are having problems again Chris. If the truck has excessive amounts of fuel in the oil (10 Gallons is not possible) along with 2 bad injectors and no compression on one cylinder, it pretty much says that the injector stuck on it and burnt that cylinder down. At this point they should have it torn down to a short block and it would be pretty obvious by looking at the piston and cylinder to say if this is in fact accurate? If so, it has nothing to do with your oil changes or lack of history for them. While I agree that the DPF system sucks on these I'm really glad that you still have them on it and didn't buy that setup we previously talked about. You can pretty guarantee that they would deny any warranty on it if you had removed those items. Feel free to hit me up, if I can help you at all I will be happy to look in to it.
Old     (callmemilk)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-16-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
I agree with john, the only thing that makes sense is that there is a hole in the piston and because of that it will than take all the fuel that would be put in the cylinders to be burned, to just be mixed in with your oil. Ford will claim that you didn't get your oil changes done properly so they will use that to get out of warranty, cause its cheaper to do that than admit they produced a faulty engine. So in the long run keep fighting it and they will give in.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-16-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
If you paid for the parts and oil change labor with a CC then look up your statements online and print them out to give them to whomever needs them.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-16-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Were their problems, signs, or signals that something was wrong up until the final catastrophic failure?
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-16-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
He has had numerous problems with the EGT sensors, EGR valve and I can't remember what else. I know he is seriously fed up with the truck and I don't blame him. I work for a Ford dealer and honestly believe that they (Ford) will help him out when it comes down to it. They do like to see maintenance records, but if what I think happened (injector failed) oil changes will have nothing to do with that and they should help him out. He has obviously had a ton of problems if they gave him a extended warranty on the engine. If that is still in effect, it should be a no brainer for them to cover it.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-16-2014, 5:12 PM Reply   
Ok so here is what happened today. I took all my credit card receipts and proof of oil changes to them. I initially raised all sorts of hell with them and the national rep for the lack of communication. So initially they were trying to tell me that FORD could fight this because I used a napa oil filter one time because the place I order from was out of the motocraft ones. So after a few phone calls and some more bitching this is where I stand. FORD gave approval for them to start tearing apart the engine to attempt to diagnosis the problem. The dealer gave me a 150 to drive and use until my truck is back.

John, I appreciate all of your help and concern with this. I will contact you and let you know what happens.
Eric, no signs other than a rough idle and a wrench that popped up on my screen
Froggy, no ford is wanting proof of oil changes since I didn't get it done there
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-17-2014, 5:41 AM Reply   
I would look up the part number on the napa filter. I know some of the off brands on the 6.0 at least actually use the same euro manufacturer so it is the same exact as a motorcraft.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-20-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
Oil filter is a cop out, especially if you used a NAPA filter which is most likely Wix (very good brand/quality). I'd not familiar with the 6.x diesel design but I suspect it's similar to a powerstroke with injectors under the valve cover and HPOP doing some voodoo in the injector to pressurize the fuel for injection. Fuel in oil was likely from a failed injector. Question is did it fail from particulates in hte oil that were not caught by the filter. I highly doubt it as to seal against those high pressures it's likely crush washers or a taper fit, even if orings something would have to fail to let the fuel pass through to oil. Some particulates in your oil from wear or contamination from atmosphere are not going to break an injector seal. I don't think oil changes or filter even come into play for that type of failure. Maybe it's possible fuel can get into the oil another way on these engines, maybe someone else knows if that's possible and can chime in with more details. I am not familiar with the newer diesels so don't know for sure, just speculation.

I would want to see the failed part with my own eyes, disassembled, and with their tech's explanation of the nature of the failure along with his theories on possible root causes. You'll likely never get any of that though as it's all a stonewall of BS to get you to accept they won't warranty it. Goes to show warranties are worthless as very few companies stand behind their product. I'm curious to see how this pans out and if you ever get a real explanation as to what happened.

My thoughts on the matter are it's best to just do all your own work on vehicles that way you know what's what, can be assured of quality work and parts, and have nobody to blame but yourself if something fails. I'm reminded of the most expensive tank of gas I ever bought... About 35 gallons of 93 octane that turned out to not be 93 octane. 20 minutes of highway driving later the truck had a slight misfire and just didn't feel right, once off the highway around town I could hear the detonation. Compression check and it was low on several cyls, dirty oil, and had a tap. Timing was still dead on so had to be gas. No idea what I was looking at but knew it needed a freshening up at least so ordered $1500 worth of parts overnight shipped for the weekend. Pulled engine, rings broke in several pieces on most cylinders, a few hammered rod bearings but fortunately crank was alright. New rings, bearings, cam, lifters, misc other stuff and fortunately pistons were alright but I did have a set of the same pistons on the shelf for an engine I was building for someone else if any were damaged. Took me Friday afternoon through early AM Monday to get it freshened up, fortunately no machine work required so got it done with no missed work.

No recourse from Shell for that tank of other than 93 octane and not worth a lawsuit over $1500 and a weekend. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. But if you do it all yourself it's not sit and wait and fight with shops, it's just fix your stuff and carry on. Much less wasted time. So my advice if it were my truck, would be fight the fight so long as you still have a free truck to drive but if they don't step up you may be best just sucking it up and fixing your truck. If you don't have an alternate vehicle try to get that free loaner for a week or two while you get yours back together.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
Finally a somewhat half ass answer. They pulled the engine yesterday. Upon inspection the mechanic was thinking high pressure fuel pump and short block. Called back today, failure in the heads now and at this point, they cant give me a guess on what FORD's recourse will be. Any ideas? Driving the hell out of their loaner, anybody need anything hauled or pulled?
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-23-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
Yes If I can't get my ford acting right before next weekend I need an xstar pulled 20 hours back home 😏 my 6.0 wasn't under warrenty and I have over 10k in repairs this year... I can't afford for my truck to be in the shop as much as it is.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-23-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
Ford diesels have had a bad rep starting with there 6L diesel... That's no surprise there is a 10k repair bill with the failing of head gaskets, injectors, but if fixed correctly with after market components and deleting the EGR they are pretty much bullet proof

As for the 6.4L issues with the EGR and DPF why not delete all that.... I did the first day I had an issue with my DPF. I now have 130 000 km so I think in miles that's maybe 85000 and have had zero issues...

As for injectors I have had friends with issues because they don't use there truck it sits more then it runs and aren't diesels suppose to be worked hard and under alot of load? What do you use your truck for? Hauling the boat 40 miles a week then it sits?

You may have a lemon but I'm sure there are or where other people in the same position that got taken care of
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
Indeed I don't use the truck everyday however I use it several times during the week. Obviously during the summer I use it quite a bit more to tow with and work it more. Just got the call back that indeed the problem is in the heads and the high pressure Fuel pump and they are waiting on the word from FORD. I've been tempted to do the DPF and EGR delete however at this point if that were done they wouldn't have fixed this under warranty and I have a 200,000 mile warranty on it.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-23-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
I own a 6.4 with 186K on it and have had zero motor issues out of mine. I deleted the DPF and EGR around 60K. Only thing that has went out on mine is the power steering gear box but that is due to 38" mudders and not being scared to get it dirty. I know alot of people have had issues with there 6.4's but my truck has been a super solid ride for 5 years now. Before the delete it was a gutless gas hog. Now it runs great and the miliage is decent out of it.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-23-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
Yeah 6.0 after fixing problems it's a pretty solid engine. It just seems I'm chasing a little no boost problem right now, I'm pretty sure it's electrical, sensor or solenoid messing things up.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-24-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Anyone have a diagram of the fuel system on these engines? As best I cna understand there is a fuel gallery drilled through the head and also a high pressure oil gallery above it, both are open to the hole the injector is installed in. Where are these gallerys fed from? Externally into each? Where is the fuel pump that pumps into these galleries? If the fuel routing is all external as I would suspect, then only a failed injector or a cracked head (or bad casting) could result in fuel in the oil. I assume fuel pumps are all external and electronic and not mechanical on the block driver from crank or cam. Very curious as to this particular failure.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/index/400

best I can find
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
They tell me that the 2nd and 8th are the most susceptible. Mine's got the second and had I kept driving would have gotten the 8th
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-24-2014, 5:39 PM Reply   
If anyone could help my with my 6.0 problems it would be great
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...6&goto=newpost
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-13-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Got the truck back last friday, Towed with it all weekend. After having new heads and high pressure fuel pump replaced it ran great. Now its going back into the shop this week for water pump and transmission fluid leak at the pan......the saga continues
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-13-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
That sucks man.
Does your state have a lemon law?