Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2016, 11:04 AM Reply   
Since I got my CCW and been working on my shooting skills, I am going through lots of ammo. Where is the cheapest place to buy? Can I buy online? I normally roll over to big 5 and buy a thousand rounds or so, but just thinking there is probably a better way. There are tons of guns stores around but I am guessing they would be more costly than a big box retailer.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-10-2016, 11:19 AM Reply   
I bought my first online ammo from luckygunner.com. It was a good experience but it is the only site I have tried.
Old    bigdtx            08-10-2016, 12:23 PM Reply   
Best prices and selection I've found is at http://www.bulkammo.com/

I've ordered from them many times with no problems at all.

And yes (obviously) you can buy online - mine show up via FedEx in a couple of days. Laws may be different in your state - I'm in Texas.

Last edited by bigdtx; 08-10-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: blah
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-10-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
cheaperthandirt.com
abbleammo.com
Old    bigdtx            08-10-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
I thought cheaperthandirt went out of business... Heard a lot of stories about that as they're local.

Looks like they're back - may have to give them another look.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-10-2016, 1:19 PM Reply   
Check gunbot.net and filter by your caliber and sort it by price per round. It crawls the web and finds the cheapest prices.

I also have found that the remanufactured rounds from Freedom Munitions are great rounds for a fraction of the price, especially for range shooting. Also, I believe your first order with them is free shipping... I bought 300 blackout rounds for like 40 cents per round and they look/shoot perfect.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-10-2016, 2:49 PM Reply   
gunbroker.com is an eBay like auction style site for guns and ammo. There are both action formats and buy it now. Purchased a gun from there but not ammo yet. They have some pretty good deals, but with any mail order ammo often times shipping eats up any savings. That stuff is heavy. May be different in CA though I can imagine there are all kinds of taxes and fees and regulatory stuff built into ammo purchases.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
+1 for Freedom munitions.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/

Last edited by getssum; 08-10-2016 at 3:02 PM. Reason: didn't read 2 comments above!
Old     (VanillaGorilla)      Join Date: Nov 2015       08-10-2016, 4:39 PM Reply   
Ammobot is a phone app. I'm sure it's similar to gunbot. That's the best way to shop because it looks at many online shops and you can sort by price per round.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-10-2016, 7:38 PM Reply   
Buffalo how'd you get a CCW? Are you not in alameda county? I thought it was impossible
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
Wes - I'm out in Ripon and its is very easy here as the Cheif is VERY for his citizens having CVW. I believe I heard a stat that there are more people in the city of Ripon with ccw than Manteca or Modesto combined. I know Stanislaus county takes over 1 year and is almost impossible to get. I have heard Alameda is also very difficult/next to impossible.

Thanx guys - Based on recent actions by our government I will be added to my gun list and ammunition stock.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
Cheaperthandirt, Gunbot, Freedom, bulkammo, are all great sources. I shop them all every time.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-11-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
CTD is my go to. Have bought from bulkammo as well. CTD is having a sale on .45 now.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-12-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Wes - I'm out in Ripon and its is very easy here as the Cheif is VERY for his citizens having CVW. I believe I heard a stat that there are more people in the city of Ripon with ccw than Manteca or Modesto combined. I know Stanislaus county takes over 1 year and is almost impossible to get. I have heard Alameda is also very difficult/next to impossible.

Thanx guys - Based on recent actions by our government I will be added to my gun list and ammunition stock.
StanCo isn't impossible at all, just takes a long long time as Christiansen approves so many. A few years back it was a 6month process. Once the threat of gun ban and the ammo shortage era came about it went to almost a year and now its probably even longer. I have lots of friends who got them in stanco. The threat of gun laws etc. imo only creates massive ammounts of gun/ammo sales.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2016, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
CTD is my go to. Have bought from bulkammo as well. CTD is having a sale on .45 now.

Good to know. I discovered last night that I'm below a thousand rounds of 45 and .357. And while I still have about 4000 rounds of 9mm HP147s, I'm very low on the target rounds.

FYI, Costco has a deal on ammo cans. Two pack for 20$.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2016, 10:30 AM Reply   
By the way, has anyone shot one of these? I picked one up and haven't touched my SW 686+ since. It's smooth and fun.
Attached Images

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-12-2016, 6:49 PM Reply   
Online is the best way right now. Once the new law goes into effect against online sales and having to get background checks on ammo purchase the ideal way to go will be to hit the gun shows in Reno that happen 3-6 times per year. There's one big one each year, forget when though
Old    bigdtx            08-13-2016, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
By the way, has anyone shot one of these? I picked one up and haven't touched my SW 686+ since. It's smooth and fun.
LOL - I was just looking at these the other day. Have a couple of other pistols on my wish list ahead of it but I love the look - although a lot of people hate it. Only concern I have is that the firing mechanism looks super complicated because of the barrel position and the hammer is really just for show - they should have just removed it.
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-13-2016, 3:56 PM Reply   
I've bought components from www.evergladesammo.com before. Good service and fair pricing.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-14-2016, 5:13 PM Reply   
I shoot quite a bit. Over 500 9mm and 300 or so 223/556 a week. Used to shoot freedom munitions stuff till I had several light loaded 9 and several squib rounds. NOT acceptable and just dangerous. Had several 223 rounds blow the primer out and really cause a problem jamming up,the bcg in my rifles. Just a caution w their stuff. Now I shoot Nevada Ammo and stand 1 armory product. Their pistol ammo is fantastic. About $200/1000 shipped. For 9mm.
Target Sports online also has great prices. Sign up for their weekly emails ! Order from them quite a bit as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2016, 8:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
I shoot quite a bit. Over 500 9mm and 300 or so 223/556 a week. Used to shoot freedom munitions stuff till I had several light loaded 9 and several squib rounds. NOT acceptable and just dangerous. Had several 223 rounds blow the primer out and really cause a problem jamming up,the bcg in my rifles. Just a caution w their stuff. Now I shoot Nevada Ammo and stand 1 armory product. Their pistol ammo is fantastic. About $200/1000 shipped. For 9mm.
Target Sports online also has great prices. Sign up for their weekly emails ! Order from them quite a bit as well.
You shoot 800 rounds a week??
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2016, 8:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
LOL - I was just looking at these the other day. Have a couple of other pistols on my wish list ahead of it but I love the look - although a lot of people hate it. Only concern I have is that the firing mechanism looks super complicated because of the barrel position and the hammer is really just for show - they should have just removed it.
Without the hammer it would be double action only. The hammer functions just like any other revolver except that the external mechanism retires back to it's home position after drawing it back.

The mechanics inside area definitely more complex. But it shoots very nice.

A couple of my friends think it's the ugliest gun ever. I dig the way it looks.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-15-2016, 10:02 PM Reply   
J-rod,
Yep, usually about 800.summer months a little less. Mostly 9mm as that's my edc caliber and also the caliber I shoot for uspsa and ipsc competitions. I practice a lot with my race gun and lately, a lot with my edc 9mm. I'm lucky to have an awesome indoor range really close to where I work and spend my lunch hours there. Usually more like a lunch few hours. Let's just say my ups and fedex guys don't look forward to my deliveries that are marked "ORMD". Took a class in Vegas a few months ago with Baret Fawbush "Truexodus" and that really upped my round count. He's coming to CO in sept and I'm doing a 2 day class with him here. Gotta hone my skills. Speed from concealment and accuracy. So lots of shots going down range in the next month. Love the hobby
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2016, 6:52 AM Reply   
That sounds like an expensive hobby, but an awesome one. Good for you. Hopefully the liberal cancer gun laws that are plaguing California never make it your way. I've talked to a few comp shooters out here recently that are making plans to leave the state. Mandatory background checks on ammo take effect Jan 1.

Which 9s are you shooting?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-16-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
backgrounds for ammo??

9mm: Had my G19 for range duty. traded it to a friend, his son loved it. Need to replace it as I don't have a range workhorse. thinking a 17 might fit my hand better, just not the best EDC.

Beretta 92FS caught my eye as well, steel frame weight might improve accuracy a tad.
Have shot a couple XDs. would work, just not crazy about them.

J-rod, still shooting your G19?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
Yes sir. We have two of them. That's our standard household weapon. The 19 feels like a full frame gun to me. The 17 felt big but it certain has it's advantages.

Yes. Background checks for Ammo. Starting Jan 1 2017 we have the following.

1. Ban on sale of any detachable magazine rifles. So ARs, AKs, etc..... you will no longer be able to buy one from a dealer or PPT. You can also not loan or transfer a weapon to a family member. Not even your kids. There are companies already working on accessories to help you quickly break the action and release the mag from the inside. Apparently this is supposed to get us around the law. Loop hole. This makes an AR a non-detachable.

2. Ban and confiscation of any >10 magazine. Doesn't matter, no excuses. Turn them in, destroy, or remove from the state.

3. Ammo background check. Every time you purchase ammo, the purchase will be tracked. Background check. And likely, your purchases will be tracked. So now the government will know how much ammo we purchase. No more online purchases for California. I will buy out of state, and load my own.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-16-2016, 8:15 AM Reply   
My edc is a g19 that I had custom done by Performance Industries. Mill work, grip work, and cerakote. Storm lake barrel.
Comp gun is a Springfield xdm 5.25 done by Powder River Precision. It's dead nuts reliable and smooth.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Thanx for the help guys. Where do you shop for new guns - Looking for two more hand guns by the end of the year and not sure that the local dealers are the best choice. Thinking Glock .40 and a 1911. Have not completed research, but want to make purchase in next month.
Old    bigdtx            08-22-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
https://grabagun.com/
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-22-2016, 1:12 PM Reply   
Buffalow
Go to Tracy rifle and pistol and or guns fishing and other stuff. Both have an indoor range and rent pretty much everything they keep in stock regularly. Best way to try before you buy, especially if you are trying to put something in the wife's hand that she will be comfortable with. I usually do most of my purchasing at solar tactical. They have a shop in Livermore and Castro valley. Guns fishing and other stuff has a better selection but their prices are too high.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2016, 2:09 PM Reply   
Guns, Fishing, and Stuff has a great selection as Callen mentioned. Also, I'm a huge fan of Solar Tactical. They have locations in Livermore and Castro Valley. Cool guys. And they stock cool stuff.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2016, 2:10 PM Reply   
Btw I own the Springfield A1 1911 and it's been a great pistol. And it was inexpensive by todays standards for a 1911.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2016, 9:06 AM Reply   
Thanx guys - Love WW!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2016, 9:26 AM Reply   
J-rod, the ammo back round check deal hasn't passed yet. That's Gavin Newsom's poorly named "Safety for all" act.

It's coming to the ballot this November, so make sure you don't vote for it :-)

Also, don't use the term "loop hole". Working within the letter of the law is a more apt description.

You basically have three options with detachable magazine rifles -

1) Featureless - No pistol grip, barrel shroud, flash hider, bayonet lug (?) etc.

2) Fixing the magazine, forcing you to break the action of the weapon before reloading (couple of ways to go about this so far)

3) registration

Oh, and Buffalow, living in Ripon you have access to much better (priced at least!) stores than most in the bay area. My favorites out that way are Alquist arms in Turlock - Great service, KILLER prices and Elite Arms and Supply in Manteca.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-24-2016, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
just noticed the barrel is on the lower end of the muzzle. recoil should be less than typical barrels. liking this gun more and more
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-24-2016, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Btw I own the Springfield A1 1911 and it's been a great pistol. And it was inexpensive by todays standards for a 1911.
you regularly shoot it? My Colt A1 started marring the barrel right at the ejection port. haven't shot it since, don't want to f it up and not sure why it started doing it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-24-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanx for the help guys. Where do you shop for new guns - Looking for two more hand guns by the end of the year and not sure that the local dealers are the best choice. Thinking Glock .40 and a 1911. Have not completed research, but want to make purchase in next month.
If you're looking for CCW vs range duty, check out the 10mm G29. 10 round capacity and great ballistics. I'd put it in sub-compact category. feels good in the hand and I'm quite accurate with it
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2016, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
you regularly shoot it? My Colt A1 started marring the barrel right at the ejection port. haven't shot it since, don't want to f it up and not sure why it started doing it.
Not regularly. It's too damn gorgeous to get dirty. I have probably a thousand rounds through it. It's a range queen. My only problem with it was in sub freezing temps. The grease you run in 1911's gets gummy in cold weather. I have to put a few down the pipe to warm it up, then it cycles beautifully. But my gun isn't showing any abnormal wear.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
just noticed the barrel is on the lower end of the muzzle. recoil should be less than typical barrels. liking this gun more and more
That's the idea. It shoots nice.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
E.Silva -That is exactly what the locals told m - Elite and Alquist.

Thanx
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2016, 1:45 PM Reply   
Some tips for ya. Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil runs great as a lube. ! I run it in many of my handguns and ar platform guns. Weather does not effect it. Stay away from Froglube. Worthless and gums up like crazy.
Next, shoot those guns you are afraid to get dirty !!! I hate to see safe queens. Guns like to be fired or they get sad. My buddy has a Salient Tier 1 g19 that is his edc. It gets about 500 + rounds through it a week and goes everywhere with him Not afraid to scratch it or get holster wear on such an awesome looking firearm. Same with my Performance Industries G19. Carried a Springfield EMP before that and it's also a really nice gun. Didn't worry about it showing use and still have it.
Some of my AR platform rifles are really nice and they get shot weekly and dirty/scratched. Can't worry about that or they won't get used. I'm a believer that a gun that does not get used is not a gun worth having. Unless it's for investment purposes. That's a different story. I have a few of those as well. But still get them to the range every once in a while. Pew pew pew.

On the topic of ammo, I just placed an order with targetsportsusa.com for some 9mm. Placed it yesterday and got a shipping/tracking number today. That was quick and my experience with them in the past has been the same. Price was fantastic too for Blazer brass 115gr.
Now to watch the ups guy cuss getting it to my porch.

Last edited by colorider; 08-24-2016 at 1:47 PM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-24-2016, 2:23 PM Reply   
Andy I agree. whether its a classic car or a higher end firearm, everything I own (or will) gets used regularly. I'll post a pic of the marring I'm talking about. I use Hoppe's oil on everything.

Wasn't aware 1911s needed a different lube and I can't find any research to agree with that. Jrod, whats your experience on 1911 oil? other than cold mornings and your current oil...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2016, 9:06 AM Reply   
The weapons I practice with most are the weapons most likely to be used. Some of my weapons I have just to have, and they make an appearance a couple times a year. Match grade rounds for my 7 mag are 3$ each. There's an example of a gun you don't need to shoot a lot.

Every shop I've been in recommends a heavier, grease type lube for 1911s. I didn't research it either. But it was highly recommended to me by people with more experience than myself. If oil works for you that's great.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-30-2016, 1:01 PM Reply   
just bought a Ruger P89 in 9mm for range work. Full steel frame, 15+1 capacity and the price was right. Love Ruger rifles, but this is my first handgun. Actually my second, got an LC9 as well. Gonna put a few hundred rounds through it then decide if its a keeper.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-31-2016, 7:40 AM Reply   
Does anybody shoot the S&W 9mm Shield? I was looking at that for one of my carry weapons. I want to go smaller than my H&K .40 and had a few friends recommend the Shield. I have not yet shot it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-31-2016, 12:13 PM Reply   
My dad's EDC is a 9mm shield. haven't shot it, but I can
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Does anybody shoot the S&W 9mm Shield? I was looking at that for one of my carry weapons. I want to go smaller than my H&K .40 and had a few friends recommend the Shield. I have not yet shot it.
I have. Evan has one. It's one of the better compacts I've fired.

I also own the LCP and LC9 that Nacho mentioned. The LC9 is reliable and even smaller than the shield. There's a tab that sticks up when the gun is hot so there's never any doubt. What I hate about it is the trigger. It's a double action only semi-auto. Not a pleasure to shoot in the slightest, but there's no other 9 that's more compact. The shield is bigger, but it shoots a lot nicer. I would trade it for the shield in a second.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2016, 9:43 PM Reply   
The shield is a great carry weapon as it has a very thin profile so it wouldn't leave much of a footprint if even any at all. Other great features I love about it are that it has a loaded chamber indicator and also an actual manual safety. If I had my carry permit, personally I wouldn't like carrying in condition 1 without an actual manual safety. I love my springfields but just the grip and trigger safety's aren't enough for me. Having that little bit of extra security gives me absolutely no doubt about having a hot weapon.
The only downside to the shield is that it has taken a fair amount of time at the range to break the trigger in. It's fairly gritty right out of the box. There is some smithing that can be done to get it smoother right away, either getting rid of some burrs or by dropping in a new trigger kit(which I might do as well)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-02-2016, 12:34 PM Reply   
Ruger LC pistols are tiny, but have an awkward amount of trigger uptake like jarrod mentioned. I probably wouldn't notice it in a active situation, but definitely weird on the range.

LC9 also has "hot gun" indicator and safety on the slide
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-02-2016, 5:47 PM Reply   
Looked at Shield 9Mm today that I think would be perfect for carry. Than a limited edition lightweight colt 1911 that was real nice. Trying to work a deal with both of them!