Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-15-2015, 12:42 AM Reply   
I mean if you had replaced your "old" 2005-2007 wake boat on the brand new 2014 (example) how many new tricks you had add in your pocket quickly? I told about when the desire was to get new boat exactly for grow riding - not for "turn neck" effect. Or how many people you know who had changed the level of riding fast due buying of the new boat. I've got interest for the owners of boat only - not the friends who ride together. If the changes go not fast and like on previous boat it's not interesting also because it's natural process. Guys sorry if my english not perfect.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-15-2015, 5:29 AM Reply   
Watch this video and you be the judge. For the most part and most riders abilities out there a new boat with a bigger wake will only help so much. Yes, at the pro level a bigger wake has allowed them to go bigger, add more spins, inverts, etc to each trick but for most riders it can actually hinder progress and lead to bad technique going from a normal wake to a slammed G before they are ready. I'm sure there will be people who disagree but this is just my 2 cents. Watch below

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DupkCGXnhQU
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-15-2015, 5:32 AM Reply   
a new boat wont really help you progress faster. there isnt much difference between a 2005-2007 and a 2014. this is like buying new golf clubs and expecting them to make you better. this only works if you're ultra advanced/ pro level
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-15-2015, 5:32 AM Reply   
Dang the link isn't working (I'm posting from my phone). Google "young byerly wakeboard" and watch the YouTube video of him throwing down behind an old outboard.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-15-2015, 5:40 AM Reply   
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DupkCGXnhQU
Old     (Cap305)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-15-2015, 5:45 AM Reply   
Here's your link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DupkCGXnhQU
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-15-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
I get to wakeboard more with a new boat because I don't have to work on it all the time.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-15-2015, 7:54 AM Reply   
Zero!!!!! Especially 2007-2014.

Well, maybe some. If you just upgraded and spent a lot of money, you will probably use it more. That will make you a better rider.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-15-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
Watch this video and you be the judge. For the most part and most riders abilities out there a new boat with a bigger wake will only help so much. Yes, at the pro level a bigger wake has allowed them to go bigger, add more spins, inverts, etc to each trick but for most riders it can actually hinder progress and lead to bad technique going from a normal wake to a slammed G before they are ready. I'm sure there will be people who disagree but this is just my 2 cents. Watch below

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DupkCGXnhQU
You aren't talking average person with that video.

The AVERAGE person going from say a 2005 Malibu VLX stock ballast with wedge - backrolls, 180s, toeside won't benefit from a slammed G. Many people going from boat to boat, I don't even see a difference in their height of wake jumps. It's all mental, which is also why people only go so high even on a slammed wake.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
It will probably help as much as brand new sneakers in 3rd grade helped you run faster.

If you have an 07 Bayliner and were upgrading to a 2014 VLX then it would probably help quite a bit. However, if you have an 07 Bayliner and "upgraded" to an 85 Ski Nautique that would probably make just as big a difference.

Having a solid well-shaped wake (not talking about wake size) does make a difference but it really comes down to the particular boat as opposed to what year it was made.

What type of boat do you have, Alex?
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-15-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
I recently went from an 2007 to a 2014 and its pretty obvious that the newer boats make better wakes. This means you do not have to work as hard to achieve the height required to perform the tricks. So the guys in slammed Gs may only go as high as they used to behind their 210s, but they can ride longer and focus more on the development of new tricks and techniques.
Technology has come a long way since 2007 - Bluetooth, GPS Speed Control, RGB lighting, etc. It's nice to have those features installed from the factory with a warranty included. Plus, the boat we purchased came with 3 years of free maintenance and a 3-year bow to stern warranty. Which means all we are paying for is (besides the boat payment of course) gas, insurance, and registration for the next 3 years.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-15-2015, 7:14 PM Reply   
You will only learn new tricks if you try them, not if you buy a new boat. New tricks are not included in your payment, contrary to some beliefs.

Also tricks are something a hooker does for money, I perform illusions behind the boat.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-16-2015, 7:22 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for all of your replies. I just wanted to get proof of my thought "if you are owner enough good wake boat (with nice wake) which was made after 2005-2006 years will be better reason spend money for wake camp or more extensive training if you wanna go big. New boat is not argument for declare "I need newer boat for my progress". In deed I'm over 50 years old man who just want to understand what happen in industry today and what the new generation think about. I've got old Supra DD and spending summer with my family and perform training for guys in Ukraine who have desire. http://wakestream.com/galereya/ And of course this my favorite movie with Byerly.

Last edited by alexair; 01-16-2015 at 7:24 AM.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-16-2015, 10:38 AM Reply   
Fact: 84-96% of people buying new boats are buying them to wakesurf.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       01-19-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
Lmao@T Robb. If i told you to buy a dill do it will make you a better tuber would buy it and use it?
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-19-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
Honestly the only way a new boat will help you is if you are going from an i/o or outboard boat. Most inboards can be perfect for anyone below the pro level
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-06-2015, 11:58 AM Reply   
I'm gonna dig this back up real quick. I saw this thread a while back and didn't really know how to word what I wanted to say... The trick comparison came to mind this morning and it sort of touches on what Spike said.

I'd venture to disagree with the popular opinion here mostly based off of personal experience. 1 person's experience is a small sample size to really cover a whole concept, but IMO newer boats with newer technology (production and software-wise), better engineered hulls and more ballast have definitely allowed me to be a better rider. I spend my summer at home in MN behind a 93 DD Maristar 210. I add a substantial amount of weight for that boat and it's certainly no slalom wake but there's nothing special to say about it either (Aside from having any boat at all, which I am grateful for.) During the school year I'm here in AZ and ride a few times a week, splitting time between an 06 VLX and 08 A20. These are obviously going to be better wakes than the Maristar, and it's the difference between having time and air for a straight HS3 vs. being able to poke that 3 out and grab it melan. Ever so often I have the chance to get behind the newer flagship boats. Mostly new G series hulls, the 15 VLX and A24. The wakes are ~25% bigger (if I had to put a number to it,) the boats don't pull as much and hold speed better when cutting so the wake is more consistent and is (again, IMO) shaped better, giving me more airtime and better pop/release. The new boats make the difference between a sloppy TS5 I land 6/10 times vs. sticking them clean 9/10 times, or buttchecking out of a HS front to fakie vs. grabbing it nose and standing it up in the flats.

I'd call myself an intermediate/advanced rider. Not a pro by any stretch of the imagination but I compete and am fortunate to spend a ton of time around boats on the water and in the shop. My overall point is that tricks that I have comfortably "locked" on 2013+ boats get a bit shakier and less technical as the model year decreases. No, jumping from a 2007 to a 2015 isn't magically going to turn a tantrum into a whirly 7 but there's still a notable difference between the boats and their wakes when you span a 5+ year gap and that can be chalked up to innovation and engineering.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-07-2015, 2:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
..... The wakes are ~25% bigger (if I had to put a number to it,) the boats don't
Thank you for your opinion and your thoughts are very interesting. I've got only one question for you - can you tell me absolute height of the wake in inches for 2007 years and 2015 years boats for the same weight? I'm wondering where do you take 25%? I know that biggest wake for 2005 boats crowd told X Star and this absolute size was measured as approx. 18" (from flat of water to top of the wake). So therefore now with yours + 25% will be approx 22,5". Measurement was produced with stationary poles (such prop of bridge) and on the real distance 75' the wake from boat with 24 MPH speed. It's not too hard to reproduce and you can make comparison easy. Remember - use the same TOTAL weight of boat.
I sure yours 25% is just impression from ramp that made described size not accuracy. IMO of course
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-07-2015, 11:25 AM Reply   
Jordan, Yes the newer boats will allow you to become a better rider, but if you are just getting into the sport during the first year or so youre going to be learning the same tricks behind a 1985 and a 2015
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-08-2015, 4:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
Thank you for your opinion and your thoughts are very interesting. I've got only one question for you - can you tell me absolute height of the wake in inches for 2007 years and 2015 years boats for the same weight? I'm wondering where do you take 25%? I know that biggest wake for 2005 boats crowd told X Star and this absolute size was measured as approx. 18" (from flat of water to top of the wake). So therefore now with yours + 25% will be approx 22,5". Measurement was produced with stationary poles (such prop of bridge) and on the real distance 75' the wake from boat with 24 MPH speed. It's not too hard to reproduce and you can make comparison easy. Remember - use the same TOTAL weight of boat.
I sure yours 25% is just impression from ramp that made described size not accuracy. IMO of course
The 25% number comes from me and myself only, it's my experience and recent memory of the wakes from the boats I've gotten to ride in the last couple months. When I ride right in the trough of the wake and size it up, I feel like the newer wakes are that much bigger than the old ones. I don't know about being able to size them up in a test side by side, but I'll bring a tape measure or something as a ruler for reference next time I get behind each with a stock ballast setup and gear. Using the same total weight of the boat for each test wouldn't make a good comparison because would eliminate the factor of innovation for the newer boats that can handle more weight based on advancements of construction and tech. This isn't solely about the hull, it's the boat as a whole and so I think that the setups should be run at stock ballast at the same length and speed on the same water.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-08-2015, 7:15 AM Reply   
"Using the same total weight of the boat for each test wouldn't make a good comparison because would eliminate the factor of innovation for the newer boats that can handle more weight based on advancements of construction and tech." Jordan, this way to check very easy what you named as"innovation for the newer boats". For handling more ballast you need add only freeboard and change the prop for the same engine. That's all of "innovations" to handle easy bigger ballast in the same size of boat. Shape of hull may improve shape of wake for some speeds only. But even new shapes of hull not always pretty good. For example I've got no impression from MXZ wake. And one more - I will name "innovation" if any brand make a boat with ability to change size of wake with no use of the ballast just in seconds. Now folks pay for motorised tower on MC over $5K and I'm sure no problem to do something underwater and change the game.
And of course you have personal opinion and impression when seeing new wake behind new shining boat.