Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-23-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
We have been home for a few weeks, finally some good surf time for RJ and the wake is just incredibly juicy lately. Anyway, check it out, this was a lot of fun.

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2013, 8:05 PM Reply   
That was incredible! The Indy air reverse was insane. And RJs style is on point
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2013, 5:09 AM Reply   
R J is getting really good really fast.. I see why he will probably have to go Pro next year.Good luck in your next contest R.J.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-26-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
Nice!
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-26-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
Times two what Mitch said.....AN AIR 1 WITH A GRAB! Sweet RJ
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2013, 3:55 PM Reply   
Killer run... I like the grab call outs.... Could be useful for some judges....... I agree with Mitch.... really solid form.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks, and yes, I did the call outs for fun, but I was def thinking of making it easier for judges.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-23-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
and so humble....love the goat boy.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-23-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
super incredible vid with all kinds of awesomeness. What's the camera setup?
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-24-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
Fun to follow his progression. Am I the only one who wants to see more video footage of Ragboy surfing spliced into these?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-24-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
The camera setup is hero3 silver on tower set at 720/60 and hero3 black on pole set at 720/120.

Be careful what you wish for. This is a 15 second video (instagram) of me surfing and messing around. Same setup as RJ above, only there was only RJ and Maddie and Jesse with me on this day, so no weight in the boat other than our custom sacs. I think taps was about 4, and speed about 11.

Old     (NATE1979)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-24-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
I just can't get into it.

No matter how much I want to like wakesurfing, I just can't.

Riding behind a wakeboat and catching 2 feet of "air" seems very anti-climatic.

I know it requires skill, but so does riding a pogo stick on the platform.

Now that I mention it, I think riding a pogo stick on the platform may be more interesting to watch...
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-25-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   
Ha! Sweet video Ragboy. Dat board!

Nate, I thought the same thing a year ago. I didn't want to like surfing - had some friends who were into it and I said I'd stick to wakeboarding. Then I tried it a few times and when I could surf easily without the rope it was just way too fun. A feeling of freedom and endless possibilities. Now my wakeboards stay at home and I'm plumbing my boat for surfing only.

One thing that gives wakesurfing potential is that anyone can try it. That's why sports like basketball and football are so popular, anyone can go out and shoot some hoops or throw the football around after watching a game. Not everyone wants to go 20 mph and risk a face plant.

I had 3 adults on my boat last weekend and got them all to surf -- non of them would have gone near wakeboard.

Granted, the disadvantage is the setup you need: A decent sized v-drive wakeboat, tons of ballast...not something most people have access to. To overcome this, there would need to be a lot of wakesurf clubs and private rental options. Otherwise, wakesurfing will always be viewed as a sport for the privileged.
Old     (NATE1979)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-26-2013, 9:18 AM Reply   
I have everything you mentioned. 22.5 ft v-drive wakeboat, 3000# of plumbed in ballast and surf boards.

I can surf ropeless (alone or with either of my 80lb kids on the board with me) and have been able to for a few years.

I can slash and pump and catch "air". I can 360 (surface). I can start from the platform, and end on the platform while moving.

I still can't get pumped about it. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATE1979 View Post
I have everything you mentioned. 22.5 ft v-drive wakeboat, 3000# of plumbed in ballast and surf boards.

I can surf ropeless (alone or with either of my 80lb kids on the board with me) and have been able to for a few years.

I can slash and pump and catch "air". I can 360 (surface). I can start from the platform, and end on the platform while moving.

I still can't get pumped about it. Maybe I'm missing something?
Well it Obviouse that you sir are too cool for this thread.....so just leave

way to kill it RJ
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-26-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
I still can't get pumped about it. Maybe I'm missing something
Right, I would say surfing probably just isn't for you then.

It's more about the organic feeling of only using the power of a wave and the thrill of not relying on a rope. Not everyone is going to get excited about that. I do.