Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Brandin10)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-02-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
So I'm a new Towboat owner and a diesel truck owner. Can someone fill me in as to why no manufacture offers a diesel motor option? It seems like it would be a no brainer to me. You get way more torque and way better fuel economy. Just wondering if I'm missing part of the equation? Also the extra weight of the diesel motor would help all of us that have to add tons of ballast. Please chime in if you have pondered the same question !
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-02-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
I agree. Mostly seems demand just isn't there, a lot of people don't have easy diesel lake acces either
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-02-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
In addition to demand... and without researching it another factor to consider is that there's nearly zero dealerships where these boats are serviced that have any diesel engine/mechanic experience at all and training is certainly not trivial. Similarly, the marinizers like Indmar and PCM likely don't have any experience with diesel. Aside from technology standpoint you'd have to build an entire support system from engineering to the mechanic at a dealer.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-02-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
I agree. Mostly seems demand just isn't there, a lot of people don't have easy diesel lake acces either
True, there isn't a lot of Diesel on the lakes. But there's PLENTY of diesel where I ride on the Columbia River. tons of the big 30 to 40+ foot cruisers take diesel and we have LOTS of them moored on the river.

It's probably just another example of vendors giving consumers what the vendors want, rather than what consumers want. I hate it when manufacturers shape consumer behavior by simply not giving them options. Just like the lack of availability of Diesel cars in the USA when there are so many more models made in Europe.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-02-2015, 9:35 AM Reply   
Oh I agree, I would rather have one. Especially on the cars thing.. Getting me revved up with that. Back when ford still had a ranger, drove in with a 1989 ranger and said easiest sale you've ever made. Want that exact truck, regular cab, long bed, 4 cylinder,4wd. Weeeeeeeelll can't have a long bed anymore. Fine, half a bed whatever. Weeeeeell can't have a 4cyl with 4wd. Why not? Not enough power. My ass! I drove here in it after snaking trees out of the damn woods! It's had over a ton in the damn bed while pulling white oaks!! Well you can have the v6. What's the mpg on that. ONE LESS THAN A V8 f150. hahaha said right then Yall can pucker up and and give us what we want( especially a little diesel if you want to complain about a power) or you'll never sell enough. Look at that no more ranger, what a joke. Next new car I buy will be a tesla and I'll make it exactly how I want it and they'll bring the damn thing to my door. The diesel thing is same story, screw what customers want they'll buy what they get. Sorry. Rant over/
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-02-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandin10 View Post
Can someone fill me in as to why no manufacture offers a diesel motor option?

First off, Mastercraft came out with one. Why it isn't available still can probably be researched.

http://www.waterskimag.com/ski-boats...gen-tdi-225-6/

If I read that correctly that it is a 32 thousand dollar upgrade then there is your answer why it isn't available.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2015, 12:15 PM Reply   
From what I understand talking to engine and boat manufactures and bearing in mind that I don't live in the US. First of all Indmar used to have a diesel engine in its range but had very little demand for it so it got dropped. Tow boat manufactures in the US won't use it due to around 60% of boats are sold without trailers and are gased at the marina that only has gas. I believe MasterCraft ship boats out of the country without engines and fit the VW unit to them in Europe for the international market, EPIC used to install a diesel engine in the hybrid, was a flop in the US but huge success in europe that led to the full electric version. The only boat manufacture that I'm aware of that currently has a diesel option in the US is Pavarti. Funny enough this unit is a VW based unit built by Cummings for Mercruiser built through a partnership agreement
Old     (Brandin10)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-02-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
Found this guy online.

www.dieselwake.com
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-02-2015, 3:51 PM Reply   
Easy answer. Add $25,000 to base price for OEM.
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-03-2015, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsupralaunch View Post
Easy answer. Add $25,000 to base price for OEM.
Exactly, the GM based LS options are very cost effective compared to a diesel.

A marinized diesel is a very low volume product. $25k is probably close to accurate for cost delta.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-03-2015, 6:23 AM Reply   
They'd be in boost constantly which would essentially negate any positive effects compared to a NA motor
Old     (North_LA_Hunter)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-03-2015, 6:23 AM Reply   
Pavati has a diesel option in their boats.

Not sure what engine it is though.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-03-2015, 11:24 AM Reply   
Tow boats are the toys. It's rare in use like commercial and so many boats have less 100 hours per year. Who will start diesel engine line for less than 1% of customers who ready to pay additional 10k (at least) for diesel smell?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-03-2015, 11:30 AM Reply   
not to mention a certain inbred crowd would program the crap out of them and be rolling coal all over the lakes and in the faces riders
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       09-03-2015, 1:19 PM Reply   
nah....

6ft stack would work for exhaust above the rider, stripper pole at the cove and tube tie-off point on the weekend days....

all problems solved..
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-03-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
Final tier 4 emission regulations don't help either. You've got both the cost of DOC/DPF and SCR canisters plus trying to fit them into the boat.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-05-2015, 5:46 AM Reply   
Mercruiser has a new Marinized TDI Engine
Has more Torque at 1800rpm than the Ilmore 7.4 L at 4000 !!!
Great option for increased Surf boat pop.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
the VAG 3.0TDI or 4.2TDI would be amazing in a boat. When you look at cars, especially in Europe, the cost differential is only a few thousand pounds between petrol and diesel so if the boat companies adopted on mass, eventually it would be a similar differential. Modern diesels are clean, offer bucket loads of torque, major safety advantages - fuel fires would be a thing of the past etc etc. Oh, and you can reprogram them for some huge outputs. The standard 3.0TDI remapped delivers around 280BHP, but over 420lbft torque. enough to turn a BIG screw.