Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-13-2014, 7:35 PM Reply   
About to install 3 reversible pumps. I was going to wire them right to the battery. My idea was to run the pos and negative from the battery to under the dash. Then use some sort of distribution block to split up the power to the three pump switches.

I'm struggling on which distribution block to use and what gauge wire i need from the battery to the dist block. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2014, 10:09 PM Reply   
I also have three pumps and I ran mine off the Perko switch, this will not allow the pumps to turn on unless battery is turned on. I also used a 30amp inline fuse for each pump with no distribution block. I have instaled a few different Johnson pumps on different boats using this connection with no problems. To run off the Perko its very simple, run the hot off the Perko and ground off the battery. If you do not have a Perko switch I cant see why you just could not come directly off the battery with inline fuse.

I use the Romex wire from Wakemakers, its really clean and easy to feed through areas of the boat. I believe its 12 gauge, but they also offer 16 gauge.

http://www.wakemakers.com/12-awg-2-c...pump-wire.html

Last edited by fman; 04-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old     (MWG)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-14-2014, 5:37 AM Reply   
This is what I used..
http://www.bluesea.com/products/5025..._Bus_and_Cover

You can also use their circuit wizard to determine what wire size to use. Keep in mind that the wire length is both the positive & negative.. in other words if your wire run is 10', the total wire run is 20'. Also the guys a Blues Seas are very helpful.

Good luck
Mike
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-14-2014, 6:10 AM Reply   
You can do it either way. The distribution block is probably going to be a cleaner looking install, but it definitely adds complexity.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-14-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
I think the dist block might make things easier or at least minimally more difficult. I don't think I have room to add another 3 sets of wires on the battery terminals anyway. Plus that is a lot of extra wire run.

Can I run 8ga wire to that dist block...I guess will a ring terminal for an 8ga wire fit on that thing? I'm not sure how big a #10-32 Stud is. I would mind running my heater to that thing as well.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-14-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
Todd,

Ive connected a standard tinned battery lug to that fuse box. It was on a 4ga cable. Its a #10 threaded stud, which is about .190" DIA. You will need a terminal that fits a #10 post and whatever gauge cable you decide on. For 3 ballast pumps and the open fuses for more accessories, I would consider 6ga, maybe 4ga.
Old     (MWG)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-14-2014, 6:39 AM Reply   
Also check out Wayteck for wiring & miscellaneous electrical items.. they have great price and service...

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...ne-Wire-Cable/

I used a 100A MRBF in a MRBF Holder connected to an existing distribution block to feed the fuse block.

Last edited by MWG; 04-14-2014 at 6:45 AM.