Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-08-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
im headed to the lake this weekend with a couple of go pro silver 3's this will be the first time to use the go pro on the boat so i have a couple questions on what settings would be best.

for surfing i will have one camera on a suction cup mount at back of boat, and one camera on the top of tower facing the surfer. what would be best settings for both of these cameras?

if we wakeboard i will only be using the camera on tower. what would be best setting for that during wakeboarding?

im new to the whole go pro thing so im lost on what settings are best.

thanks in advance
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-08-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
For action - 720/60 seems to be the res/frame rate of choice. I haven't tried mine on the boat yet, but took some good snowboarding footage last week with those settings.

For the one on the suction cup.. get a Big Kahuna leash.. don't want to lose the camera by accident.
http://bigkahunamounts.com/
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
For the tower mount during surfing, you might want to try using the medium or narrow field of view setting. The wide angle setting will be way to wide for any usable footage.

When wakeboarding, the tower gopro will pretty much be useless, the rider will be too far away. Might want to try shooting from a tube either in front of or behind the rider. That is the best use for a gopro.

I like to shoot at 1080 @ 60fps. If your computer is slow and you don't have big memory cards, shoot at 24 or 30 fps at 720. The new higher fps and higher resolution really does a number on slow computers.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
I agree with everything above. The GoPro is completely useless past 10 feet or so
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smylie View Post
For the tower mount during surfing, you might want to try using the medium or narrow field of view setting. The wide angle setting will be way to wide for any usable footage.

When wakeboarding, the tower gopro will pretty much be useless, the rider will be too far away. Might want to try shooting from a tube either in front of or behind the rider. That is the best use for a gopro.

I like to shoot at 1080 @ 60fps. If your computer is slow and you don't have big memory cards, shoot at 24 or 30 fps at 720. The new higher fps and higher resolution really does a number on slow computers.
The silver edition doesn't do 1080 @ 60FPS, only the black does that. The silver's highest resolution is 1080 @ 30FPS.

I just got my silver edition, so I've only done the around the house thing thus far. For that type of video taping (and I am guessing for the tower as well) I like the 1080p @ 30FPS in narrow view (must have protune turned off to access narrow view).

Only reason I got the silver was because the white was on backorder and Bakes gave a really good deal on the silver. I don't think paying the $100 difference between the two gets enough improvements for the money...paying 1/2 that does.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-08-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
Little video I made from our summer vacation last year.
Several different mounting positions.. most all shot using 960X48
Good Resolution / reasonable file size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVSXXiuLfcg
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-08-2013, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Only reason I got the silver was because the white was on backorder and Bakes gave a really good deal on the silver. I don't think paying the $100 difference between the two gets enough improvements for the money...paying 1/2 that does.
I thought that too and I bought a white when they first came out.. that was a mistake, the white is basically the same as a Hero 1 only it has WiFi built in. It is only a 5MP camera. Was not impressed at all.

The Silver is very similar to the Hero 2 again with built in Wifi and similar resolution settings. The black is where its at though IMO.. 1080X60, 720X120, low light improvements, etc... I just wish they would sell it naked without the remote control, especially since there is a free app to control it..
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
I thought that too and I bought a white when they first came out.. that was a mistake, the white is basically the same as a Hero 1 only it has WiFi built in. It is only a 5MP camera. Was not impressed at all.

The Silver is very similar to the Hero 2 again with built in Wifi and similar resolution settings. The black is where its at though IMO.. 1080X60, 720X120, low light improvements, etc... I just wish they would sell it naked without the remote control, especially since there is a free app to control it..
For my needs I just didn't need the Black. I agree they should sell the Black without the remote as the App is better than the remote anyway.

They also need to allow the app to see the video in real time and do playback. That is a HUGE downfall. I ended up ordering the LCD touchscreen this weekend due to the lack of playback ability. The downfall of that is you can't have that with the floaty backpack, so I have to pull the touchscreen when taking it out on the water. Never a perfect solution.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-08-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
couldn't you just get a piece of foam and make your own floaty backdoor?

also, I believe the Hero 3's with a backpack will fit in a Hero 2 regular case
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
couldn't you just get a piece of foam and make your own floaty backdoor?

also, I believe the Hero 3's with a backpack will fit in a Hero 2 regular case
I could - but then I couldn't see or use the LCD touchscreen. Heck, I could just attach the floating piece to the LCD"s backdoor instead of foam. What they need is a floating attachment to the sides of the camera...that would be the ultimate setup. I've seen a 3rd party flotation unit that hangs off the bottom, but that's kills any chance of using it with mounts (and I want the flotation as a backup in case the mount fails).
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-08-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
How about maybe using a piece of backer rod as a floaty. if you used one of the long extensions up off the clip mountand then could get a piece of backer rod that had a large outside diameter and a smaller inner hole you could make a foam ring that fit around the extension and between the mount clip and the camera itself like a doughnut.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-08-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Little video I made from our summer vacation last year.
Several different mounting positions.. most all shot using 960X48
Good Resolution / reasonable file size

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVSXXiuLfcg
Cool vid. Question for you though. How did you do the rope mount on the line??
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-08-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
Cool vid. Question for you though. How did you do the rope mount on the line??
Pretty much copied it off this thread..

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789200
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       04-09-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
@ Russ - backer rod. Must be in construction. Most will not know what backer rod. is :^)
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-09-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavinder View Post
@ Russ - backer rod. Must be in construction. Most will not know what backer rod. is :^)
Yes your correct, Backer rod is most commonly used in construction as a joint filler..
but it is also used to make things like pool floats and stuff like that..
Attached Images