Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-01-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
It's so strange. I don't like techno a single bit, electronica falls flat for me, but this dubstep stuff... I have to admit I am feeling it.

Emalkay - Mecha

wait for the 45 second mark, sounds like some kind of insane machine is activated.
If you have a subwoofer, check it on that stereo. When the "machine" is activated in the song, the bass goes lower than my system can handle. 20HZ or something. Phenomenal.

Diary of an Afro Warrior (another subwoofer destroyer)

Benga - 26 Basslines

Cookie Monsta - Deadbeat (very weird one, still cool)

I have about a zillion of these. But this is basically what the genre is. Super filthy, insane basslines, almost always instrumental only.

Am I the only one that likes it?

Last edited by juniorhawk; 05-01-2011 at 9:49 AM.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-01-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
nope youre not the only one. dubstep is huge here at VT and really everywhere now. Bassnectar, Skrillex, and Rusko are becoming household names. I love it when done right, but cant stand it when it sounds like fax machines having a seizure (ie newer skrillex)
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-01-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Rusko - yep. Cockney Thug. Awesome, awesome song in my opinion.
VT = Virginia Tech or Vermont. NVM I looked at your profile -- Vigrinia.

Thanks for the response. It isn't for everyone for sure. But if you want to give your subwoofer an exercise. Actually if you want to make your subwoofer bend its legs behind its head.... dubstep is going to be my recommendation.

Rusko - Cockney Thug (EXPLICIT LYRICS, WARNING)
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-01-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
I just did what I recommended. I played that Mecha song on the loudest stereo in the house. 15 inch sub tucked in the corner of my TV room.
IT IS SO FREAKING LOUD. It does shake the house. It does.

Early reviews - just in:
My wife doesn't like it. "Too repetitive"
My Daughter likes it "It's dinosaurs fighting"
Son, mah man, 1yr old. Dances to it. So - a thumbs up from him.

I am going on record as saying it's awesome and creative and has a place in my collection for absolutely sure. I do recognize it isn't for everyone but it's undeniably neat in a filthy, rough-cut way. Thumbs-up.

Cool genre in general because there are some total amateurs/unknowns putting out remixes that are as sick as some of the known guys' work.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 05-01-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: reviews just in...
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-01-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
This thing is pretty rad too:

So is this Innocence sendup by Nero:

Last edited by juniorhawk; 05-01-2011 at 4:48 PM. Reason: had some more...
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-01-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
sounds like robots having sex!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-01-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
I'm the same never really been that into electronic music, but I've been to a few gigs with my girlfriend lately, and I actually like it quite a lot. Not real sure why I just do.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-01-2011, 9:04 PM Reply   
Definitely not a thing where I am, but I've been getting more into it over the past year and a half. I hate electronic/techno, but for some reason I really like dubstep (especially the remixes of past songs).

Some additions to the ones above (switch the quality to 720p, sounds quality is 100x better):

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
It's pretty big here in TX. We had a fantastic club scene in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's that I grew up in, but over the years clubs have been shut down and its slowly faded away. Dstep is about the only form of electronica that has any sort of momentum left and can be found being spun at a few local bars a few nights a week. I grew up listening to and spinning house and breaks in the clubs and Dstep is just something I can't really get into, but I've just moved on entirely from that style of music since all the clubs went away. It's funny, a lot of the remixes of total cheese being put down in Dstep would've been torn to shreds in any other genre a decade ago. Funny how things do total 180s. I've heard some stuff that has got my head bobbin', but I've yet to go searching for Dstep tunes like I used to do with other styles.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Sounds like Robot's having Sex LOL!
All music has diffrent generas. I hate country music. But Im sure if I looked enough I could find a genrea or Artist or style that I liked. I guess its just wanting to look hard enough to find somthing you like. That said Im not a real big fan of it, But who cares. If you found somthing that you like and gets you going "rock it"
Quote:
Dstep is about the only form of electronica that has any sort of momentum left
. Would you say House is in a diffrent catagory? I have seen House listed as Dance and in Electronica.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-02-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
"Would you say House is in a diffrent catagory? I have seen House listed as Dance and in Electronica."

Electronica, Dance, Techno, Ooomph ooomph ooomph music, whatever you want to call it. Where I'm at, House died when all of the big clubs that were predominately known for playing House shut down. You can find some jocks slinging house tracks here and there, but far and away, the nightlife here is predominately Dubstep now.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
Stanfield: Ummm I don't wanna Hyjack the thread but, I gotta disagree with you. House has been here for a long time its not dead infact I say the oppasate I think House Music is more popular than it has been in a long time. Dont know where your from But here in SF All the big clubs are playing Guess what HOUSE. Go to Vegas what do you think they are playing. HOUSE
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaskade?.../4/cJfngkm6Db8
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
LOL, relax guy. I never said house was dead, I know it's still alive and kicking. If history has shown us anything, it's that as long as there are nightclubs, there will be 4/4 based music. Ie. house, disco, garage, etc....I'm just saying that in MY neck of the woods, house has sort of fizzled out and been replaced by Dubstep as the bigger clubs shut down and the underground music scene has moved into smaller, bar type venues. Of course house music is still going to be huge in San Fran haha.

I really don't understand how you've missed my point. Even in the title the question is asked as "where you are." In every one of my posts I've made it perfectly clear that I'm talking about "where I'm at", not making sweeping statements about the industry as a whole.

Last edited by stanfield; 05-02-2011 at 4:33 PM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-02-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
I started listening to Dubstep a few years ago. I loved it at first and do still like it but it's pretty much run its course with me. I've got quite a but of it on my iTunes still and will throw it on here and there, especially some fun remixes but for the most part I'm over it. Check out Datsik he's one of my favorites

Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-02-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Local talent from NZ

Dude was mixing Metallica - Seek and Destroy when I saw him play at Wakefest, got my attention.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-02-2011, 9:14 PM Reply   
Dubstep is what Megatron sings in the shower.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2011, 11:10 PM Reply   
We call it dumb-step here. Like all things done well its cool, done badly it blows donkeys.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
We call it dumb-step here. Like all things done well its cool, done badly it blows donkeys.
Exactly this. If its done right, its awesome. If done poorly, it sucks. It's definitely not for everyone though. My favorite is the hip-hop influenced dubstep, or for that matter, the dubstep influenced hip-hop.

For what I mean, check out Sam Adams' songs "I Got em Like", "Hold On", and "Basshead".
501 has some good stuff, and Rusko's mix of Kid Sister's "Pro Nails" is one of my favorites.
Old    bigdtx            05-06-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-20-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
if you guys are into dubstep you should check out my friends blog. more dubstep then you would ever need haha

http://www.foreignbanguage.blogspot.com
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-20-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
I also like Dubstep...I'm surprised it's caught on and has the following it does.

I used to be in to drum and bass and jungle when I was teen...DJ's like AK1200, Aphrodite, DJ Dara, Diesel Boy, etc. Dubstep, to me, is an evolution of D&B. I also used to be really into popping...I'll still bust it out if I'm drunk sometimes...lol
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-20-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
Now you guys need to learn how to dance to DUBSTEP.....do like this girl
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-20-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
My favorite Dubstep song

AND...the absolute best popping I've ever seen. Full screen recommended.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-23-2011, 1:20 AM Reply   

skrillex is by far my favorite dubstep artist out there.

beware! this noises in this song are filthy and you might need to shower after hearing hahahaha
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-23-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
found me some new music!! thanks for the tunes.