Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
I have an old tom tom gps. I have been wanting to update my maps for a while but thought it might be better to get a new system. I then heard about the tom tom ap for the iphone and figured i would do that for $50. anybody have advice that has used that or recommend another option.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Although I've rarely used it, I think free google maps does the trick nowadays.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
I use the google maps/nav app on my droid phone - works great.... Just as good as my car's gps,
and its free
Old    deltahoosier            03-30-2011, 2:52 PM Reply   
The google map that comes on the Iphone will not work if you drop cell coverage. I have the Tom Tom and love it. It stores all the maps on your phone so you will not be without. Also, you can load the Tom Tom app on all your Ipod and I phones with a single purchase. I have it on 3 or 4 devices. Totally worth it. I think you can get the USA only version for $40.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
My Motorolla Atrix Android phone rocks. I use google maps NAV. It's better than most NAVs. They sell a window mount for the phone too.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2011, 3:40 PM Reply   
I use MotionX nav on my iPhone, it's sweet and cheap.
Old    deltahoosier            03-30-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
Just remember, those apps have to be able to continually download maps from the cell towers. If you get out of cell range, they will not work. Tom Tom downloads all the maps to your phone. It also gives voice directions. I have also used the free version of Motion X and the Google. Both are nice, but does not compare in my opinion.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
On my Atrix, google NAV gives me turn by turn directions with street names. The streets are also in 3D perspective. It also adjusts zoom as you get near turns. It's sweet. And, yes, it requires cell service. Its also a great phone, web browser and facebook/email message puller.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Just remember, those apps have to be able to continually download maps from the cell towers. If you get out of cell range, they will not work.
If you cannot figure out where you're going while out of cell range (anyone been out more than 10 minutes while driving?!) , probably shouldn't be driving....

Once pulled it you can go through all of your parts/pieces of the directions once loaded, just won't get the turn by turn if you lose coverage
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-30-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
I use the Google maps on my iphone and they work pretty well but be prepared to lose reception right when you need it. It has happened to me a few times, mainly on back roads, our 3G coverage is not so great here. You can keep the map open and as long as you don't scroll to a part that hasn't been downloaded so you can still use it like a normal map, you just won't get your position until the network connects again.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-30-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
The TomTom app for the iPhone is designed to be used with an external cradle which gives you a more powerful GPS. I was told by the TomTom guys not to use it without it. Supposed to be the best gps program - it is also the highest priced app at the appstore (I was told). Google maps on the iphone doesn't have audible turn by turn directions that I miss. Must be patented by someone else.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
I have GPS built into all of my cars and I never use them. I use my IPhone exclusively for direction. I am really good with direction and if I get in a general location I can figure it out, so I don't spend a lot o time using it, but it has never failed me. I used it a lot in Hawaii.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
"I was told by the TomTom guys not to use it without it." Sounds like a good sales guy. What does the cradle add to it besides holding it in place?
Old    deltahoosier            03-31-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Tom Tom guys are lying to you. I use the Tom Tom app on several devices without the cradle including a friends Ipad and a Ipod. I don't have a cradle but I may want if for my wish list because it would be nice to have it displayed well. For a $40 investment, I have multiple GPS devices. Pretty cheap really. You can get the cradle which makes it nice to have displayed, but not a absolute. It also will give you a 3d display including a street level view of which lane you need to be in for a highway interchange. The google maps are great. Nice interface and integrated into the phone functions. Just been burned by No signal or the dang thang switching to Edge. Lucky I knew were I was going already, but in hi use areas, the bandwidth of the network gets overloaded. For instance, Lake Tahoe over 4th of July. Forget about it. I could hardly make a call never mind use my google GPS. Also, had issues around large sporting events. Maps don't work too well on edge network as well.

Nice Logic Nick. You could actually equally say if you need a GPS, you should not be driving. Most people don't need a GPS until they are going somewhere they are not familiar with and if that area is not in a place that has service then you are screwed. I got caught in that scenerio a couple of times. Also, California has many hills and valleys. You would be very suprised how many places you can not get a consistent signal I obviously made due but if you want reliable GPS, you really should get something that has the maps pre-downlloaded.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-03-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Let me rephrase what I said. I was speaking to the Chief Technology Officer of TomTom - not a sales guy. He was saying that the biggest limiter of the iphone was the strength of the GPS. He was telling me that the performance of the TomTom application is significant'y improved with the cradle and if you just want to use google maps you will essentially get the same gps performance with the TomTom app - which he said was lame compared to the TomTom app with the cradle.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-15-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Jason, and all.

Any update on this subject?

I would like to install a GPS app that integrates the SIRI voice support for input functions and locations. I also want something with good traffic that intelligently chooses the best route. My current 2 year old TomTom XXL with traffic does dumb stuff like routing me into the busiest city streets all of the time. On a recent trip back to New Jersey one of my coworkers newest technology Garmin units kicked the TomTom's butt when it came to choosing the best route.

I want to download one of the third party GPS apps to my phone but don't really want to pay the AT&T for their navigator. Happy to pay $50 for something that includes turn-by-turn, SIRI input, traffic, with decent graphics.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-17-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
Between On Star and Google App on the iPhone, I'm well covered.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
I am with JRod - Was just down south for a week - Used Siri and and stock Iphone Map app - Never made one turn, got myself out of bad traffic and never got lost.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2012, 12:14 AM Reply   
Navigon. Done. Works perfectly, integrates voice prompts seamlessly with music playing off IPOD or Pandora. Very clear interface, much better than my TomTom XXL. Now I am rocking only device on the dash again.