Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (78Triple6)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
new to me, having trouble getting used to the size/weight/loading. looking for some life hack tips on this one.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
i haven't loaded this boat/trailer combo but on windy days when its harder to get centered i let the trailer do the work for me. When backing in, dunk all the bunks so theyre good and soaked then pull out a little ways so that they aren't as deep and the boat will catch on them before going all the way on. Come in really slow tapping in gear and back to neutral to control speed. If you're holding it in gear thats too fast. When the boat touches the bunks keep it in gear and check that its aligned properly then power forward and the bunks should keep it aligned. Make sure nobody is near the trailer winch etc so theres no chance of crushing anyone in the process of course. New helpers around boats are prone to sticking hands, arms, feet and legs out to try and help protect the boat and end up getting hurt not realizing how much mass these things have. Go out on a Wednesday when nobody is around and practice, its like any other boating skill the more you do it the better you'll become and figure out what works for you.

Last edited by bass10after; 05-13-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-13-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Are you having problems with how the trailer tows or with getting the boat onto the trailer from the water properly?
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       05-13-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
http://www.ramp-n-clamp.com/product-p/latch.htm

this product is new, and is absolute money. couldnt have made the design simpler or more effective.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-13-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
If you are having issues it sounds like you are too deep. Do like Detox said. Then again this is coming from a guy who still winches his up just to be OCD
Old     (78Triple6)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
thanks Detox. Art, it's only putting the boat on the trailer from water. I think that part of the issue is that it's much heavier then the last boat and doesn't maneuver as well fast so I counter that with oversteering, come in crooked and can't seem to straighten out. Plus the two tip front is throwing me off from a traditional bow as well.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
That's where tapping in and out of gear will help. Come in straight as possible and make minor corrections as needed. Turn the wheel a bit and tap forward then come back to neutral. It helps to just drive the boat a lot so you have a feel for where the wheel needs to be.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
I would say you need to practice more with the boat and just try to limit the steering corrections. You shouldn't have to correct more than a few inches each way. Another tip might be to instead of coming in dead straight is start from the left side. That way if you have to put it in reverse it will straighten the boat out.
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
I think the key is to slow down, for me it is a bump the throttle, correct and bump. This is a common constant when maneuvering any inboard. Your steering correction needs to be in advance of the throttle bump, the boat will not steer much unless under power.

I get lined up using the above method, in calm water it is very slow, in current or rough water you have to be a little faster, however, once I am (helm) about in line with the trailer guides, hit reverse, no throttle and the boat will just settle onto the bunks. From there you can correct a bit if needed and slowly power up to the bow roller or boat buddy, the bunks should center you up.

You can use reverse as a bit of a thruster, with a quick bang of the throttle, just remember, it will move the rear to the starboard side. I have an X25, came from an X2 and will say the bigger boat requires you to be a bit more aggressive with the reverse bump when needed.

Also, mentioned above, the Ramp N Clamp is the real deal, a huge improvement over the boat buddy.
Old     (78Triple6)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
thanks guys, I'm not going to give up!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-13-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
bump/neutral, bump/neutral - almost instantaneously. Spin Steering Wheel BEFORE the bump.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-14-2014, 3:17 AM Reply   
remember dont bury the trailer. If you pull up a bit the boat will sit down in its proper place on the trailer. Have your bud winch it up as you tap the gas to give a lil help. Can be done in less than a min and your not hogging the ramp.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-14-2014, 6:11 AM Reply   
If it has a boat buddy then get rid of it. Replace it either with the new Ramp N Clamp (Which I have no personal experience with) or a 3 piece roller (The one for a 3" bracket) and safety chain. Me ('00 230 VRS) and my friend ('07 X2) both did the latter years ago and have vastly preferred it to the Boat Buddy.

Don't forget the safety chain as you need redundant attachment points to the trailer. The winch is your "primary" and the chain will be your secondary connection should the winch strap break (They do often break too especially if stored outdoors).

As others have said, approach the trailer slowly and make small adjustments. I come in slow and let the guide poles guide me in. Once the boat is straight and settles between the bunks I give it some throttle to bring it up close to the bow roller and then leave it in gear while I go to the bow and attach the winch strap.

Also, many people do it but never disconnect the winch strap or safety chain until the rear of the boat is in the water when launching. If you do you could end up prematurely launching that X-Star right onto the concrete ramp. I've seen it happen.