Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-15-2020, 2:04 PM Reply   
Looking at these 2 boats. I know personally that the B52 has a great surf wave. The interior is very cheap looking to me though. The Makai interior is NICE!! How is the surf wave of the makai? Never been on the water with the makai. Just looking for some opinions of people that have been on both boats. Thanks!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2020, 2:18 AM Reply   
MB is very rare to see on the east coast, so you need to also pick based on where you live, what your options are to resell. The moomba will have a better resale.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-16-2020, 11:40 AM Reply   
Where are you located? I haven't been on a Makai but I can tell you that I love our MB F22. Moomba definitely seems to have upped their game over the past few years.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-17-2020, 1:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
MB is very rare to see on the east coast, so you need to also pick based on where you live, what your options are to resell. The moomba will have a better resale.
I am in Arizona. MB is big here. The surf waves are great! Moomba quality has not been great until the last few years. I was very surprised when I looked at a new Makai.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-17-2020, 1:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurfer View Post
Where are you located? I haven't been on a Makai but I can tell you that I love our MB F22. Moomba definitely seems to have upped their game over the past few years.

I am in Arizona . I also looked at the F22. How was he surf wave on it?
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       02-17-2020, 3:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarc View Post
I am in Arizona . I also looked at the F22. How was he surf wave on it?
Absolutely love our F22. Surf wave is long and powerful. I guess that's not really surpising with 5K in factory ballast capacity (actually it surfs best with it not all the way full) plus typically another 800 in th bow. The wave may not be as "pretty" as the wave behind a Malibu, for instance, but is much firmer and with lots more drive in my opinion. I'm 220 lbs and can pretty easily ride up to about 20 feet back from the platform and recover up to the most powerful and tallest spot, which on my boat is about 12 feet back. They make a steeper wave face than boats with flatter hulls and/or "surf gate" style devices. I personally prefer that steeper wave, but that is a preference thing.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       02-17-2020, 9:47 AM Reply   
The resale on both MB & Moomba sort of suck no matter where you are. Watch craigs, watch onlyinboards. People sit on either brand for a while. The MB wave is amazing. The Moomba wave while not bad can't be compared to the MB, it isn't bad, it just isn't as big. IMO, once you get over the $60k & up price most people only want the big names; Malibu, Tige, MC, Natuiqe. There are some crazy good deals out there on 2018-2019 B52's & they just keep dropping their prices. As for interior comparison? I'm confused by that, the Moomba is every bit as "cheap" looking as the MB. MB uses better quality vinyl though IMO
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-17-2020, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurfer View Post
Absolutely love our F22. Surf wave is long and powerful. I guess that's not really surpising with 5K in factory ballast capacity (actually it surfs best with it not all the way full) plus typically another 800 in th bow. The wave may not be as "pretty" as the wave behind a Malibu, for instance, but is much firmer and with lots more drive in my opinion. I'm 220 lbs and can pretty easily ride up to about 20 feet back from the platform and recover up to the most powerful and tallest spot, which on my boat is about 12 feet back. They make a steeper wave face than boats with flatter hulls and/or "surf gate" style devices. I personally prefer that steeper wave, but that is a preference thing.

Thank you for the info! I never did like the Malibu waves. I have owned a few Tiges and the waves were nice. The mb waves seem to be much longer then most boats.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-17-2020, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat2wombat View Post
The resale on both MB & Moomba sort of suck no matter where you are. Watch craigs, watch onlyinboards. People sit on either brand for a while. The MB wave is amazing. The Moomba wave while not bad can't be compared to the MB, it isn't bad, it just isn't as big. IMO, once you get over the $60k & up price most people only want the big names; Malibu, Tige, MC, Natuiqe. There are some crazy good deals out there on 2018-2019 B52's & they just keep dropping their prices. As for interior comparison? I'm confused by that, the Moomba is every bit as "cheap" looking as the MB. MB uses better quality vinyl though IMO

You're right , Most people just buy new cause of the low payments. So resale on low end boats are weak. The boat prices will come way down after the economy crashes . It will happen soon. People just can't afford this luxury anymore.There really is no justification for the prices to increase 6 - 10 percent every year. Autos don't even go up like that. The boat industry is taking advantage of people. When the recession hits there will plenty of these boats up for auction haha.
Old     (Throwaway1)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-25-2020, 5:51 AM Reply   
Interesting on your thoughts on the MB interior. I feel like its MUCH nicer than the Moomba. Just more basic (no movable reversible cushions and whatnot) The boat in it's entirety is build better too.
As far as resale, as long as you live in an area with an established dealer for both, resale will be totally FINE. I feel like there is far too much speculation on this board for what a boat sold for new, then again used. Far too many variables.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-25-2020, 6:07 AM Reply   
Don't the new MB's have hinged seat cushions now too? MB is as close to the luxury market as you can get IMO. Surf system, high end stereo, hinged seats, quality vinyl, Billet towers, GatorStep flooring option. I've never gotten into an MB and thought the interior was subpar.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-06-2020, 12:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwaway1 View Post
Interesting on your thoughts on the MB interior. I feel like its MUCH nicer than the Moomba. Just more basic (no movable reversible cushions and whatnot) The boat in it's entirety is build better too.
As far as resale, as long as you live in an area with an established dealer for both, resale will be totally FINE. I feel like there is far too much speculation on this board for what a boat sold for new, then again used. Far too many variables.
Have you been in the newer moombas? the rear bench is reversible for rear facing with a back rest, there is a rear facing back rest on the starboard side bench seat, the side bench seats are hinged, the bow seat backs are hinged for easy access to storage in front of the helm as well as store in the observer locker. There is a built in trash can in the floor as well. The rear locker now even have a latching mechanism so they wont fly open on highway ect. The MB interior is not bad, i don't think you can really say one is better than the other though.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-09-2020, 2:09 PM Reply   
Makai is 24 ft 5. Foot and a half is a lot of length difference in the boat world. Have to also consider stuff like storage, docking, trailering, etc. Makai is a big boat! The mojo is the 23 foot comparison for the b52.
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       04-19-2020, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat2wombat View Post
Uh What??? MB might have the highest resale in the industry. They hold their value incredibly well. The fit and finish on the MB is far superior to the Moomba in every respect, the Moomba is a foot and a half bigger and the B52 will out surf it. I want to like the Makai but for how big it is the surf wave disappoints.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2020, 2:18 AM Reply   
Update... I bought a 2020 MB B52. The surf wave is incredible. I do have the 1100lb plug and play sacks. I have had almost every wake boat brand out there and for the price the MB is the best boat on the market! I personally think that the boat market prices are way too high on the big brands. But its all personally preference I guess.
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2020, 2:45 AM Reply   
Congrats! Pics YO?
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2020, 11:01 AM Reply   
Here are a couple pics. I will post some pics of the wave next time I go out
Attached Images

Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2020, 4:31 AM Reply   
NICE! Congrats. Love the color combo
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-21-2020, 4:56 AM Reply   
Thank You!
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       04-21-2020, 6:42 AM Reply   
well done and you went all out on the stereo package too! Great boat, you wont be disappointed. I really like the Makai and was looking hard at it but the surf wave was just not next level like it needs to be to move from the B52.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       04-22-2020, 2:29 AM Reply   
Wow, great looking boat and Congrats on the MB! All the custom touches you are get from the factory on an MB are insane. Custom matched billet accents on the tower, logos, dash, etc. Things that always had to be done aftermarket are now factory options on their boats. I have this one coming to me right now.
Attached Images

Last edited by onlyinboards; 04-22-2020 at 2:29 AM. Reason: spelling