Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-23-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
How fast does everyone normally tow their boat? I usually stick to about 70 on the interstate. I am always having problems with tires and I am trying to solve the problem. I typically inflate them all to 50psi before taking off on a trip.

Can you pull them faster with 18" rims?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-23-2017, 11:55 AM Reply   
All depends on the speed rating of the tire. Check your sidewall for information about max speed. If it doesn't say specifically, it with have an alphanumeric load rating which also corresponds to a maximum speed
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
75-80.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-23-2017, 4:40 PM Reply   
Here are two links, the first is from the Goodyear Marathon RV/Trailer website, the second is from Kuhmo Radial 857 website. They both have a guide for tire inflation and if you inflate to 50 psi, you're only good up to 65 mph.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...E-E59335DE416C
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-23-2017, 8:31 PM Reply   
Goodyear's info on trailer tires and speed:

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       02-23-2017, 9:00 PM Reply   
I run close to 75 on my 5-6 hour haul to the lake every few weeks in the summer.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2017, 9:08 PM Reply   
What does everyone inflate their trailer tires to?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-23-2017, 11:53 PM Reply   
18" rims make no difference in a functional tow speed. If you run speed rated auto or LT tires they will handle the speed better than a trailer tire, if they have the load capacity. There are many factors that can make trailer tires wear or blow out. Load and inflation pressure are key but if you are on a dual axle trailer it is the load on each of the axles that you need to check, and that's hard without individual scales. It can also be due to alignment problems with the trailer tires.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-24-2017, 4:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium View Post
What does everyone inflate their trailer tires to?
Many people just inflate them to them max pressure listed on the sidewall, regardless of the load. I've always inflated mine based on the Goodyear chart referenced below. They are currently at 40psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post
Here are two links, the first is from the Goodyear Marathon RV/Trailer website, the second is from Kuhmo Radial 857 website. They both have a guide for tire inflation and if you inflate to 50 psi, you're only good up to 65 mph.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...E-E59335DE416C
Old     (srich5)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-24-2017, 8:51 AM Reply   
It looks like almost all trailer tires have a speed rating of 65. I wonder if passenger car tires are better? I have had great luck with horse trailer tires and they carry way more weight but I have had poor luck with boat tires. I think overall, they are a very cheaply made tire compared to car or truck tires. Most of them are only rated for 5-12k miles.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-24-2017, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srich5 View Post
It looks like almost all trailer tires have a speed rating of 65. I wonder if passenger car tires are better? I have had great luck with horse trailer tires and they carry way more weight but I have had poor luck with boat tires. I think overall, they are a very cheaply made tire compared to car or truck tires. Most of them are only rated for 5-12k miles.
Yea, 65 will be the highest you can get, but it's more a factor of weight and speed. Run them faster and they build up for heat for a given load.

I've had no issues with trailer tires...run them overloaded, underloaded, low pressure, over curbs, scrape the sidewall, pushing the sideways over asphalt, inflated and deflated dozens of times, etc. They seem indestructible to me. Just my experience.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-24-2017, 12:57 PM Reply   
I have had bad luck in the past with blown trailer tires that look to be in great shape. I was told the last time to make sure the tire PSI is up near the max rating for the tire. One of the worst things for a tire is heat, heat will generate faster if the tire is under inflated. He also said there is a date code on the side of each tire and trailer tires are only good for 5-6 years. I thought this was just bs from a guy trying to sell tires but all the tires that I had problems with that looked good were 7-9 years old. My brother-in-law blew a tire that was 8 years old and looked good.
I will replace mine every 6 years just to make sure.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-24-2017, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
I will replace mine every 6 years just to make sure.
This is good advice, I had an 8 year old tire on a car, that looked perfect, yet came unglued driving ~ 75mph.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2017, 3:46 PM Reply   
Any vehicle towing anything is limited to 55 mph in California. Running faster than 65 is begging for a ticket.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-25-2017, 3:42 AM Reply   
I prefer light truck tires rated for the load. On my current trailer though my rims are too small so I'm stuck using carlons.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-25-2017, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Any vehicle towing anything is limited to 55 mph in California. Running faster than 65 is begging for a ticket.
That's got to be pretty annoying.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2017, 9:00 PM Reply   
I may tow as fast as 70 but not in the vicinity of a Highway patrolman
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-27-2017, 9:11 AM Reply   
got car tires on mine. better load and speed rating
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-27-2017, 1:56 PM Reply   
Yeah, here is California any vehicle towing a trailer is limited to 55MPH. I usually set it on CC for 60MPH and enjoy the drive. Never had any issues with my tires, which is also helped by the slower towing speed I'm sure.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       03-09-2017, 10:42 AM Reply   
I tow at the speed limit up to 75. The caveat the boat is on a triple axle and I tow with a diesel 1 ton dually. So even at that speed it's very stable, I used to order tandem axle but they felt a little loose at higher speeds. So with tandem I rarely towed over 65.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-09-2017, 3:13 PM Reply   
I run about ~75.. I stop after 10 miles and check tires and hubs with the IR gun. If all is good Ill check again after about another 50. If all is still good I just keep going. I run 4 hours to the Keys every other weekend all summer and one big 13 hour haul to a TN lake end of summer. Big tandem trailer running 15" wheels and trailer radials.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-16-2017, 6:29 PM Reply   
I run 65-70. Never had a trailer tire failure. I forget what brand but I got them at the local trailer place already mounted on 15" steelies. I forget psi, but I run them near max, maybe 2psi under.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-17-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
I run up to 70..... you know on private highways lol (California) .
I think trailer tires are just cheap a$$ tires I take good care of my tires, brakes,and bearings and have still had failures . Heat is a big factor and anytime a tire has failed on me has always been a super hot day. I'm going to switch to car tires soon as have a set of 15 inch Chevy Rally wheels Painted white with chrome center caps and rings to match the boat and trailer I'm going to mount up . I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how well the car tires do .
Old     (Bob232)      Join Date: Mar 2017       03-20-2017, 10:16 PM Reply   
I am excited to see the end result. Please keep us updated.

Bob Clark
www.alexandriavatowing.com
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-21-2017, 4:50 AM Reply   
When putting new rims on a trailer, keep in mind trailer rims usually have a higher capacity that auto rims, both load and psi. Truck rims are usually similar to trailer rims.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-21-2017, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob232 View Post
I am excited to see the end result. Please keep us updated.

Bob Clark
www.alexandriavatowing.com
I will !!! i'm pretty excited my self . I hope it looks as clean as I think its going to .
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       03-21-2017, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
When putting new rims on a trailer, keep in mind trailer rims usually have a higher capacity that auto rims, both load and psi. Truck rims are usually similar to trailer rims.
I knew that but I figured if they can take the weight and abuse of a big block powered Chevelle or Impala they better be strong enough for my little Sanger . lol
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-21-2017, 9:08 AM Reply   
Next time I need to replace a trailer tire I'm just going to find some good used 17" mustang rims with good tires and run them. I haven't heard of many people that have car tires on a tandem axle trailer, pulling a wakeboard having any problems.
Old     (BobClark123)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-17-2017, 9:00 AM Reply   
They say speed is dependent on the weight of the boat and the ability of the tower.

Jeff Farmer
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
Throw them out after 6 years and "exercise" and heat them up if they are just sitting.
Old     (AncientCityCustoms)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srich5 View Post
How fast does everyone normally tow their boat? I usually stick to about 70 on the interstate. I am always having problems with tires and I am trying to solve the problem. I typically inflate them all to 50psi before taking off on a trip.

Can you pull them faster with 18" rims?
What are you towing with? I have always had good luck with Carlisle Radial tires. Good speed rating, 75+mph and they offer 10 & 12 ply tires. I have them on the boat trailer as well as my big tex. Downside is the wheel sizes they accommodate. Pretty sure 16" or 17" is the biggest in their higher ply tires.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-19-2017, 7:54 AM Reply   
I use light duty truck tires, never a blow out & I do 75-80mph all day.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-19-2017, 7:47 PM Reply   
XL load passenger tires on mine and run max air at 55 psi and 80 mph. Max cold air is a big factor