Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-21-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
Oddly enough this is over on PN.

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...on-for-the-g23
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-21-2015, 12:58 PM Reply   
It's also being discussed on themalibucrew.com
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-21-2015, 2:21 PM Reply   
I hope it looks better in person? Are they still using Indmar engines in them?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-21-2015, 2:48 PM Reply   
Due to recent events I actually know a little bit about this but the short answer is yes, there is something new in the works for Malibu.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-21-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Due to recent events I actually know a little bit about this but the short answer is yes, there is something new in the works for Malibu.

As in a motor?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-21-2015, 5:35 PM Reply   
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445474124.988556.jpg
Views: 7193
Size:  67.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445474134.704668.jpg
Views: 8240
Size:  83.0 KB

For those that haven't seen it

Someone on themalibucrew said that it has more subfloor ballast than any other boat on the market.

Hopefully running a 2:1 transmission with clearance for a 17" prop.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-21-2015, 6:13 PM Reply   
Does anyone else think that seadek on either side looks like f'ing s**t?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-21-2015, 7:26 PM Reply   
Nope that looks awesome
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-21-2015, 8:46 PM Reply   
Yes but, you can always remove it. Might make it look even more like a tri-hull though. Wake boats in general are not as beautiful as they used to be. (old man opinion). More function and less form now. Gotta roll with the times I guess... First manufacturer to master both will make a killing.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-21-2015, 8:53 PM Reply   
The bigger question is, why would you put that much traction where no one should be sitting or standing in the first place? I mean, I understand picking up someone at the dock needs a safe place to get in but, you could easily get in the side or nose up and not even need all that "front fender" stuff.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-21-2015, 9:44 PM Reply   
Hmm..... Looks like the 'Kirkland Signature' model of the Tige ASR
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-21-2015, 9:52 PM Reply   
IMO, the front half is FUGLY.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-22-2015, 1:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
So what is the ASR to the G23?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-22-2015, 3:45 AM Reply   
Of all the things to discuss, were really going to nitpick the sea deck? Welcome to wakeworld. No wonder it wasn't posted here to begin with.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-22-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
This is awesome! Can't wait to really see what this thing can do. Let's hope it's just not pushing waves and throws a mackin Wakeboard Wake.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-22-2015, 7:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
So what is the ASR to the G23?
Equate, Walmarts knock off brand to the real thing
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-22-2015, 7:49 AM Reply   
IMO, it's a great looking boat and am very interested to see how it performs.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-22-2015, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Equate, Walmarts knock off brand to the real thing
Blahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaah
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-22-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Of all the things to discuss, were really going to nitpick the sea deck? Welcome to wakeworld. No wonder it wasn't posted here to begin with.

Of all things? Well not much else to see from those 2 photos.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Might wanna slip off those GoGGles

But, don't worry, I'll still let you ride behind mine next year.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-22-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Of all things? Well not much else to see from those 2 photos.
You're right, we couldn't possible discuss the added freeboard, the aesthetic design of the outer hull and how it drastically changed from older Malibus. The obvious design queues taken from Axis boats. The walkthrough transom... You're right, the seadeck is the most obvious change to discuss (and inevitably rip apart).
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       10-22-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
Heck yeah......
Attached Images

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-22-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
Wow you saw all that from those two pics. Daum. I need my eyes checked. I always have liked their styling. Looks sharp for sure. Little Malibu and Axis combined. I will second the seadeck tho. Hopefully an option you can eliminate.

Naw if you're rocking this thing I will be booking a flight.

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-22-2015 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2015, 2:05 PM Reply   
I cry everytime I see one of these waketugs. My heart aches for some slumpin action
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-22-2015, 2:17 PM Reply   
Should be interesting to see how it handles considering Malibu has that reputation. That is one heck of a deep V up front.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-22-2015, 2:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
Might wanna slip off those GoGGles

But, don't worry, I'll still let you ride behind mine next year.
Guess I better keep inviting you out to the lake! So you can find flaws in the G23
If this is what Fournier is holding out for, he better build some bigger palm trees to hide it!
Winter riding is almost here Neil, and my heated driver and observer seats are calling your name!
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-22-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
Malibu made a Supra... Nice.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-23-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
I LOL'd
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-23-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
They probably got sick of Supra making Malibu's for the last few years.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-28-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
Ah, another large, ****ty, over-sized surf machine for the masses.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-30-2015, 2:45 PM Reply   

2016 Malibu Boats M235 by Mason Obray, on Flickr
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       11-02-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
I spy some steering wheel controls...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-02-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
There's a new M235 coming out?
Attached Images

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-03-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
I spy some steering wheel controls...

Correct. As the wheel turns the controls don't move. They stay upright. Way better than supra's steering controls
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-03-2015, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Correct. As the wheel turns the controls don't move. They stay upright. Way better than supra's steering controls
If you count having to completely take your hand off the steering wheel to use them as better than sure
Old     (Ride)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-03-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'd rather keep my hands on the wheel and have similar controls as my car rather than take my hand off and look down for the control...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2015, 8:37 AM Reply   
It is a Malibu... or an Axis... I can't tell. Doesn't matter, you know it will drive very well and will have a great shaped wake, I just hope it is a wake-forward machine and not a wave-forward machine. I do like the surf-gate under the swim platform. And the steering wheel controls.

The sea deck doesn't bother me, you can always order it without, or remove it. What bothers me is the color. The last few "new boat reveals" that I can think of all had hideous color ways. Just my opinion of course, but that green is not a common or popular color, so why would they build their $160k+ show boat in that color? Wake tractor did it too, same color... horrible. Tige ASR did it too... I am sure I am forgetting a couple others. Next time call up Dave Williams, or Chattwake, or Diggs to pick the colors... they always do really well, picking great colors that the vast majority of people will like, knowing that they will have to sell it at the end of the year.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-03-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
^^ah, it's a fairly simple concept.....make it stand out. Your all black boat doesn't get noticed as fast as a bright green one would. It doesn't mean you have to like the color. It's about being noticed and seen,
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-03-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Those steering wheel controls look great to me. In a car, as long as you are going straight, the wheel is always perfectly centered which is most of the time. Not so on a boat at all. Especially surfing. I think having the controls not rotate with the wheel actually makes sense.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-03-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
I'd rather keep my hands on the wheel and have similar controls as my car rather than take my hand off and look down for the control...
Agreed. Supra definitely has a better design in my opinion. Putting the buttons in the center is very counter intuitive to me. Not to mention Supra's wheel looks freaking sick. Not so much on this one with a button hub in the center with no real design on the wheel itself.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-03-2015, 2:38 PM Reply   
Lol no one has used it but already there are those that like one better than the other.....welcome to wakeworld.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-03-2015, 4:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD View Post
Lol no one has used it but already there are those that like one better than the other.....welcome to wakeworld.

+1

Last year, no boats had steering wheel controls... Now you're given steering wheel controls and they're not good enough or the other guy's is better.

http://youtu.be/ZFsOUbZ0Lr0
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-03-2015, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
If you count having to completely take your hand off the steering wheel to use them as better than sure

If you count pushing the wrong button and having to look down because your controls are upside down then sure....if you use them enough you'll remember where they are and what they do without looking.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-03-2015, 4:38 PM Reply   
This discussion is nothing without pics right? ☺️
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-03-2015, 4:42 PM Reply   
You guys must have tiny hands. Good thing humans have thumbs that are perfect for button pushing 😂
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-03-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
Just not my style. Not a fan of the looks or how it's laid out. Just my opinion
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2015, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
^^ah, it's a fairly simple concept.....make it stand out. Your all black boat doesn't get noticed as fast as a bright green one would. It doesn't mean you have to like the color. It's about being noticed and seen,
I think their simple concept is terrible. I have a more better simple-er concept.... reveal a boat that the majority of people would want sitting on their dock, or behind their tow truck, or in their driveway. Show me someone who has an off-grey and dull 70's-era-kitchen-green truck (that is not a company or business designed truck) and I will show you someone who, imo, has horrible taste, and I believe the vast majority of people would agree. In fact, I can say for certain that I have never seen a truck with these colors. I have seen white, black, red, blue, white and black, red and black, blue and black, brown, brown and black, grey, silver, silver and black....etc. Less than 5%, imo, of boat buyers would design their boat to look like this. I am comfortable with that number because of all the boats designed by the buyer (not including the dealer or team boats) on all the boat related forums I visit, I have never seen a boat this color way.

You can be noticed and seen without making people turn away in horror. The xstar reveal did that with their all black boat with the wrap and loud interior. A lot better looking color choice than this malibu. Now, as for the wake reveal of that very same xstar... huge fail. imo.

As for the steering wheel controls, I like the idea. Depending on what I am doing, driving unweighted at speed, surfing, wakeboarding heavily loaded, wakeboarding unweighted... my steering wheel is not always in the same position, having the controls in the same position all the time promotes a very user-friendly helm, imo. Like stated above, this should allow for quick muscle memory and heads up control. imo. Not sure why hydraulic height driver seat and steering wheel controls took so long to get here, seems like a simple addition to make your boat better than the competitors, imo.

Note to reader: IMO was overly used in my reply, imo, but this is wakeworld and our opinions on this forum are not recognized as opinions unless you use "imo", imo.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-04-2015, 6:03 AM Reply   
Great post Johnny.....imo
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-04-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
As mentioned above, most of the time you're driving your boat in a straight line. It's not like a car where the wheel is always moving. Most importantly for OCD guys like me, the steering wheel on a boat is always turned to one side. It's NEVER straight and true. So if your steering wheel, is always sitting at 1 o'clock, your steering wheel controls are are going to be at 1 o'clock also. That would drive me crazy.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-04-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
....and loud colors are in. I would rock those colors. Bright colors are fun. I'm sure traditional boring colors that you see on hundreds of other boats will also be available for the more conservation and "mature" crowd.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-04-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
....and loud colors are in. I would rock those colors. Bright colors are fun. I'm sure traditional boring colors that you see on hundreds of other boats will also be available for the more conservation and "mature" crowd.
This is wakeworld. We like our Malibus, Axis' and Nautiques, but only in primary colors, white, gray and black. Anything else is stupid.

Thank you.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2015, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
As mentioned above, most of the time you're driving your boat in a straight line. It's not like a car where the wheel is always moving. Most importantly for OCD guys like me, the steering wheel on a boat is always turned to one side. It's NEVER straight and true. So if your steering wheel, is always sitting at 1 o'clock, your steering wheel controls are are going to be at 1 o'clock also. That would drive me crazy.
I think those steering wheel controls are locked in place and the wheel turns independent of them so that they are always in the same place because...boat!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-04-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
I think those steering wheel controls are locked in place and the wheel turns independent of them so that they are always in the same place because...boat!
Yup.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-05-2015, 4:28 AM Reply   
Wakeworld people always gives me a good laugh. There are tons of loud colors on vehicles and boats, to each his own. Thanks guys.. Lmao....
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-05-2015, 12:21 PM Reply   
Grubb just posted this.
Attached Images

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
Looks like another not so close call for the G being taken down. Looks like a lightly weighted 23LSV wake.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-06-2015, 5:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesk8er2 View Post
Looks like another not so close call for the G being taken down. Looks like a lightly weighted 23LSV wake.

😂🙈 i love wakeworld.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-06-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
lol seriously? That wake looks way bigger than a 23LSV. Also, dude is shredding a wake skate, the boat might not even have full ballast.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-06-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
looks promising. interested to know how it's weighted. if that's just stock it's very impressive.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-06-2015, 2:29 PM Reply   
That is pretty cool that the steering controls stay perfect even when you turn. I wish my F-150 did that!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       11-06-2015, 3:13 PM Reply   
Is this a "no boots" Malibu!?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       11-06-2015, 3:13 PM Reply   
Pop a shuv, get all the luv
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Wave looks like a lightly weighted 23LSV 😏
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Old     (ILikebooty)      Join Date: Mar 2015       11-07-2015, 12:42 PM Reply   

Massi is 6' tall, and he's half way up the wave. Plus there is still wave behind him
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2015, 3:19 PM Reply   
Jeepers. It might have hit every branch when it fell out of the ugly tree but that wave looks colossal
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2015, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
lol seriously? That wake looks way bigger than a 23LSV. Also, dude is shredding a wake skate, the boat might not even have full ballast.
Doubt Grubb is riding without full ballast....

The surf pictures show what this boat was designed for.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Doubt Grubb is riding without full ballast....

The surf pictures show what this boat was designed for.

😂 again, I love wakeworld.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2015, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
�� again, I love wakeworld.
Were you on the design team for this boat or is the Malibu Kool Aid THAT good?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Were you on the design team for this boat or is the Malibu Kool Aid THAT good?

You assume a wake is mediocre from a PICTURE. Were you on the design team? You obviously know what the boat was designed for......
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 5:02 PM Reply   
Quote:

What have you been mixing with you're nautique kool aid?? Go home, you're drunk.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 5:20 PM Reply   
Top is a G23 stock ballast. Bottom is the new Malibu....you can't tell from a picture what a wake is like. Both are big.
Old     (ILikebooty)      Join Date: Mar 2015       11-07-2015, 6:12 PM Reply   
Both are huge
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Judging by the rapid fire posting, it's the kool aid.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-07-2015, 9:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Judging by the rapid fire posting, it's the kool aid.

Good one......
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-07-2015, 9:43 PM Reply   
I like the steering wheel controls.

I think it would be cool to be able to turn on your tower lights via the horn button. A few times I have been rolling along at night and you "think" you see something I the water and by the time you look down to find the dash mounted light switch you would have hit the Object! It would be cool to hit the horn and have the tower lights flash or constant on!
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-08-2015, 2:06 PM Reply   
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-08-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
Does anyone else get a kick out of surfers crouching up in a ball as small as they can to make the wave look bigger for pictures?

It reminds me of girls sucking in their stomach's for selfie pictures.
Old     (goridedoo)      Join Date: Jul 2015       11-08-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
Since when do selfies involve stomachs?

The crouching just helps give a little different perspective.
Old     (CHUCK_K)      Join Date: Aug 2015       11-08-2015, 5:36 PM Reply   
I still suck in for pics though. 😁😁😁😁